PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Mercury outboard

Xahn1960
23-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Hi Guy's

I've recently bought a 1988 Haines Hunter with a Mercury 225 outboard, I've taken it out twice and it hasn't missed a beat. However several people have warned me the motor is unreliable, to old and should be replaced. Anyone know much about 20 yr old Mercury's ?? It starts fine, runs well, I can't see what the age issue is. I'd appreciate any comments, thanks Bill.

Blackened
23-01-2008, 09:19 PM
G'day

If the heart still pumping, then whats the problem?

88 is getting on a little bit but definatly not ready for the scrap heap.

BM would be the best one to talk too regarding the outboard

Dave

BM
23-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Ahhhh...... the late 80's V6's..... Merc really got it right in about 1986 with their V6 engines and they have been excellent ever since.

If its got good compression and runs well then run it till it dies. If your at all concerned have a service done and then you will know the condition of the engine. Go to a repairer who does not have an engine franchise or you will get told you need a new engine..... Non franchised guys will service and repair older engines because thats how it should be done. Franchise dealers need to move product or they lose their franchise. So they cannot help but be biased. Sad but very true..

88 is not old by my standards and if its in good nick and is maintained annually (like any engine) it should last for some time yet (and be reliable).

Cheers

PADDLES
24-01-2008, 07:50 AM
g'day bill, i had a 91 135 v6 merc and it was awesome. loved to drink fuel (no more than any other big 2s though) and was a bit cranky to start till i figured out the knack but don't throw your one out because someone reckons it's a bit old, they're a good thing. check all the wiring loom over, the insulation on the wires can melt through and short out because they are all tied together too tightly so split them up a bit. that was the only thing suss with mine.

Kleyny
24-01-2008, 08:06 AM
Xahn,
my father inlaw has a blue band 50hp merc (black anchor as some people have said) i don't know the vintage.
i would have to say that this thing starts better than my 05 model merc.
although i did rewire it as the wires where all corroded looking.
he has been told by an old merc outboard mechanic that they used to race the blue bands with success.
as a wise man once said why fix something thats not broke.

neil

BM
24-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Honky, the blue band series comprises 5 models and spanned from 1972-1983.

Kleyny
24-01-2008, 04:44 PM
Honky, the blue band series comprises 5 models and spanned from 1972-1983.

is there any way of finding out what series or even better year it is?
i cant find any id marks anywhere, we are taking old parts (like impeller) down and just getting them match up.
neil

Blackened
24-01-2008, 04:58 PM
G'day

Take a few pictures of it.

My uncle has a 1973 115 tower of power, she is a triple carb straight 6, cowel comes off in a few pieces, with sheet metal wrapping around it. Thunderbolt Ignition as well (must have been a technology development back then)

I assume yous is similar era?

Dave

Kleyny
24-01-2008, 05:29 PM
G'day

Take a few pictures of it.

My uncle has a 1973 115 tower of power, she is a triple carb straight 6, cowel comes off in a few pieces, with sheet metal wrapping around it. Thunderbolt Ignition as well (must have been a technology development back then)

I assume yous is similar era?

Dave

not far off it. the cowl comes off in two main bits, a sheet of metal around it the engine with a piece to cover the clips, then the top.
I'll take some photos next time i head over there

neil

Blackened
24-01-2008, 05:45 PM
G'day

That sound like the style

Dave

BM
24-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Honky, when you get a photo I can give you a year.

leezor
24-01-2008, 06:06 PM
Hi Guy's

I've recently bought a 1988 Haines Hunter with a Mercury 225 outboard, I've taken it out twice and it hasn't missed a beat. However several people have warned me the motor is unreliable, to old and should be replaced. Anyone know much about 20 yr old Mercury's ?? It starts fine, runs well, I can't see what the age issue is. I'd appreciate any comments, thanks Bill.

Hi Bill,

I had a 1999 200hp Black Max on a Haines 600R some years ago. I could not kill it, it was brilliant, the only negative is it was a thirsty buggar.
Not long after I sold it, my old man bought a Signature with a 1999 175hp VRO Johnson, and it had nothing on the Merc.

Cheers,

Lee