PDA

View Full Version : kayak fishing

shappy
21-01-2008, 06:48 PM
g'day everyone,

you may have read my add in the for sale section back around november, i had a hornet trophy that i was part owner of. after coming way with my share from the sale of the boat i was planning to buy a open tinny around the 4metre mark.
well the plan turned in to me buying my brothers 4x4 hilux, thinking its time to introduce the kids to some camping.
this has made the tinny somethink to dream about for a while, but for now i am interested in a kayak, i want to get to some sand banks i fished around the front of the logan river and some other creeks in the area when i had the boat.
can some of the kayak fishos give some advise to what to look for in a kayak, how yours is set up, what features are handy to have etc.
thanks for any feed back!!

shappy

paul cooper
02-05-2008, 08:47 PM
ive got a bass one fishing kayak the only extras it has is a front mounted rod mount and one of those blow up bum cushions from the chemist its an affordable way to get to those out of the way places and it has been a lot of fun it is a lot easier to drag around than those long kayaks and you can throw it down banks and drag it over trees the only trouble ive had is fish pulling me around in a circle hey but who cares theres nothing better than floating along either with a yabbie or a worm ive caught good bass flathead whiting best 600 bucks i ever spent and when im not using it it sits up in the garage out of the way coop

Gigantor
12-06-2008, 01:27 PM
Shappy,

Really depends on what you want to do and how much cash ya got to put into it.

Needless to say most of the guys I kayak fish with generally have the following:

- 2 forward mounted rod holders (for trolling)
- a sounder (some also have a separate GPS)
- anchor trolly (this is the nose to tail rope for attaching an anchor)
- box or tray behind the seat to store lure boxes/gear
- landing net & lip grippers
- kayak trolly (for rolling the kayak to the waters edge)

If you are doing off-shore kayaking, then you can add rod leashes (so you don't loose the rods over the side).

Attached is a pic of my rig, a Hobie Outback, from last Saturday's trip to Wivenhoe Dam.

Cheers,

Pete

Dunks
13-06-2008, 04:31 PM
What's with the umbrella Pete? Is it for rain protection or in case the wind gets up so you can sail home?

Gigantor
16-06-2008, 01:15 PM
Right on both fronts, Wayne.

You were at Big W on the same morning and saw the dark clouds. That unbrella can cover most of the yak too.;D

Saw your rod holder instal. Looks good. Like the idea of using the cutting board as backing too. Might rip mine out and re-do them. Particularly after seeing how those 40+cm bass strike.

Cheers, Pete

StevenM
16-06-2008, 06:38 PM
Right on both fronts, Wayne.

You were at Big W on the same morning and saw the dark clouds. That unbrella can cover most of the yak too.;D

Saw your rod holder instal. Looks good. Like the idea of using the cutting board as backing too. Might rip mine out and re-do them. Particularly after seeing how those 40+cm bass strike.

Cheers, Pete

Good move Pete

They hit hard. Wait till a 50 comes along.

StevenM
16-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Shappy

I fish out of a Revo

Run a colour bird 777 sounder with squad beam
Seperate hand held GPS
Two Forward Rod Holders
Has a anchor trolley
Use a lead wedge for an anchor and use a drift shute in blow conditions.
Here is a pic

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s20/Hi-Yo/RocketLauncherH.jpg

shappy
17-06-2008, 04:19 PM
thanks guys,

hi-yo,, i see on akff you have owned a tempo or still do? i am interested in a viking tempo or the mission catch 390. it has been hard trying to split the two, but leaning more towards the mission as it was a little easier to paddle. i did not have a problem paddling the tempo, the one i paddle didn't have a seat fitted aswell. i like the tempo's cockpit layout a bit better though. just wanted to know why you have moved on from the tempo

thanks heaps for the feedback, shappy

JRJR
17-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Hey, Hi-Yo.

How do you manage to surf launch with your setup?, or don't you fish offshore?

Nice setup however.

StevenM
17-06-2008, 05:43 PM
Shappy

sold the Tempo because it was a bit of a pain in the freckle fishing with any wind. The have a big arse that catches the slightest of breeze.

Having hands free is what I wanted for my style of fishing, soft plastics, hardbods etc...no bait basically.

The Tempo has got a great cockpit layout. If you are looking at something like that would probably lok at the Viking ProMyth opps ProFish45.

If I was to get another paddle job then thats what I would lok at or a Wavedane Kingfisher, but pronbably the Promyth would get the vote.

Hope this helps.

StevenM
17-06-2008, 05:50 PM
JRJR

the yak is set up in bling bling creek / river / dam mode. Had soft plastics, popers, hardbods on at the time.

Do not take that many rods out in the open ocean, just two and then use only small extenders for rear rod holders to keep the reels out of the slop.

If waves dodgy then rods get leached down or put inside hull for entry / exit of wave zone.

Sounder is a quick disconect or bag with rubber bands over head, but if sus then off and bag over quick connect.

PS, dont like big waves and would not attempt them, think the South African fgass boats are better as they float ride above the wave where as a polly job cuts through.

macca
17-06-2008, 05:56 PM
Shappy

I too had a tempo, I can reflect the same as Steven, terrible in the wind, cumbersome to load and unload and hard to paddle as they are so wide.

I have a Hobie Revolution, the main reason I went for this one was handsfree fishing, Easy propulsion with the legs rather than your arms,Quality finish and sensational back up service. I can even sail mine with the optional sail kit.

I wished I had bout the Hobie Revo at the start would have save me alot of money. I still have a Hobie Quest, they are a paddle yak and it could be one worth considering if you have a budget. Around the 1500 mark quality finish, extremly stable, a joy to fish from and it catchs fish. I have caught all my pbs from that one and will be using it this friday, its just too good to sell. I have the best of both worlds:D

Shappy, who makes a mission catch 390? Never heard of them?

Cheers

macca
17-06-2008, 05:59 PM
Shappy

I fish out of a Revo

Run a colour bird 777 sounder with squad beam
Seperate hand held GPS
Two Forward Rod Holders
Has a anchor trolley
Use a lead wedge for an anchor and use a drift shute in blow conditions.
Here is a pic

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s20/Hi-Yo/RocketLauncherH.jpg

An absolute Fish Magnet;D

Nice one Steven:cool:

Cheers

shappy
17-06-2008, 06:02 PM
misson from what i under stand is part of perseption kayaks, thanks for the info guys

shano
26-06-2008, 10:13 PM
so how stable are they when you are actually fightingthe fish? do they want to tip over? it is something i also want to get into! but worried about being out over a reef and hooking upand getting all off balance? as i said i have never fished from one so i know nothing!

TJ Bear
27-06-2008, 07:51 PM
I have a Hobie Adventure and love it. Sold my centre console fibglass boat and would not go back. I dont think you can beat the Hobies if you like lures and plastics the Mirage drive is fantastic.

shano
27-06-2008, 08:04 PM
I have a Hobie Adventure and love it. Sold my centre console fibglass boat and would not go back. I dont think you can beat the Hobies if you like lures and plastics the Mirage drive is fantastic.

how much is the set up you have there tj?

Gigantor
04-07-2008, 03:58 PM
Shano,

Fighting fish on these kayaks is not a real problem. Unless you have a large tuna or shark on. Good fish will drag you around a little - but that's the fun part.

Hobie Adevnture's are around $2380 for the basic set-up. TJ's got a few other things on there, including the new Hobie Live Tank (behind the seat).

I've been tangling with some big Bass of late and have had no troubles at all. They are very stable kayaks. Pic attached os last saturday's 50cm Bass caught at Wivenhoe Dam.

Cheers,

Pete