PDA

View Full Version : Outboard Life

Callsign33
27-01-2008, 10:33 PM
Hi Gents,

I note a lot of people are re-engining their boats. At what stage does an outboard engine , say a 4st, need replacing? Roughly, on average, at how many hours would you replace an engine?

Thanks.

deadbeatloser
28-01-2008, 07:23 AM
i am sure when the time comes you will know:-X
i would hope to get 3000hrs + out of my motor.. fingers crossed:)
dbl;D

Outsider1
28-01-2008, 09:45 AM
Hi Gents,

I note a lot of people are re-engining their boats. At what stage does an outboard engine , say a 4st, need replacing? Roughly, on average, at how many hours would you replace an engine?

Thanks.

As one of those repowering cs 33, I would observe that hours on the motor has nothing to do with the decision. Mine only had 400 hrs and was relatively lightly used. As dbl says 3000+ hours is quite feasible. The commercial users get 5,000 or more hours out of them.

The reality is that most recreational users would never get anywhere near those sorts of hours use in even 20 years (=250 hrs per year!!). Outboard are like cars in that regards, low hours and irregular use are not good for motor longevity.

The reason I am repowering is the old 2s just does not cut it any more. Too smokey, too thirsty and corrosion is starting to cause considerable extra maintenance costs. I was up for a new trim and tilt motor etc about $1,000 to fit. I decided I would prefer to put the grand towards some new technology instead.

Cheers

Dave

tin can marlin
28-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Mate 4 stroke are proven to last twice as long as 2 strokes.

deadbeatloser
28-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Mate 4 stroke are proven to last twice as long as 2 strokes.

:helpa::helpa::helpa::stupid::helpa::helpa::helpa: :rifle:

tin can marlin
28-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Somebody has lost the plot but who can blame him after spending $80 for oil on his white anchor. Have to say that i would have issues in my life if i was getting ripped off every time i went to the local boating shop.

Spaniard_King
28-01-2008, 10:54 AM
:helpa::helpa::helpa::stupid::helpa::helpa::helpa: :rifle:

DBL, you are obviously do not agree. On what do you base your opinion on that 4s will last twice as long as 2strks???

I cant wait to hear it!!!

Outsider1
28-01-2008, 11:04 AM
Somebody has lost the plot but who can blame him after spending $80 for oil on his white anchor. Have to say that i would have issues in my life if i was getting ripped off every time i went to the local boating shop.

How much did you say it costs to service your Yammy every year??

Cheers

Dave