PDA

View Full Version : My bar crossing rules

whichway
21-01-2008, 10:02 PM
Hi

With some of the events of last weekend, I though I would post my rules for crossing south passage bar:

Swell height 1.5 m or less from SE, probably only 1m if from E - Check wave rider bouy for swell height and direction
Any time on run in, but not in last half of run out - prefer to come in on the run out rather than go out on the run out if that makes sense
Wind less than 15 kn
Have a good look at the bar before crossing - and if not sure, it is better to be safe than sorry

Now some may consider that a bit (or even very) conservative, and it depends on the boat (6.2m for me) and skill of the skipper. I don't think I am highly skilled, but I have never really felt too stressed crossing the bar based on the rules above. I used to apply the same rules when I had a 4.75 centre console, only I was a bit more careful when crossing on the run out.

One of the consequences is that the conditions outside will be reasonably pleasant for fishing - you can cross the bar and fish in a 2m swell (and I'm sure my boat could), but after a few hours in 2m I just get too tired to enjoy it much.

I guess that I might apply the same rules to the seaway. It is probably safe at 2m swells, but again, it is not really all that good outside if the swells are large.

I will probably get shot down for this post, but that is just what I work on, and it does make for a nice day out.

Whichway

GAFYM
21-01-2008, 10:12 PM
Whichway,
Bar crossings are relatively simple......The Golden Rule....
If in doubt.....DONT.
Have done an about turn on the South Passage a few times when others have made it across. Of course, an hour later it has been flat.