PDA

View Full Version : Rec Fishing and Richmond River Fish KIll

RayDeR
27-01-2008, 09:12 PM
G'day!

The Richmand River fish kill has shown in spite of recreational fishermen's best efforts that the river had a massive amount of fish life in both variety and size.

The enormity of the Richmond River fish kill following the recent flooding is to say the least distressing to every lover of nature. The reasons for this kill have been outlined in other threads.

Although the Richmond is a very big river, I am sure many have been absolutely amazed at the number, variety and even the size of the fished killed.

I think it would be true to say that recreational fishermen have extensively, it not heavily fished this river. In spite of this extensive attention from recreational fishermen since the river was opened again to fishing since the last flood fish kill in 2001, the river still contained this huge number of fish that were killed. I would think that a huge number also escaped.

Even a blind greenie should see that here is a demonstration that a fishery can exist in excellent numbers even in a relatively restricted water space of a river with the good practices now being folowed by recreational fishermen.

Ray de R

Jim_Tait
27-01-2008, 09:39 PM
And as an open eyed greenie (and keen fisher) it tells me that:

(1) in Australia's intensive land use zone government agencies should be focussing on catchment and habitat management initiatives that restore ecosystem function in our workhorse rivers rather than simple trying to gain brownie (or is that greenie?) points for declaring protected areass that exclude rec fishers from chronically stuffed river systems (although I still belive there is a legitimate role for protected areas - where endangered species are at stake and/or where healthy breeding populations / recruitment centres can provide seed for adjoining areas or where we simply need representative areas we can study / compare to see what unfished populations look like) and

(2) That in Australia's extensive land use zone and other bits that aren't yet stuffed by intensive land use we need "protected areas' - i.e. Qld's Wild Rivers Legislation - that keeps out agriculture and other intensive land uses (but not fishers) so we don't end up having all of Australia's River systems in the same condition as the Richmond!!

Regards and tiught lines - Jim

RayDeR
27-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Thanks Jim!

I started this new thread so that we might consider the effect of recreational fishing on the Richmond River system. The discussion of the land use/misuse had a fair run in the other threads and my questioning even gave further opportunity.

Accepting the river is degraded and has heavy recreational fishing, the fishery seems to have done quite well until the recent flood. How well can be judged as I said by the variety, size and numbers of fish in the kill.

Ray De R

onerabbit
29-01-2008, 10:34 PM
Really not trying to be argumentative,

before the big kill in '01, there was plenty of fish in the Richmond.

When it happened, there were at least 5 times or more the dead fish stinking up the town, there were so many HUGE fish, the kind you never catch, everywhere.

The poor old river has hardly recovered from that one, & now this.

I rarely fish the river, once a month,

I would like to see it shut for at least six months.

I cant help wondering what all those people still on the river in tinnys are doing??? Cant all need to give the motor a run that bad.

Muzz