PDA

View Full Version : Anchor for estuary

RodNReel
25-01-2008, 12:32 PM
G'day all,
I'm looking for a bit of advice on a particular anchor, they call them a folderable anchor and are sold through the BCF stores.
Any advice, thoughts, good or bad would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

RodNReel

reidy
25-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Good day,
Would that be a foldable 4 armed rock pick.If so they work ok on harder bottom,not so good on sand/mud in a good blow as the arms are thinish and can pull under heavey load.
Cheers
Reidy

RodNReel
25-01-2008, 01:11 PM
Yes Reidy thats the one, I was looking at the 3.2 Kg one for a 4.2m quintrex wide body dory. Thanks for the info. As its only estuary fishing that I do, haven't worked up the courage to take the boat out in the open just yet, and I've only been using a four pronged anchor, the folderable may do the job. I hope you can follow that.

RodNReel

seatime
25-01-2008, 01:19 PM
If it's the folding anchor I'm thinking about - they're designed for use with a tender (inflatable, dinghy, etc) when going ashore from the mother ship. No sharp points, easy to stow, small, sufficient to hold the dinghy on the beach for short periods. Ideally you'd push the flukes into the sand by hand. They'd be handy to carry on a PWC also, better than a sand bag.

regards

reidy
25-01-2008, 01:23 PM
it sould be fine as a all round estury pick.
Cheers Rodnreel
Reidy

Chimo
25-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Hold well if you jam them into the gap between branches on a tree.
Not very reliable. Ok for short periods if your within running distance to grab the boat when it takes off.
Back to the tree, actually a rope and knot would be equally good if you have a tree.

Ive got one and cannot remember when it was last used.

Chimo

RodNReel
25-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Thanks heaps when it comes to fishing I need a lot of help. LOL

Cheers

RodNReel

Mac_Attack
25-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Hey RodNReel i have an anchor called a sarka which works on mud,sand reef pretty much any bottom. I had one of those anchors that you saw at BCF i lost it on a reef luckily it wouldn't grip onto anything.
Cheers Nick 8-)

seatime
25-01-2008, 02:49 PM
RodnReel,

At some stage you'll need a decent anchor, I'd step it up to a 4.5kg Danforth + 2-3m chain + 50m Silver rope. Even one of the made up jobs they sell would do as a starter.
It'll hold you in the estuary's and can be used later as a main or stern anchor (depending on conditions) when you venture further afield.

tigermullet
25-01-2008, 08:28 PM
Please take Gelsec's advice. Those fold up types aren't useless but they live right next door to it.;D