PDA

View Full Version : Do you have your doubts?

kingtin
25-01-2008, 05:57 PM
After a week on the tweed with the wind howling, I had plenty of time for thinking about my "investment" in fishing http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_12_6.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNfox000)

What I'd like to hear is your thoughts as to whether you have doubts about the money that you've got sunk into your hobby and the other factors that may influence your thoughts on fishing via boat. Is it still a viable proposition (or not) and is it getting to be more worry than it's worth?

My situation as you may well know is that I have over 80 grand invested in a whittley sea legend that has only clocked up 96 hrs in over 2 yrs. If I sold it, I'd probably come out with 65 grand. I reckon that I've done 30 trips at the most which in depreciation terms alone is costing me 500 bucks a trip. Even if I don't use it, Insurance, regos, servicing etc is costing me 40 bucks a week just to have it sitting on the drive. Now it isn't so much that I need the money for something else because fishing/camping is just about all I do..........I don't really have a need for anything else, it's more about (I think?) whether fishing is giving me today, what it used to give to me in the past?......... That's the money thoughts out of the way, now for other factors that come into play:

Petrol...............'nuff said!

Weather..........'nuff said!

Ramp rage...........'nuff said!

Jet skis.............after trying to fish from the shore at the Tweed..........'nuff said!

Closures.............well we all know how we feel about that!

Maintenance.................wheel bearings etc ? Do you all like buggering about with grease? ;D

Vandalism.................Do you really totally relax when you're out there?

Overnighters.............Did you envisage spending nights at Tangalooma or elsewhere, but worry about the above so don't go?

Family..............sea sick members etc.........I'm the only one that doesn't get sick in my mob ;D

Health...........There's a fairly large number of zipper club members here and also quite a few knackered backs. Can you/we/I afford to have the worries of the factors mentioned here or do you/we/I manage to totally switch off to these factors and simply concentrate on having "time out" fishing? I'm beginning to think that these factors are becoming more predominant (in my case), otherwise I wouldn't have started this thread ::)

I'm thinking that perhaps I get more out of the tinny than I do out of the whittley, and that maybe all the factors that I have been thinking of may eventually conspire to put the Whittley to rest?

Any other factors that I haven't mentioned, that detract from your fishing?

kev

Far side
25-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Kev fishing and boating are like golf
one good thing happens and its all worthwhile

dogsbody
25-01-2008, 07:18 PM
Gday Kev, Go back and look at all those photos of yours that were taken whilst out fishing.

Think of the good times shared with family and friends.

Now put a cost value on that.

Still counting are you. Thats your answer.

But i know what your talking about. Thats why i bought a tinnie cheap to get out there and cheap to run. For me totally worth it.

Dave.

Chimo
25-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Kev

If the family are still keen to spend time on the water by taking the necessary medication then the other issue you need to address is security for what you leave behind ie car/truck and trailer.

Why not look at joining an organization with a secure car park and trailer storage yard which will probably also have a restaurant and other facilities that you can all use as well?

Failing the above what about a waterfront place that you can head out from and not have t worry about the parking issue. The former is probably cheaper!

If you sell it you will regret it and probably kick yourself because of what the replacement items will cost if you decide to get back into it later.

Plus your pic are really good and we want to see more of them particularly with a marine bent.

Cheers
Chimo

fish_on
25-01-2008, 08:28 PM
yeah sold the big boat and bought a smaller one. getting lots more use out it. can get offshore enough with mates. think of the family mate think of all those fish you have caught. you will get rid of it all and then take up golf flat out or something. then youd wish you were out fishin

ozbizweb
25-01-2008, 08:30 PM
Any other factors that I haven't mentioned, that detract from your fishing?

You forgot the cost of replacing tackle but you also forgot a sunrise to die for, fresh air in your lungs, and the pure joy of going where you want to go.

alleycat
25-01-2008, 08:59 PM
Kev i reckon a 4.5 mtr tinny is near ideal for those living in brissy, and to add my mate has a 17 ft centre console and goes offshore often, ive caught 10 times more squire than he in the bay, its 2008, a big boat doesnt mean more fish, it means more cost ect.

Volvo
25-01-2008, 09:06 PM
Been asking myself the same questions for the past coupla years Kev:-/ , but the boats still parked in the driveway:) ..As long as you dont have to justify it $$ wise and nobody in the familly goes without due to it?? and offcourse you still have the ole sea legs yourve done with all these years, then why get rid of it???...
last trip i had out we ended up with a good feed of Lipper & Reds.
By the time the the Kids, grandkids etc got their share of the booty, following week i ended up down at the Fish Co-op purchasing two kilos of sweetlip fillets and a muddy all for the ripe ole price of $118:-[ ....
But,didna have ta fillet,skin,wash boat,bait,etc,etc,etc and one of those times i asked your same questions.
And now!!??, here reading your thread after checking out the weather forecast see if i can head out over the next day or so lol......
Enjoyed veiwing your Pics by the way and what i intend doing more of in retirement..
What Camera you using by the way??...
Cheers

25_ponies
25-01-2008, 09:06 PM
Kev,

I try never to think of hobbies and stress-relief pastimes as investments. Investments are things that you need to consider and manage without emotion and with the goal of maximising your return.

I'm careful about how I spend my money on hobbies, but the enjoyment I get myself (homebrewing) and for my family (boating) - you can't put a price on that. Plus, if you have a stressful or demanding job, you need something to take your mind off things.

I live with the knowledge that I only bring home a feed about 1 trip in 3, but I still go out in the bay or over to Moreton, and really look forward to the day when I can take my 3 month old daughter over to moreton to chase crabs and toboggan down the sandhills. If I sold my boat after 5 yrs and only got back a small % of the purchase price, it wouldn't worry me, as the memories as worth far more than that. I don't want a photo album of my daughter when she's 5 years old that's made up solely of photos of her sitting on the lounge.

We have one of the best marine areas on our doorstep. Fishing or not, it's still a great place to be.

As others have said, join a VMR or marina with a secured parking area. Maybe the Whittley is a bit large - maybe worth selling it and "rightsizing", but don't toss it in.

Alan.

charleville
25-01-2008, 09:37 PM
Hi Kev;

The economists use a term 'diminishing marginal utility' which is a $10 term to succinctly say that the more times you do something, the less pleasure that you get out of each extra time that you use it.

For instance, I caught a good swag of sand crabs on on trip last year and as I absolutely love eating sand crab, I had sand crab for each of the next six meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner twice. By the sixth meal of sand crab, I did not care if I never saw a sand crab ever again. The marginal utility of eating sand crabs had diminished to zero for me.

Likewise, in the first year that I left work (on long service leave), I went fishing up to six nights per week in all sorts of weather. In the second year, last year, after formally retiring, I hardly went at all and did not miss it as I had found other things to do.

Now though, I have not had a lot of success with catching sand crabs lately and I am also yearning to do some night fishing so I suspect that I will very gleefully step up both activities again this year.

Could it just be that you have had too much of a good thing and might need something else to try for a while?

In relation to your comments about bad backs, zipper club etc, despite my generously proportioned supersize, I have not suffered any of these issues thankfully but I am conscious that I am not the agile pup that I used to be. I would like to upsize a fair bit from my 4.75m Quinnie runabout but I am concerned that the whole package of handling a tandem trailer, and manhandling a bigger boat on my own at the ramp may engulf me as I head towards my sixties - still a couple of years away but a new boat would certainly see me through my sixties.

So I have been considering whether part of the cost of going to that next step might be the couple of grand or so that it would cost per year to have the boat racked in a dry storage at a marina. A mate of mine does this and all he has to do is to telephone the marina to have the boat in the water tied up to a jetty ready for him to step aboard at 7 am the next morning and motor away. Similarly on his return trip - no manhandling, no transverse winds at a boat ramp to manage etc etc etc.

As you have already alluded to, the big cost in owning something like your Whittley is depreciation. Petrol and other annual costs seem expensive incrementally for each week of use, but they are not your big costs. Maybe the time has come to find an extra $40 or $50 per week for racking in a dry storage at a marina.

Hence goeth my contribution of chaff to give body to the grains of wheat that other Ausfishers may contribute to this thread. :)

snelly1971
25-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Bigger boat, = more comfort, I personally couldnt go back to a smaller boat, You cant put a price on memories and fun with your family and mates

Mick

Brumby
26-01-2008, 08:20 AM
If I had to justify the boat in terms of fish caught, I would have gotten rid of it long ago. For me it's about getting out with the family, away from the TV and Playstation, not to mention the lawnmower! As a couple of others have said, the photos and the memories more than make up for it.

Other than the cost of fuel, I haven't regretted moving up to the Mustang either, the extra space and better ride more than make up for any extra PT in handling it. Even there, you just have to realise that you can't really push it off the beach so you anchor accordingly.

Cheers

nigelr
26-01-2008, 08:45 AM
Hi KT.
In about 3 years I will be able to access some super.:)
I'm looking at spending 40g on a boat, not as large a divestment as yours, but certainly substantial relative to my financial position.
When I die, the kids/successors can sell it if they wish, or use it for fun.
But while I'm enjoying the last 15-20 active years of my life, I going to really enjoy them, hopefully get the Mrs. out with me as well.::) :-X
That's presuming of course that I live to see out those 15-20 active years!
Selfish, possibly, but I'm worth it, and I've earnt it!8-)
There'll be a beach house or 2 for the 4 kids to fight over ::) when the Mrs. and I are gone, and the boat I'm looking at is reasonably cheap to maintain and run, and manageable enough for one man launch/retrieve.
Like the man said, you can't take it with you, and one never knows when (and how) ones' number is up!
Enjoy it while you can, we're a long time dead!
For your situation, the marina idea sounds great if you can afford it, certainly make getting on the water a lot easier and hence more attractive! Mate you've got a great boat, get out there and use it!
Cheers!

charleville
26-01-2008, 09:19 AM
If I had to justify the boat in terms of fish caught, I would have gotten rid of it long ago.

However, just think of the reduction in medical costs in your life in relation to stress management - you know ...things like tablets, doctors, alcohol ...;D

Seriously though, the exhileration of a night's fishing in Moreton Bay raises me to a new plane of being after every night trip. Words cannot describe the feeling ... nor can money replicate it. :)

choppa
26-01-2008, 11:22 AM
its funny that kev has posted this thread as i just finished reading an article in a investment report that shows that the most ""expensive"" luxury item that the average family owns is,,,,,,,,,,, no not a boat,,,, but a backyard swimming pool,,,,especially if its salt and has a spa attached

i can relate to the spa side as ours blew the main pump a few months back,,,, it was cheaper having the existing pump rewired than that of new

boats on the other hand are always going to have what kev has written about shadowing over them,,,,, i spent good hard earned dollars on the bbq boat,,,, and then due to cancer had to sell it as it was plainly just to big a boat for me to handle by myself,,,,,, the tinny that sits in the front yard however is hardly ever dry,,,,,

i 'spose some people,,, own a boat and get more than the average use out of it,,,, then others own one and hardly ever use it,,,,

lifestyle,,,, economics,,,,time,,, etc etc all play a role,,, but the overall expense can and does add up,,,,,

good thread

choppa

the gecko
26-01-2008, 12:22 PM
We all know its cheaper to buy fish at the fish shop than run a boat. You could save wear and tear on the body by staying home too.

Are you seriously trying to tell us its just about money? If it was, youd have sold the boat long ago.

cheers
Andrew

kingtin
26-01-2008, 01:04 PM
We all know its cheaper to buy fish at the fish shop than run a boat. You could save wear and tear on the body by staying home too.

Are you seriously trying to tell us its just about money? If it was, youd have sold the boat long ago.

cheers
Andrew

No Andrew, I thought my post was clear in that I was seeking others' feelings in relation to how factors apart from money are influencing current thoughts on fishing. Yes, I'm interested in how others view the depreciation factor and other money matters, but as I said, I have no need for money to be spent on anything other than fishing or camping so money is not a major factor in my current disillusionment

What I'm trying to understand is, are our fishing expectations (today) being met in relation to how they once were? Is it just me who is disillusioned at the moment, or are others thinking that there seems to be far more adverse factors to fishing than there once was?

Does the worry of getting back to the ramp to find your trailer missing, influence us more than it did say, 10 yrs ago? In my case, I would have shrugged it off and sorted it back then, (and sorted the bastards that did it as well), but nowadays, with age and ill health, comes the question of whether the hassle of it all, far outweighs the benefits of going for a fish?

Changing bearings may be for some, an enjoyable sideline of fishing, but for others, just another bit of hassle, especially with back problems and age.

Enjoying time with kids is another changing factor, especially as they reach teenage years and strive for their independence. In my case, I've always had foster kids aboard and the rewards of seeing their achievements and accompanying increase in self-esteem when fishing was priceless. They've gone now and I'm alone with my own 2 who get violently sea sick when we go out. They still insist on coming though, and I'm beginning to think that they may do this purely for my benefit...............just another factor to consider.........the change in kid's expectations nowadays, compared to once was.

No. it's not about the money but about me questioning how we perceive our fishing compared to what once was.

The courtesy seems to have grossly diminished........the (inconsiderate) jet skiers and boaties, ramp rage, vandalism, abuse, theft, seeing the taking of undersized fish, and the accompanying accusations in some cases of being a racist? Not being able to fish land based at night for fear of encountering mindless yobs? Other hassles we have to put up with to pursue our search for a peaceful pastime........Is it not likely that that pursuit is actually in some way, hindering our actual peace? In pursuing our hobby/sport/pastime, are we in some way hindering our peace of mind, despite our self assertions that fishing is our great escape from all that troubles us.

I suppose that it's simply that fishing is beginning to mirror life in general nowadays and what we experience on the water is no different (really) than what we encounter in everyday life?..............I don't really know which is why I'm mulling the question here? Is it simply my state of mind atm or do others feel the same?

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. The responses have been of great benefit to me. If I am to continue to enjoy my fishing I think that part of the answer would be to consider storage of my car and trailer and more overnighters.

kev

PinHead
26-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Hi Kev,
As you know, 2 ½ years back we bought the 30’ cruiser…had grand plans of going many places in it but..we found Couran…suits us perfectly..as our kids are grown we enjoy relaxing there..dining at the restaurant etc and taking the grandkids down at times. As idiot me did not get the boat air conditioned the other half did not like sleeping in the boat on the summer nights..so we would stay in a room. I then did some sums..$11000 per annum for marina membership, berthing fees, anti foul and maintenance…equates to over $200 per week. All we did other than a few fishing trips at the Pin was use it as a taxi from Horizon Shores to Couran…seems a big waste of a 190k boat..so we sold it. Now have an 18 ½ ‘ trailer boat..can still use it as taxi to Couran and also will be fishing in a lot of other places with it. We can still lead the lifestyle we want to but without the expense.
It is not about the money..we came close to buying a 45’ cruiser instead but decided to go this way…lifestyle we enjoy and less pressures in doing same…it is all a matter of finding the balance that suits what you want to do.

wiz
26-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Hi Kev,
I agree with what you are saying about the influences of our everyday life are now affecting our fishing and boating excape. Unfortuneately some of those influences are due to living in a fastly growing population and if you lived in a more isolated area your everyday life would be less stressful and your fishing would be the same. I think with what you have been through recently you are reassessing your priorities and looking at what is important and the reasons why they are important. I have been through the exact same reasons for owning a boat myself and sold and rebought after a couple of months without a boat twice now. I do wonder what it will become as the petrol increases and the closures are inforced and more people move to brisbane?????
The points you make are quite relevant and only you really know if it is worth YOUR while to hang onto your boat. I own a tinny so there is only $7000 sitting in my driveway and I use it as much as work and weather permit. Any hobby you choose will have its good aspects and bad , it just depends on whether the bad s*its you more than the enjoyment you get out of the good.

cheers Dan

hoodunnit
26-01-2008, 05:52 PM
I Know How You Feel Kingtin, I Did 350 Hours In My Boat In The First 3 Yrs,as Long As The Forecast Said 10-15 We Were Out There.in The Last Year It,s Been Out 3 Or 4 Times,deckys Are Busy ,weathers Bad,to Tired,no Fish,missus Complaining ,hadn,t Been Fishing For Months. I Went Out To The Cape Solo Last Monday And Had A Top Morning,it Was Flat On The Bay,bagged Out On Snapper Got A Rainbow Runner 4 The Barbie And Had A Smoothish Run Home.now I Can,t Wait To Get Out Asap!!!

ozbee
26-01-2008, 06:18 PM
age has a affect what was a small tasks becomes bigger as we get older , it may be time for you,only you can tell,just remember the quickest way to age is do nothing so make sure you have other hobbies before taking that step.

skippa
26-01-2008, 08:05 PM
Kev I'm hearin ya mate.

After just recently going thru a divorce I thought long and hard about keeping the Southwind when the 'family' assets where being divided. So many things to consider, especially since in 2007, the southwind only hit the water 5 times.

You've already covered well the cost issues with owning a larger trailer boat, but when your on your own with a coupla teenagers and house to run too, you really start to think long and hard bout the beaut 'expensive' garden nome thats fast becoming home to thousands of spiders and god knows what other bugs, sitting beside the garage.

Long story short, I kept the southwind and gave up the 4x4 and caravan, was a good deal really, even tho the ex made a few $ profit on the sale of the van, I didn't care. As someone said earlier, a good day on the water, some magic pics to share is sometimes all it takes to make it all worthwhile. (A lot cheaper than holidays or medicine to reduce the stress factor too). Afterall, I've got one lousy hook in golf, don't much care for horse racing or betting, just as happy to watch footy on telly than go to the game and can leave the 'one arm bandits' alone too. That just leaves booze and sex ... Oh well, I'm Australian and mans gotta have some vices eh .. ::)

Anyways, I have a new partner now and she's the best deckie I've ever had, much to the dissapointment of my ol workmate and former deckie who moans he's spending too much time now fishing shore based.

Cheers,
Tony 8-)

webby
26-01-2008, 08:32 PM
The only thing that'll stop me fishing or boating is the grave
regards

Burley_Boy
26-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Ahh Kingtin so you're frustrated that you're not getting the use out of the craft you'd hoped. Now it was not bought as an offshore killing machine so forget trying to justify fish versus cost (we both know you never will), It was bought to pull family and friends together doing what you love and yes thats worth 80k you ol bastard.

Now if the kids and friends are just not utilising what you're offering then yes perhaps the drama of launching a big rig is to much of a pain in the derriere' .
Maybe to be happy you need a rig that just get s you and the missus and a couple of friends out there for the day. In comfort offcourse. So if the size is hampering the use then thats a biggie because the entire point is to to get out there.
Maybe adding a nice tinnie will solve that problem though and the days with frineds & family etc on the big rig will come and just be more precious.

Missus says I can buy whatever as long as I use it... It aint hard to spend 80k. Just decide if the boat is providing what you were after. You won't be a happy man without a rig though so don't put 65k into stocks and live life out in misery!

Red wine this end ok so don't get me wrong...
Maybe you need to focus on billies for a while and get some adrenalin pumping.

Cheers mate BB

Lovey80
27-01-2008, 12:09 AM
Mate as far as I see it, LAND is the place for worrying about such things. Sort out how you'll secure your trailer from theft and car from vandals on LAND. Because the second you leave that ramp you need to leave all that crap behind you. I couldn't contemplate you writing the original thread on a laptop from your boat out in the bay as the sun is setting because those moments make all the other crap worth it. By leaving it at the ramp that time spent on the water is pure gold. And if you do return to the ramp to find a window broken on the car, do so not even been expecting it as if you were, the time spent on the water was wasted.

Cheers Chris

P.S. Think about how sooner you would have become a member of the zipper club without boating in your life?

Ninja
27-01-2008, 12:36 AM
Petrol...............'nuff said!

Weather..........'nuff said!

Ramp rage...........'nuff said!

Jet skis.............after trying to fish from the shore at the Tweed..........'nuff said!

Closures.............well we all know how we feel about that!

Maintenance.................wheel bearings etc ? Do you all like buggering about with grease? ;D

Vandalism.................Do you really totally relax when you're out there?

Overnighters.............Did you envisage spending nights at Tangalooma or elsewhere, but worry about the above so don't go?

Family..............sea sick members etc.........I'm the only one that doesn't get sick in my mob ;D

Health

None of those factors above plus the fact that my last boat I owned for two year spent at least ten times more time in the shop fixing problems then it did on the water affect my passion for fishing. To be honest....I don't think your points are reasons for your doubts. For whatever reason you are choosing to concentrate on those factors instead of outweighing it with that one smile, good fish, sunrise, feeling of freedom ect. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Fishing could be twice the pain and cost and I'd still find reasons to justify why it's all worth it. If you think your spark will return.....keep the boat. If not....sell it. Not trying to sound harst but you posted here for opinions. Well....that's mine.

MyEscape
27-01-2008, 06:01 AM
I'd probably go along with Burleyboy has just said. I've recently sold my Cruisecraft and am waiting the delivery of a 4.35 Seajay. After not using the Cruisecraft as intended (I thought it might be every second weekend - but only had 25 hours after 9 months of ownership) my wife said as long as I use the next one I could have anything I wanted.

So I've ordered what I call a "nice" tinny. Electric start, trim and tilt. Sure not everyone needs that on a 40hp but I thought, let's make it easy.

Hopefully it will lead to more time on the water, or atleast, more times going fishing, not spending more time preparing and cleaning up than I spent on the water.
But in the right place, my old boat may have been just what I needed. The cruisecraft went to a couple that live in Proserpine - just near the Whitsundays, and hopefully they'll have a ball in it, probably out in it now.
I sold my Cruisecraft simply becasue I could not justify having that money wrapped up in something I used once every 2-3 months, and then not for long.

Steve

Grand_Marlin
27-01-2008, 07:40 AM
G'day Kev,

The grass is always greener on the other side ... untill you get there and realise that you still have to mow it. ;)

Cheers

Pete

Horse
27-01-2008, 07:58 AM
Mate

You can't take it with you. Its a personal lifestyle decision for you and your family to decide if the investment could be put top a better use for your overall enjoyment.

I have messed around in boats for most of my life and it defines who I am in a lot of ways. If you are not using the boat then the question is why? If another passion is taking its place then well and good. If nothing is replacing it then it is time to look deeply at why you are prepared to live a life with an important part of your lifestyle missing

A major health scare such as you have been through can also lead to being overly introspective at times as you question a lot of the assumptions on which your life has been based.

My advice is to chill out. Don't dwell on the issue for the time being. Wait for the weather patterns to improve and head over to moreton for an overnighter. Just after your reel starts screaming is the best time to answer your original question

Cheers

Neil

seamaid
27-01-2008, 08:45 AM
::) ;D
HEY FELLOWS
ITS IN OUR BLOOD & BLOOD IS THICKER THAN WATER
WE ARE A SPECIAL BREED,GO OUT IN IN ANY CONDITIONS & LEAVE OUR POSSESSIONS IN NONE SECURE AREA's & OPEN MARKET TO ALL FREELOADERS,
AND THEN REPEAT THIS OVER & OVER AGAIN
IF IN DOUBT DONT GO OUT
HAPPY BOATING GED8-) .

Knotpretty
27-01-2008, 09:06 AM
Well Kev all hobbies cost money. Fishing costs big time, it would be cheaper to buy your fish at the local co-op. But you cannot buy that feeling of freedom when your out on the water. Since I've had a boat and fished with the kids we have extended our family's interests and everyone looks forward to going out in dads boat (there is no value on that). Certainly do agree Kev, boats /fishing cost big bucks but when I look at the Quinnie in the carport I think it's worth every cent.
Regards

onerabbit
27-01-2008, 04:52 PM
Hi Kev,

read a few of your posts lately that all had a bit of a similar flavour,

I dont know you personally, but feel i have gotten to understand you a little over the last few years, have no zipper experience, but..............................

dont let go of the things you are passionate about, not yet. I'm sure things will improve & you will be out there, great reports & clever quips included.

Is sometimes easier to get depressed than fight back..............you have many friends here that are with you now, probably many you wouldn't know in the street, or wouldn't realize are giving you good thoughts.

Dont sell her yet,

Muzz

Dezzer
27-01-2008, 08:05 PM
The only thing that'll stop me fishing or boating is the grave
regards :)

Here Here

Then again the upkeep on a 12 foot tinnie is about 1 tube of toothpaste a week

el_carpo
28-01-2008, 08:11 AM
You're going to have to weigh the pluses and minuses of the boat and decide from there. If you'd be as happy or happier with a smaller boat then sell it, if not keep it. Talk it over with the family and see how they feel about it. It's not the end of the world either way. If you're looking to find a new hobby, the proceeds from the boat would help you along there too.

I fish from shore about 99 percent of the time and occasionally from a canoe and I'm happy.

It's your call.

There's a wide range of boat sizes out there. ;D

levinge
28-01-2008, 11:36 AM
No Doubts at all, especially when you take your kids fishing and they catch their first Barramundi. 4 hour drive, set up the cabin, prep and fuel boat, rig gear, up at 5am the next morning and just after 7:30am BANG off she goes and this is the result. So whenever I think or doubt that its worth it, I will always have this memory to tell me HELL YES!!!

November 2005 1st Virgin Barra for my Boy - 116cm 22.5kg caught on a Darwin Dart

kingtin
28-01-2008, 04:01 PM
Once again, thank you all for your continuing, and enlightening replies. I couldn't possibly answer all of you............well I could, but I get in enough strife for being at the keyboard as it is ;D Suffice to say, if I haven't answered you directly, your contribution is noted and I am grateful. That said, just a few direct replies:

Greg (Pinhead), you're right:

"it's all a matter of finding the balance that suits what you want to do"

Dan, (Wiz) you're right too:

"I think with what you have been through recently you are reassessing your priorities and looking at what is important and the reasons why they are important."

Tony (skippa) you're right too:

"a good day on the water, some magic pics to share is sometimes all it takes to make it all worthwhile"

Nice to hear that you're happy with your new deckie mate :D

Burley Boy, you're right too:

"You won't be a happy man without a rig though so don't put 65k into stocks and live life out in misery!"

I love the offshore scene and know I'll regret it sitting in the little tinny off Redcliffe, watching the bigger rigs head offshore.

Chris (Lovey 80) you're right too:

"Think about how sooner you would have become a member of the zipper club without boating in your life?"

Without those offshore trips to chill out, I'd probably shorten my life more than I would if I was worrying about trailer security etc. Knowing myself, I'd only find something else to worry about ;D

Ninja, you're right too:

"For whatever reason you are choosing to concentrate on those factors instead of outweighing it with that one smile, good fish, sunrise, feeling of freedom ect."

Yep, I have been a bit negative of late. Thanks for waking me up to myself.

Neil (Horse), you're right too:

"A major health scare such as you have been through can also lead to being overly introspective at times as you question a lot of the assumptions on which your life has been based.

My advice is to chill out. Don't dwell on the issue for the time being. Wait for the weather patterns to improve and head over to moreton for an overnighter. Just after your reel starts screaming is the best time to answer your original question"

Too much idle time on my hands giving me time to gaze at my own navel. I need to get out there and taste life again.

Muzz (One Rabbit) you're right too:

"dont let go of the things you are passionate about, not yet. I'm sure things will improve & you will be out there, great reports & clever quips included.

Is sometimes easier to get depressed than fight back..............you have many friends here that are with you now, probably many you wouldn't know in the street, or wouldn't realize are giving you good thoughts."

You know me too well mate................am I that transparent? ;D Yes, I am passionate about fishing and isn't it strange that being a bit down can have you questioning that passion? Thanks for reminding me of the friends that I have made here and how this site, and what it stands for (fishing) would be sorely missed if I jacked it in.

OK, back to my old self with an old proverb: "A little bit of what you fancy does you good"
-
-
-
-
--
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
--
-
It buggered Gary Glitter's career good and proper though, didn't it? ;D

kev

levinge
28-01-2008, 04:11 PM
good to see your Compass has finally righted itself and your heading in the right direction, Good Luck and Tight Lines from NQ

ColacGirl
28-01-2008, 04:22 PM
Hi Kev,

Does the worry of getting back to the ramp to find your trailer missing, influence us more than it did say, 10 yrs ago?

Nope. Trailers have been going missing for years... it's over twenty years since my father-in-law came back to the ramp to find his trailer missing... so definitely not a new concern to us.

Changing bearings may be for some, an enjoyable sideline of fishing, but for others, just another bit of hassle, especially with back problems and age.

I know someone who is more than happy to change your bearings anytime it's needed. :)

Enjoying time with kids is another changing factor, especially as they reach teenage years and strive for their independence. In my case, I've always had foster kids aboard and the rewards of seeing their achievements and accompanying increase in self-esteem when fishing was priceless. They've gone now and I'm alone with my own 2 who get violently sea sick when we go out. They still insist on coming though, and I'm beginning to think that they may do this purely for my benefit...............just another factor to consider.........the change in kid's expectations nowadays, compared to once was.

Throw some pills down their throats, or stay in calmer waters. At times fishing, boating & camping can be just what is needed to give teenagers some much needed down time to just be "kids" away from peer pressure and todays "expectations".

Is it simply my state of mind atm or do others feel the same?

In part, your state of mind atm. Give yourself time to fully recuperate before making rash decisions.

Population growth may attribute to the crime growth.

If I am to continue to enjoy my fishing I think that part of the answer would be to consider storage of my car and trailer and more overnighters.

Well stop talking about it and start doing it :D

Your car/trailer are safe at Rudy's and after two nighter in Play-Pen I can assure you there is an abundance of vermin awaiting you at the Pin ::) as well as some large flathead, and there's even a few muddies about.

--
Bev - going to eat a muddy now ;D

kingtin
28-01-2008, 04:55 PM
Hi Kev,

Bev - going to eat a muddy now ;D

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_4_105.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNfox000) ;D

Hiya chook, overnighter coming up, asap

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/14/14_4_106.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNfox000)http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_3_203.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNfox000)

kev

finga
29-01-2008, 07:50 AM
All I think about is what would I do if I didn't have the boats.
The answer is a lot more expensive and not as much enjoyment as boating.
But that's easy for me to say as my boats when you add them all together are worth about a carton or two of Crowny's.

When you want a secure parking spot for your long stays (or even short) down the Pin Kev just give me a tingle and your car/trailer can be stored here.
I'll even hitch a ride down and deliver it again when you want to come home.

I'll even tie the cook to it. She's worse then a pitbull sometimes :(

reelemin1974
29-01-2008, 08:17 AM
A couple of years ago I had to sell my 4.8 m boat that used to get me offshore, at the time I was dissapointed but as I was spending more time in the rivers lure casting than offshore I was OK with it. 2 years on I still love fishing the river but wish I had the option to go out every once in a while. I do miss it.

I think at the moment fishing is a little stale for you. I have had times like that too, I haven't been out for 1 month now for a few different reasons. But you will get that drive back soon, and you'll be glad to have kept your boat. If you have the money, buy a little boat for messing around in the rivers. It will give you something new.

My thoughts

seamaid
29-01-2008, 09:32 AM
;D Hi fellows
Seamaid is a mix bag, fish any where longs as i am holding a rod & reel in
hand.
Cheers Ged.

Wyoming
29-01-2008, 09:53 AM
Hi Kev - I've been away (again) and during my absence, I decided that I will sell the CruiseCraft after a very satisfying 5 year period of ownership. I just don't seem to be using it much these days and it's a hell of a waste tying up that beautiful boat when someone else can be enjoying it.

Like you, I haven't regretted a single moment of owning it and I have had an absolute ball and caught a few decent fish, but, it's time it went. I paid my $5 and advertised it this morning in the "For Sale" pages of Ausfish.

Best wishes
Neil

kingtin
29-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Hi Kev - I've been away (again) and during my absence, I decided that I will sell the CruiseCraft after a very satisfying 5 year period of ownership. I just don't seem to be using it much these days and it's a hell of a waste tying up that beautiful boat when someone else can be enjoying it.

Like you, I haven't regretted a single moment of owning it and I have had an absolute ball and caught a few decent fish, but, it's time it went. I paid my $5 and advertised it this morning in the "For Sale" pages of Ausfish.

Best wishes
Neil

You sure you won't regret it Neil? Either way, it's a nice way to think that "someone else can be enjoying it"

Welcome back mate.

kev

nigehey
29-01-2008, 10:48 PM
Hi, this may or may not be relevant. I did the sums for 5 years with my wife. To have or not to have children. She an economist, me a management consultant - we have lists and ledgers a mile long, all arguments - social, economic, political - "do we want to bring kids into this world?" as we saw the nightly news.

Then we did, and it was done and we have a beaut little boy.

And, for the first time in 15 years I started fishing again. Really. I hadn't fished for years - since my early 20s to be exact. It was as if the world had caught up with me. The worries, the seriousness, the suits, the stresses. So I read a little bit. Found out about "soft plastics" and GSP etc - a steep learning curve in the past few months. It obviously a lot more commercial too. I started taking my little boy (in a pram mind you) shore based fishing around the Brisbane River to give my wife a break. And now I'm completely back into it. For all of the negatives, the hoons, the louts, the P**ric*ks, etc - I still have a great old time - even if its just for a couple of hours every fortnight. And I can't wait until hes old enough to hold a rod and have fun himself. If he doesn't like it - well, I'll have to live with it like my folks had to live with me leaving the airforce 20 years ago ;D

The thing is, I used to love fishing - when I'd rock hop with a handline in Sydney, catching crabs with a nail on the end of a stick - lucky to get a couple of bream. I loved it when I had a tinny and the purchase of an overhead reel and cheapo matching boat rod made me feel like I was in a fishing magazine - when winding in a squire would play out like winding in a marlin. When we'd chase a trevally hooked from the tinny on light gear (wonder wobbler and cheap mono) like it was a big game fish. When the best bit of the fishing trip was accidentally getting the beach-launch vehicle bogged and the seeing it fill with water with the quintrex long forgotten banging against the rocks...and then recovering, going fishing and bagging a huge number of reef fish without a sounder (and then having to untie a 2" rope from the front axle that had been left on the car in the sun for 4 hours after the recovery that morning). Fast forward to yesterday, catching a small bream and my 16 month old boy saying "fish fish fish". I'm sure he didn't understand the cost of the rod, the reel, the sx-48's, the fireline etc etc. But I saw the look on his face. And he saw the look on mine.

Think back to the worst moments with your foster kids and your biological children when you were asking "why!?". And now reflect on your current situation, and if it isn't analogous - downsize the boat and come flicking soft plastics with me and a pram...:D

kingtin
29-01-2008, 11:34 PM
Wonderful post Nige, and I'm sure you'll have many happy hours fishing with the nipper.

Savour it mate 'cause they won't appreciate what you are doing till 10 yrs after they've flown the coop and have their own ;D

Mate, you've almost got me thinking that I want another kid ;D

kev

spears
30-01-2008, 12:41 AM
Kingtin..
I’ve read your storey and can understand where your coming from with this dilemma .I started of with small tinny and worked my way up to a really nice 16 ft swiftcraft fitted every accessory that I think of I would need .
Went out fishing thinking that now I can get into the deep blue.Well that great happy idea hit a wall.First of all was if my fishing companion couldn’t turn up then I could go as it took two people to get it back on the trailer with a strong side wind.I had to buy a bigger car to tow it with.Cost more petrol to run the car and boat and I wasn’t catching more fish..Just peachy..
So the boat only did a dozen trips out one year compared to every 2nd week with the smaller boat.
I see so many large boats parked in front of houses not being used with a tarp over them,
I sold the boat after 18 months and got a stacer 14foot and started to enjoy fishing but got too wet sun burnt and thought this is too small after the swiftcraft.Sold it in the first year.Now I’m on my 8th boat this time a 15 foot glass run about with every thing fitted and really having a ball cause I can launch/retrieve it my self got windscreen and canopy 60HP to get me there,less fuel costs.
But if you catch fish then that’s a bonus even though I’m not a big fish eater.I think everybody needs something to do and if the family can enjoy it with you then that’s a bonus.
I bought my first boat 30 years ago and its taken me 27 years to get the right one and I can take it to where the fish are being caught..Thats my storey and its been and expensive lesson..

Angla
01-02-2008, 10:34 PM
I know how you feel Kev, but for me the feeling passes.

The wife makes me feel guilty about it but she wants to enjoy it later in life.

The kids won't go with me cos I never catch anything and I'm always out for too long.

Its alot of money sitting there when the weather has been bad for soooo long

I have also taken up motor bike riding too just recently.

The bones are nearly fifty now and I am starting to feel a little older than when I was a kid.

In answer to the lot of it......... I can still run rings around my teenagers (even after a afternoon nap) I keep up with younger blokes on 450 dirt bikes, Launch and retrieve the 575 Outsider solo and above all love the feel of wind in the face and the freedom of the ocean and the bush tracks (on the old 600cc dirt bike).

Stick with it until you are all broken and the body just cannot do it.

Chris

kingtin
19-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Been crook and offline for a couple of weeks........gave me time to think............The Whittley is sold and the tinny is for sale in the for sale section. The deckie has taken a shine to the Stacer 489 or 519 Nomad and to be honest, I really like the lay out of it too.

Nothing decided yet though but it will definitely be something we can run up the beach and ramp without having to look for a ramp with pontoons and it will have to fit in the garage as the Whittley got egged again. The garage is 8m deep so we have quite a few options.

If we go for the 519, we also have to decide between the 90 merc 4 stroke or the 75 honda 4 stroke..............21/2k dearer but those 5 yr warranties are tempting. If we go for the 489 it'll be the Honda 50 LRTD 4 stroke.

So yes, we had our doubts about the cost of our boating, but really, that wasn't the deciding factor. It was simply down to need....the need have something that I could garage and handle easier, the need to have more launching options, the not needing something that big.........we will also have enough left over to take the kids back and show 'em their roots in the UK for a month............show 'em how lucky they are :-)

kev

Jackinthebox
19-03-2008, 05:04 PM
Hey Kev,

I think you've struck a great balance with the Nomad, much easier to handle, cheap on fuel and you can still get outside in that sucker too if you want. If you go the 489, i'd get the 60hp. My 469 goes well with the 50 four stroke but the 489 is a fair bit heavier boat.

BTW, Mercury has now increased the warranty on the Four strokes to 5 years as long as you keep up to date with the services. My new merc 50 4 stroke has now got about 5 hrs of cruising on it for about 15 litres of juice. That's 3 litres an hour, can't complain about that.

Cheers,
Mick

reidy
20-03-2008, 02:43 PM
Good day all,
every time i jump into my 4.1 Bermuda tinnie (tiller) and have a good day i look at others $45000+ investments i think to my self what if,
What if i scratched,dented,busted or sunk such a large investment,how would i feel. sad i would think
I have dented,scratched,scraped and abused my baby 4.1 and am still a happy camper.
I guess its like buying a new 4x4.brand new im not taking it in there.
10 years old look out coming through
Cheers
Reidy

kingtin
20-03-2008, 03:03 PM
Hey Kev,

I think you've struck a great balance with the Nomad, much easier to handle, cheap on fuel and you can still get outside in that sucker too if you want. If you go the 489, i'd get the 60hp. My 469 goes well with the 50 four stroke but the 489 is a fair bit heavier boat.

BTW, Mercury has now increased the warranty on the Four strokes to 5 years as long as you keep up to date with the services. My new merc 50 4 stroke has now got about 5 hrs of cruising on it for about 15 litres of juice. That's 3 litres an hour, can't complain about that.

Cheers,
Mick

Thanks for that Mick. I've gone for the 519..............just love how 2 adults can move to one side and she hardly leans.

I've married her to the Merc 90hp ELPT EFI 4 stroke...............the deckie wants to learn to ski ::) ;D

kev

Shagga
20-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Kev,

Maybe boat share might be an option to consider. Keep the tinny and sell the Whittley.

SeaHunt
20-03-2008, 03:48 PM
I noticed you had been missing for a while Kev.
I hope all is OK now, nothing like a new boat to get the juices flowing again.

You should be OK with the Merc , they have had an up and down history over the years, but I think they have had their act together for some time now.
I havn't head anything bad about the 4 Strokes.
My EFI 4 Stroke 60 has just hit 5 years and not missed a beat with just the annual service.

The 90 should be heaps, even my 60hp will pull a fat skier out.::) err.. my son , not your deckie.

And they are fantastic on fuel.:)

kingtin
20-03-2008, 05:48 PM
I noticed you had been missing for a while Kev.
I hope all is OK now,

Yeah mate, thanks for asking. I'm coming good apart from some sort of reversal with my body temp mechanism. ................sit in the sun, and I'm ok..............step into an air conditioned shopping mal, and the sweat pours off me ::) ;D

The deckie goes into hospital Tuesday for 4 or 5 days, then she'll be off her feet for a month, so waiting for the new rig, (8 wks delivery) will drag a bit.

I'm sure that I'll be happy with the merc.............the black anchor thing goes back a few years and they've upped their game now. I had a test drive this morning with the 90 2 stroke and was surprised just how quiet they were.

kev

manchild
20-03-2008, 06:46 PM
Sounds like a perfect excuse to sit in the sun and drink cold beer.Gotta balance out things at your age you know.:P To answer your original question mate ,i had doubts and still has.Things change ,since i bought a camper we go a lot out into the bush as far st george.Beachcamping doesnt interest me as much as it used to.Now as you know i got a near new boat sitting here ,do i keep it or downsize ?Its barely getting used ,its useless as a cartopper.Expensive piece of garage decoration if you ask me.Having said all that tha kids love it when i take them out for a day .Dilemma -dilemma.I still remember how exiting it is when your are a kid.Anyway ,gone a bit long here.
cheers
George
Hope everything ok with your healt mate ,see you sometimes for those beers

kingtin
21-03-2008, 08:24 AM
Kev,

Maybe boat share might be an option to consider. Keep the tinny and sell the Whittley.

I camp at the Pin a lot mate, and as the boys get bigger, the tinny won't plane with all the gear on board..............No...............I'll just have to get a bigger tinny ;-)

Kev

kingtin
22-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Hope everything ok with your healt mate ,see you sometimes for those beers

Nice to hear from you George. Mate, don't give the fishing away, the kids will curse you. 8 weeks to wait for the new rig and then I'll catch up with you down the pin for those beers............I'm still chasin' that elusive jewie ;D

kev

manchild
24-03-2008, 06:24 PM
Sound good mate.Just got back from Levuka ,had a ball .
cheers
George