PDA

View Full Version : Best book to ID fish

MickS
25-01-2008, 09:11 PM
G'day all

I reckon the Maroochy river has never fished better, must be the recent rain. Whats surprised me is the different species of fish that we are catching, not your normal Bream, Flathead and whiting. Recent catches include Estuary Cod, Pikey Bream(big fish I might add), Golden Trevally, and Javelin fish.

The Mrs hooked something she couldn't land, on 8 kg braid!

Just wondering if anyone knows of a good fish ID book, preferably waterproof, that they reckon is worth keeping on the boat.

And if either of the two blokes who helped us get back in on Thursday (and told me I had a Pikey Bream) after we had a flat battery are reading this, a big thank you. Really appreciate your help.

Cheers

Mick

Dan5
25-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Grant's book mate,i think their up to edition 5 million or something.Dan.........

roz
25-01-2008, 09:28 PM
G'day all

I reckon the Maroochy river has never fished better, must be the recent rain. Whats surprised me is the different species of fish that we are catching, not your normal Bream, Flathead and whiting. Recent catches include Estuary Cod, Pikey Bream(big fish I might add), Golden Trevally, and Javelin fish.

The Mrs hooked something she couldn't land, on 8 kg braid!

Just wondering if anyone knows of a good fish ID book, preferably waterproof, that they reckon is worth keeping on the boat.

And if either of the two blokes who helped us get back in on Thursday (and told me I had a Pikey Bream) after we had a flat battery are reading this, a big thank you. Really appreciate your help.

Cheers

Mick

Hi Mick,

IMO Grant's Book of Fishes is one of the best, however I'm not sure if his work is still published (heard a rumour). It's a rather large book and not suitable for the average boat BUT it covers everything, from eating quality to the identification of poisonous species, risks associated with handling certain fish. Also provides photos and an idea of habitat range, plus lots more.

there are free handouts provided by the QLD government with basic size and bag limits and some ID's.

r.

catfishkid
25-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Another for Grants Guide to fishes, Ern Grant is a very knowlegable gentleman,I am sure it is still available and my tip is there will be a new book done by his son.

Cheers Craig

Nic
25-01-2008, 10:07 PM
I agree, there are waterproof guides but I don't know of any that are as comprehensive as Grant's.

I've found www.fishbase.org to be excellent also. Grant's, for all its virtues, usually has 1 photo per species (sometimes 2). That's fine most of the time, but not when you catch one of those weird and wonderful reefies that have significant colour variation within a species. Fishbase is a big help then -- it often has 5-10 pics which show all the colour variations. It's good for trevallies too.

TonyM
25-01-2008, 10:12 PM
Yep Grants Guide to Fishes is the one you want!

Better still get 2 copies, one for the boat and one for the lounge room - I can't count the number of times it's come in handy.

Eagle
25-01-2008, 11:35 PM
My latest info on Ernie Grants "Guide to Fishes" was that the latest edition, the 9th, was sold out. A new edition is being brought out this year sometime. You might be lucky enough to find one unsold copy in a bookstore somewhere if you do a search on the www.
Grants book is probably the best there is. I love the stories he relates about the fish he has caught.

Eagle

TonyM
25-01-2008, 11:55 PM
Issue 11 should be out sometime soon this year according to the website http://www.grantsguidetofishes.com/ :P

I'll be getting one as my much loved old 1970 something edition needs an update!

charleville
26-01-2008, 07:25 AM
I'll be getting one as my much loved old 1970 something edition needs an update!

I use my 1980 edition more now than ever. I wonder if there is a lot of difference between editions. Ernie Grant has been retired for a while I think. :-/

FNQCairns
26-01-2008, 08:29 AM
I have been waiting 4 months for the new edition, will be better than the last lot....at least the one I used to have, this time there will be some (more) order within fish groups. Very helpful for those that are as a result further disposed to seasickness due to the fisheries regulkations here in OZ.

cheers fnq

catfishkid
26-01-2008, 09:12 AM
I use my 1980 edition more now than ever. I wonder if there is a lot of difference between editions. Ernie Grant has been retired for a while I think. :-/

Ernie is as about as retired as he will ever get but you cant stop him,he still goes sailing boating and fishing,its in his blood i think,his son now does the latest editions.

Cheers Craig

disorderly
26-01-2008, 11:19 AM
I use a book called "Marine Fishes of the Great Barrier Reef and South East Asia".
Authored by Gerry Allen ,published by the Western Australia Museum.
It's an easy to use 300 page field guide that concentrates on the fish in the area that I live and fish.

Scott

kingtin
26-01-2008, 11:56 AM
BUT it covers everything, from eating quality to the identification of poisonous species, risks associated with handling certain fish. Also provides photos and an idea of habitat range, plus lots more.

r.

So true Roz, which is why so many consider it to be head and shoulders above the rest. It simply has so much info that other (portable) manuals don't.

I sometimes wonder though, just why so many fishos consider certain species to be vermin, when Ernie, who is held in high esteem by those very same fishos, clearly indicates good eating quality?

It was he who first put me on to shovellies and catfish. I had previously eaten an unskinned catfish fillet and it was abysmal. On re-reading Grants, he clearly states that the fillets should be skinned before cooking. I followed his advice and the difference in taste was remarkable. Those catfish fillets are now highly prized by the deckie and woe betide me if I try to put 'em in the crab pothttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_1_103v.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNfox000)

The Verminator

deathstar 3
26-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Hey Kingtin

Are you talking about the likes of say a pine river cat fish?

Cheers John

kingtin
26-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Hey Kingtin

Are you talking about the likes of say a pine river cat fish?

Cheers John

That's the one mate. Blue catfish or armour plated catfish or smaller salmon catfish. It's bigger cousin the Salmon catfish I believe, is frequenting moreton bay more often as I have caught catfish at well over a metre in length.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/bidkev/catfish.jpg

kev

MickS
02-02-2008, 05:42 PM
I reckon this book may be good for on the boat. A bit more user friendly is size than Grants, although not as comprehensive.
http://www.filofish.com/