PDA

View Full Version : MOTOR ....UP or DOWN

Mad-One
26-01-2008, 06:58 AM
After flushing your motor how do you leave your motor up or down till the next trip?

Cheers Mad

Poseidon
26-01-2008, 07:02 AM
I leave my motor down after flushing and till next trip.

- It fits better into the garage this way.
- The motor is resting in its normal postion and not putting weight onto the ram.

I don't know the 'proper' position but just the way I prefer.

Regards Cameron.

bay local
26-01-2008, 07:05 AM
I alway's leave my motor down. It help's drain all the water out after a wash and you know if your battery's still charged when you lift it up for your next trip.

Hazard
26-01-2008, 07:16 AM
I own a Yamaha F100 DET 100hp 4stroke 2007 model and the owners manual states; Page 44; "The motor should be stored in the normal running position." ie, down.

Regards,

Haz.

Vindicator
26-01-2008, 07:19 AM
Yeah I agree with you guys, I always leave mine down. Surely it must be better for it draining all the water you can after flushing.

Cheers
Kezza

Mad-One
26-01-2008, 07:37 AM
I have only just bought my boat and yes i left the motor down after flushing but yesterday I went to raise the motor and water came out of the leg. So it just made we wonder. Anyway Guy's thanks for the good advice
I will leave it down

Cheers Mad

TimD
26-01-2008, 10:03 AM
My motor has to be down or it wont fit in the garage :)

cheers tim

ozscott
26-01-2008, 02:02 PM
I leave my down after washing, but raise it and lower it a couple of times over the next few hours and then leave it down - gets all the water out and stops the kids running into the skeg or prop

mik01
26-01-2008, 03:02 PM
I leave my down after washing, but raise it and lower it a couple of times over the next few hours and then leave it down - gets all the water out and stops the kids running into the skeg or prop

yep - exactly the same. stops the water pooling. I actually tilt it all the way, so the skeg is just about touching the concrete. i find all the water drains out well.

catfishkid
26-01-2008, 05:04 PM
I am another one who has to leave the motor down or the boat wont fit in the garage,I have also noticed if i lift it up & down a bit of water comes out,glad to see this seems normal.

Cheers Craig

Gilli
26-01-2008, 05:12 PM
My mate is a marine mechanic with a local store here in townsville and he says that the motor must be stored trimmed right down to keep all pressure off the seals whilst been stored. The water must also be able to drain out of the motor whilst in storage to prevent rust/corrosion. I always leave mine trimmed right down so the water can get out of the prop and so that the gears still have a thick coating of oil on them, decreasing the rust or corrosion possibility.

polky
26-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Up and down a few times after flushing,then left all the way down. Polky.

KAGEY1
30-01-2008, 01:14 PM
Down And Full Right Lock And Then I Only Have An Inch Front And Back To Fit It In The Shed!
But Yes, All The Water Drains Away.cheers, Geoff

Manjilad
31-01-2008, 03:49 PM
Yes agree with all of the above - down is it PLUS I place small piece soft wood under the skeg and JUST rest the motor on that to take the weight OFF the transom (a rather important issue I think!) ..... and extra support for when people get into the boat etc.....
(my comments referr to a 175hp outboard on glass boat)
Cheers