PDA

View Full Version : navman 5500 GPS losing signal

pilchardjones
22-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Hello all,
I am hoping someone might know something about a problem I am having with my Navman 5500 GPS.
It frequently does not pick up satellites when initially turned on, and to get it to find satellites I have unpluggrd the antennae cord, sprayed the connections with WD40, then reconnected tightly, and it will usually find satellites.
On the weekend when I was using it, it was frequently losing the GPS fix 10 or 20 mins after connecting.

I have 2 boats and have an antennae and dash mount cradle set up in both of them to suit the Navman. Both boats are doing the same thing so I am pretty sure it is just the female socket on the back of the unit not quite sticking out far enough to make a salid connection with the male antennae cord pin.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? And is an adjustment easily possible of the plug on the back of the unit?

Thanks for anyones help.
Steve

bluefin59
22-01-2008, 03:57 PM
Yes i have had this problem amongst others ,mine has the inbuilt antenna but what was happening was the soldered joint at the back of the unit where the power cord plugs in was having an intermitent fault shutting down the unit . I sent it to navman and they repaired the solder joint in the unit and upgraded the software under warranty but that was 2yr ago and it looks like its going again ,this time it wont be going back but in the bin and i will buy a garmin probably ....matt

Leighton
22-01-2008, 04:36 PM
is the GPS next to your sounder?
I have the same prob, pics up Sat then drops out, usually when I am drifting.
Sent mine back to Navman and they said its interferience from my sounder and there was nothing they could do about it.
Turn the sounder off and pics up sat instantly.

pilchardjones
23-01-2008, 07:18 AM
thanks for the comments,
capt. i don't think it is related to the sounder as it occurs when the sounder is turned off as well as on.
probably best to send it back to navman but i am scared of my marks being lost if they do a software upgrade and i don't want to be without it for very long.

anyone else had it happen?

thanks,
steve

whiteman
23-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Had this problem. Sent it back out of warranty and Navman fixed it and updated the software, all for free. Great service. Must be a known problem.

Send it back.

bluefin59
23-01-2008, 04:11 PM
When you send it in make sure you tell them to save your marks and put them back in the first time they lost the lot second time i asked and they saved them ,or you could buy a user card for about $70 and save them yourself.....matt

BILLY THE KID
23-01-2008, 08:12 PM
Yes i have had this problem amongst others ,mine has the inbuilt antenna but what was happening was the soldered joint at the back of the unit where the power cord plugs in was having an intermitent fault shutting down the unit . I sent it to navman and they repaired the solder joint in the unit and upgraded the software under warranty but that was 2yr ago and it looks like its going again ,this time it wont be going back but in the bin and i will buy a garmin probably ....matt

you can throw it in my bin ;D

pilchardjones
24-01-2008, 08:40 AM
thanks a lot guys,
steve

Sandman
24-01-2008, 09:52 AM
Having the same prob but with lowrance, sent t back in under warranty big pain in the ass had been working fine for the first really played up at fraser at a time i needed to find a good mark .