PDA

View Full Version : Boat Batteries

Jock The Rock
27-01-2008, 02:35 PM
hey fellas i just recently had my 15hp outboard serviced and had some battery connections fitted but not electric start.

all i want it for is to run some lights off it as well as a fish finder and maybe a marine radio.

i was thinking along the lines of one of the exide models on the website below?

http://www.exide.com.au/products/marine.php?emailtime=5f1412aa725174085b0f0f78c4de1 1e2

or is there a better brand?

thanks

Benny01
27-01-2008, 04:01 PM
just get a little motorbike one if you dont have to rely on it for starting. i just run a very small exide car battery because i dont have to rely on it to start the motor as ih have pull start as well so it dont matter if it gets a dead short out on the water.

Tailortaker
27-01-2008, 08:18 PM
I use a small battery (about size of motorbike battery) I bought it from battery world. I run nav lights, cabin light, sounder and radio off it with no prob and it's that small I use use a lunch box as a battery box....
Cheers TT

BaitThrower
28-01-2008, 02:32 PM
I got an AMPTech AGM 18Ah battery from BIAS for $89 to run my sounder and lights. Works well. They have smaller 7Ah ones for $30, depending on your needs. If you have LED lights then you might be able to get away witht he smaller battery... Depends how much powerr your sounder and radio use though. LED lights will run for ages on almost no power ;)

Adam_G
28-01-2008, 03:12 PM
In my old tinnie I had a 7Ah battery as weight was an issue. Predominatly I used it for the sounder and never had a problem. I only used the running lights to come home in the dark not to stay out all night. I would recomend using LED lights if you plan to stay out for a number of hours in the dark.

2 x running lights and 1 x anchor light at 5 watts each = 1.25A, so I think thats 5.6 hours of light with conventional incandesent bulbs.

My sounder used 0.3A so without lights I could get 23 hours use before charging.

3 x LEDs I think would use 0.75A so you could get 9 hours before charging.

I hope this helps your decision.

Adam

Jock The Rock
28-01-2008, 05:54 PM
thanks for all the advice ill have to look around and check out some prices

thanks again