View Full Version : Suzuki Verses Yamaha

Far side
26-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Starting to do the preliminaries on an upgrade
Have a choice between these brands in the 250 hp range 4 stroke
Could I get some feedback from owners good and bad please

Shanoss
26-01-2008, 07:19 PM
I dont know what warranty Yamaha are offering the days, but when i bought my Suzuki, Yamaha were only offering a two year warranty. Suzuki is now out to five years with theirs. Apart form that, it probably comes down to what colour you prefer. I cant say i have heard any bad things about either motor.

Shane.

P.S And i'm not sure weather Yamaha include a stainless prop in their pricing either.

Luke G
26-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Our Suzuki 250 was brillient, very good on fuel and lots of power.

Cheers

TCSunCoast
26-01-2008, 09:15 PM
Having had Suzi 2 strokes 115, 140 over the years and now upgrading to a 140 4 stroke suzi a few months ago I can say I was wondering about the diffference in power, especially out of the hole. I think the 4 stroke is better. Very quiet.
Having never had a yamaha i am always going to be pro suzi but I am sure the yammie guys are the same.

I reckon go the suzi.

The only thing I would fault is their stupid hour meter. When you turn the key on, the taco needle goes to the number on the gauge that represents the hours. Bloody stupid. I have now learnt that you can get an hour gauge from suzi at an extra cost. Not sure what yammie have.

snelly1971
26-01-2008, 09:28 PM
Starting to do the preliminaries on an upgrade
Have a choice between these brands in the 250 hp range 4 stroke
Could I get some feedback from owners good and bad please

Most of the Commercial Ab divers here were always Yamaha, they have over the past couple of years turned to Suzuki`s, I havent heard a bad report on the suzukis, except they had a recall on something to do with the flywheel on the bigger models?? and Yamaha had a problem with the anodes on the powerhead early on, I think this little glitches have been ironed out,

My personal choice would be a Suzuki...Better warranty .....and they seem to be a tad quieter....

Cheers Mick

Clyde
26-01-2008, 09:37 PM
Our new 175 is great (80hrs) except for the casting imperfections around the cav plate and lower leg area. Now I know about these I'd be paying close attention before handing over the cash. There was a thread earlier on this that has gone cold.....

Cheers,
Clyde

snelly1971
26-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Our new 175 is great (80hrs) except for the casting imperfections around the cav plate and lower leg area. Now I know about these I'd be paying close attention before handing over the cash. There was a thread earlier on this that has gone cold.....

Cheers,
Clyde

What Brand would help Clyde;)

Mick

Mr__Bean
26-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Which will be able to offer you the best support in your particular location for service and reliable parts delivery?

I think they are pretty much both right up there......

- Darren

FNQCairns
26-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Does the Yamaha run a timing belt in that size engine if so that is a negative IMO, another thing I noticed was yamaha seem (from memory) to make their 4 strokes as individual for each HP class, finely designed to suit each and no larger - could be a good thing or a bad thing.

In the past I have seen information is posts that relate the true HP of engines. A +-10% output allowance is granted to legally claim the number sticker on the cowl -10% of 250hp is a BIG decrease in real useable power, try and scour the net for those in the know for the true output HP of each engine.

cheers fnq

rubba
26-01-2008, 10:28 PM
hello mark i think bill is doing the same up grade as you have a talk to him mate8-)

tin can marlin
26-01-2008, 11:46 PM
Hi mate i just ordered a new boat with a yamaha 4 stroke and i did look at the suzuki but i went for the trusted name lets fave it suzy had paint issues in the 80's and they stop bringing them in from around 94. Yamaha have been here 25 years and you name one lemon they have built have you ever heard anyone say silver anchor etc. Also have more dealers in remote areas better dealer network etc. Haveing said all of above the suzy seems to be a very good product. Good luck either way.

Far side
27-01-2008, 05:52 AM
Thanks Guys for the posts Its a Hard one
Thanks Rubba (dale) Bill is going for the 250 Yammie
I have 240 hrs on the DF140 suz and yes Its a good motor
I have heard that the resale value is better on the Yammie but I dont know about that.
I have been told the non yammie brands are dearer to service and spare parts etc maybe a bit of a plug to sell the motor
Yammie have changed their warranty to match the suz
Both motors have variable valve timing injection etc
Its very difficult to get an independant opinion on this equipment because when you talk to a mechanic they either service one or the other. Yammie have been around for a while and Suz are the new kid on the block so to speak.
When you look around there are a lot of boats with the black and red motors on the back is it because they are better or is suz just buying market share?
decisions decisions

MyEscape
27-01-2008, 06:07 AM
I'd say the comment on dealer service in on the money. THere seems to be a "dominant" dealer in each area (well there is up in Central Qld - you notice more Yamahas in Mackay for example) so since there hasn't been many bad reports of either brand, then the dealer backup service is the one to go with.

Steve

Luke G
27-01-2008, 10:49 AM
The DF250 has been around longer, swings a bigger prop and is lighter. The rescue boat up here has 2 on the back and they get used day in and day out without any issues.

Cheers

jon80
27-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Suzuki has bigger capacity swings bigger dia. & pitch prop , has timing chain not belt also runs on std unleaded where yammie has to be run on premium ,however these two brands seem to be pick of the crop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

snelly1971
27-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Suzuki has bigger capacity swings bigger dia. & pitch prop , has timing chain not belt also runs on std unleaded where yammie has to be run on premium ,however these two brands seem to be pick of the crop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who told you ...That Yammies had to be run on Premium...All the dealers here recommend to run only Std unleaded in Yammies...????

Mick

Clyde
27-01-2008, 03:07 PM
Sorry Mick, DF175, one too many Corona's last night.......;D