PDA

View Full Version : Do you know what type of boat this is

Cam-82
22-01-2008, 02:08 PM
As suggested by fnq i have put up some photos of the boat that is causing me some problems.

Thanx

snelly1971
22-01-2008, 02:58 PM
Looks to me as a back yard job...

Mick

deadbeatloser
22-01-2008, 03:02 PM
oversized V nose-punt

snelly1971
22-01-2008, 03:11 PM
oversized V nose-punt

I was going to say...that maybe it could have been a proto type for Stabi...Craft...:P:P:P

Mick

Cam-82
22-01-2008, 03:22 PM
I had a fair idea it was a back yard job. I am very happy with how she handles the water, very stable. Just need to do the bottom sheets so i can get her out again with no worries about making another snapper drop

deadbeatloser
22-01-2008, 03:55 PM
I was going to say...that maybe it could have been a proto type for Stabi...Craft...:P:P:P

Mick

which one of your heads :freak::freak: thought that.

for that a tasmanian circumsision will be done now :lolk::lolk::lolk: :behead:

beers DBL:-X

snelly1971
22-01-2008, 04:19 PM

HEE I like that one

Mick

deadbeatloser
22-01-2008, 04:48 PM
HEE I like that one

Mick

i thought you would. now you only get one headache instead of two
only have one mouth to feed and you can only talk half the crap...
i might even move down there but there are no sheep! but they do have
a chinatown dont they?????????????????:chinese::uhoh:

....gotta stop the ice consumption sends u mad....
only joking mick i just couldnt help myself......:iloveyou::lolk::lolk::lolk:

regards DBL;D:session:

Blackened
22-01-2008, 06:32 PM
G'day

Gotta agree with the other too... i'll call it a mongrel machiene

Dave

BGG
22-01-2008, 06:55 PM
IMHO the big blue splash guards might suggest that it's a bit wet and throws a bit of spray about!

seatime
22-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Bulldog ??

Cam-82
22-01-2008, 09:02 PM
Thank you all but i am looking 4 advice not wannabe comedians:wut:

tunaticer
22-01-2008, 10:14 PM
Looks all the world like the shape of an Aquamaster hull except its made from plate not pressed tin.

Jack.

seatime
23-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Thank you all but i am looking 4 advice not wannabe comedians:wut:

FYI "Bulldog" is a brand of plate boat that were manufactured in SEQ years ago. I know of 3 that shape still running around in the bay today. A member of this site had one once upon a time. They look very similar to those pics tho not of that length.

FNQCairns
23-01-2008, 02:00 PM
How old does the aluminium look? like a 20 yo boat or 5yo if you know what I mean.

One good thing though the hull form looks fairly easy to copy with only minor changes in angle from a single sheet if you were to lay another over. I am not experienced in anything like this could easily be wrong.

It think it could be a built for profit boat just the design errs on the commercial side, lots of aesthetics built into boats these days that needn't be from a functional point of view.

cheers fnq

seatime
23-01-2008, 03:27 PM
In Cam-82's earlier thread I made a suggestion of sandwiching a new bottom on. I don't know how it would be done or if it would fix the problem in this case, I just personally know of a similar case where it has been done.
Coincidentally the bottom sandwiching was completed on a hull shape very much like the one in the pic. Foam was also added between the old and the new sheets. This "Bulldog" is still getting around OK. However the guy that designed and built them, and fixed it, is no longer around to my knowledge.

FNQCairns
23-01-2008, 04:10 PM
In Cam-82's earlier thread I made a suggestion of sandwiching a new bottom on. I don't know how it would be done or if it would fix the problem in this case, I just personally know of a similar case where it has been done.
Coincidentally the bottom sandwiching was completed on a hull shape very much like the one in the pic. Foam was also added between the old and the new sheets. This "Bulldog" is still getting around OK. However the guy that designed and built them, and fixed it, is no longer around to my knowledge.

I too have seen the same design around the bay in my days there, expandable foam would be the go, one +ve for adding the extra sheet the increase in weight would make for a nicer boat overall.

cheers fnq

Cam-82
23-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Thank you all and my apologies gelsec my earlier post was not directed at you i am sure you could understand how frustrating it can be to try to get information about these sort of things. The 2mm bottom that is currently on my boat is pretty much rat s@#t. I have noticed on closer inspection that there are corrosion holes in the stern end of the hull. I would be alot happier to get rid of the old bottom sheets altogether, as i got the boat resonably cheap the cost of this is not a great problem.

thanx,
Brendan

Coontakinta
25-01-2008, 12:30 PM
M8 have just read your other post and gotta say I really hope you can get it sorted easily and without too much expense. What made you think the hull was 4mm? Is this what the seller told you? Was it bought the conventional way or the new way (ebay or similar)?

reidy
25-01-2008, 12:52 PM

Two heads twice the intelligence you dumb single headed -------.LOL
Reidy:)

gofishin
25-01-2008, 02:50 PM
Cam

Didn’t realise you had two posts going and this was ‘the boat’…

A few things come to mind;

the previous (and current?) lack of a single mandatory standard covering small boat construction for Australian conditions,
fitness for purpose,
and unfortunately for you, ‘caveat emptor’
I won’t get started on the first point, as I’ll be typing all week & will bore you all to death. Suffice to say, the ABP is a start, but it has a long long way to go before it useful and a true benefit to both builder and consumer – in my opinion (I am a consumer, and was previously in manufacturing alloy boats, hence I can speak from both sides of the fence)

I am sorry to say that this boat may never be ‘fit’ for the purpose that you intend it to be. Even if the bottom sheeting is strengthened, the nature of the hull design is such that the ‘structure’ of this boat, in anything from a moderate sea, will always be subject to substantially more stresses than a more conventional hull, be it a mono, cat or tri.

I have not kept up to date with current legislation, however the probable reason you are having trouble finding someone willing to undertake or quote is that,1) with a major structural change to this boat as such, they may have to ‘take ownership’ of the design and current ABP requirements (if indeed they apply here), and 2) likely candidates for this work are too busy building the great boats they build, with already long lead times.

Generally it is buyer beware for anything not new, however if you were told it had a 4mm bottom, and it does not, you may certainly have some recourse. It may be throwing good money at bad, but you may wish at least to check this out.

Gelsec, in the other post you didn’t mention ‘foam’ sandwich, hence I and others assumed you meant smacking one plate outside the existing one. Foam sandwich may indeed be a feasible option, and if done properly, corrosion should not really be an issue. However, it will still be a costly exercise, and would still be a hull not suited to offshore conditions.

Cam, you may need to enlist the services of a Naval Architect or similar. They may also find that the bottom sheet thickness is not the only problem with your boat.

Do your homework and exhaust all options, including ‘outside the square’ ones like the scrap value of aluminium, which currently is around $1.50/kg. Assuming your wheelhouse is structurally sound, there should be a few low volume manufacturers that would be willing to cut it off and slap it on one of their hulls. You may think I’m being a pr!k, but for a few more $’s, at least you would have a boat that would better suit your needs.
Cheers & good luck