PDA

View Full Version : Engine Control "Play"- Evinrude

West Coast Pom
21-01-2008, 01:43 PM
Hi guys,

got a hopefully quick question:

got a 1989 Evinrude, 70Hp, 2 stoke outboard- was out on the water the other day with an experienced boaty and he commented that the engine throttle cable and idling throttle cables are either worn or loose.

To describe it is easier- start engine, the idler arm when pulled up does little to increase the revs of the engine (gives me a few problems when cold starting as i can't effectively warm up the engine).

Plus there is a lot of "play" in the throttle when moving (particularly bad in reverse when i have to go full extent back just to get some decent reverse).

The question- is this a tension issue in the cables and can it be adjusted? Or do i need new cables or (even worse) new engine controls?:-[

anyone experinced this or got advice? The control is a simple "T" type with trim tilt.

Cheers

james

Noelm
21-01-2008, 01:53 PM
pretty simple thing to replace even if the cable is worn, but first off, take off the Engine cover, and get someone to lift the warm up lever, have a look at how long it takes to move from when they start to lift the lever, also, have someone turn the prop slowly, put it into gear and then full throttle (Engine not running of course) and see if the throttle advances to full open position, get back to us with those tests first and I will see what we can do next.

West Coast Pom
21-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Thanks Noel,

just took a bit of advice of the guys at Chivers Marine in Bibra Lake (wa) and they reckon pretty similar thing i.e. cable replacement is fairly simple provided the engine control iteself isnt worn out.

But the checks you mention will give me a better idea so i will check that out tonight after work and see where i am at!

This forum is a lifesaver i must say!

Oh and a quick thank to the WA river Police who pulled me up last weekend for speeding (only a little I might add) but cautioned me as i was a novice boater- very courteous, professional and friendly and I certianly will keep a better idea of the limit- well done guys.