PDA

View Full Version : Belco Camper/Boat trailer combo

LeeannP
24-01-2008, 08:51 AM
Hi all,

Has anyone had any experience with the Belco all in one camper/boat trailer? We're taking off for a while and need something that is relatively easy to put up for a night but then is comfortable to stay in for a week, fortnight, month.....

I would like the good, the bad and the ugly when it comes to your experiences with this set up.

Otherwise, if anyone has got another type of camper/boat trailer combo it'd be great if you could let us know how it performed.

We've got to have a boat. No ifs or buts. We've got a 4wd wagon and are looking at the best way of having the boat as well as comfortable accommodation.

We've looked at the ute/innovan set up but for $80,000 ... well, that's a lot of money we can be spending on our holiday instead ;D

Any advice and opinions greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Leeann

Derek Bullock
24-01-2008, 11:00 AM
Hi Leeann

I have seen them but never used one. When you pull the boat out from underneath the legs it sits on don't look to be all that stable to me. Not only that there is a limited amount of space for your gear.

Most of the good camper trailers make a boat rack and some just fold off the top with gas struts when you stop for the night. There are some great little fold up trailers these days as well. I wouldn't think that the Belco would be all that great off road either.

If I were you I would be looking at a good off-road model with a boat rack on top.

Cheers

Derek

LeeannP
25-01-2008, 08:54 AM
We'll be having a look at the Belco set up in a couple of weeks. We know a relative of a relative who is getting rid of one. It's been up to the N.T. as well as Cape York. Has to get rid of it because the Mrs didn't like camping and their round Australia trip was then canned.

The bloke that's selling it is pretty clued up (given the time he could make something like that himself) so it should be an okay rig.

It's always interesting to hear the pros and cons, setting up times, launching probs, access to storage, and the like.

We've just got to find the option that suits us best. There's always compromise when it comes to bringing along a boat.

2DKnBJ
29-01-2008, 09:38 PM
Hi Leeann
I can't speak of them personally but if you have a look at LOVEY 80 avatar he has what you might be after.I am after something simmilar for my trailer.

Cheers Dazza

Lucky_Phill
02-02-2008, 04:26 PM
hope this turns out big enough. dazza.

It looks like a great unit. Good luck Leeann.

Phill

Lucky_Phill
02-02-2008, 04:31 PM
got it a tad bigger...

Mr__Bean
03-02-2008, 11:32 PM
If going away for a week or more I prefer to take the boat trailer as well as the camper.

Short trips you can put the boat on top of the camper upside down, but if going for a while we load as shown below.

It looks a bit funny but is really quite easy to load. Off comes the motor, push the boat off, slip out 2 bolts and the wheels and axle assembly is off. Now the trailer weighs bugger all. We lift and slide the trailer up onto the camper, lock it down then winch the boat up. Motor goes in the car and the axle goes on front of the camper.

Like I said, not worth it for a short trip but if going for a week or more then this is what we do.

- Darren

Lucky_Phill
04-02-2008, 09:32 PM
Nice looking rig Darren. That Bad Eye is everywhere..... ;D

Phill

Fishin_Dan
05-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Leeann,

There was a guy on here Andy (I think his login is Dirt Dag or something now), but not sure if he gets on here much... He'd be in the 4WD section if he is...

Anyway, he does some work for Belco, so he'd be a good one to talk to. If you like I can PM you his mobile number...

A guy he knew bought one, and then tried to get it fixed under warranty not long after... Apparently he kept dinging the bottom of the trailer/boat by going off the gutter at his house... Doesn't seem to be offroad worthy if that's the case...

LeeannP
08-02-2008, 11:55 AM
Still looking :) Fun working out the best option. If we took fishing out of the equation how easy would it be to travel?

sid_fishes
08-02-2008, 05:19 PM
leeann. have you had a chat to paul yet?cheers ian

Derek Bullock
06-03-2008, 11:08 PM
Hi Leeann

Any progress yet.

Derek

hooknline
16-03-2008, 06:20 PM
What part of the counntry you planing on exploreing?

Noelm
17-03-2008, 02:08 PM
this can be a very daunting task for sure, for a long range type of trip, you need to be absolutely sure that what you take is going to last the distance, be useful, be easy to put up/take off/setup/tow, it is never ending, probably one of the better setups I have seen was a half home made thing, it comprised an ex Government trailer (heavy off road thing) and an old camper that was adapted to sit on top, but had legs that folded down and where adjustable, and a very heavy duty type of Boat rack on top, when you got to your destination, you folded down the legs so the camper was clear of the Trailer, then you still had the Boat (a bit high up though) still on the Trailer so it could be taken to a Ramp any distance that was necessary, and sort of Launched/carried off the racks, seemed to work OK, but might be a pain for just a quick overnight stop or something!