PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Question?

TINHEAD
21-01-2008, 10:46 AM
I want to do some work on my trailer and would prefer if i could do it without the boat on it. I have seen boats resting on stacks of tyres before but how hard is it to get the boat back on the trailer? My boat is a BAHIA MAR 20 with a pod and outboard and the trailer is a redco tandem. Any info would be great.

Cheers Tinhead

Blackened
21-01-2008, 11:08 AM
G'day

search for a thread relating to this issue, I think it was by Mr Bean....

Pretty much unhook safety chain and let a few metres of winch cable out, take off tie downs and any other restraints

Tie boat to tree or anything else solid and then drive the trailer out from under it, throw tyres under it as you go, metre by metre.

Pretty simple really, One man can do it... but 2 is easier

Dave

oldboot
21-01-2008, 11:09 AM
I havnt dumped off a boat that big, but the principles are the same.

We dumped my bro'inlaws 14" off complete with motor & everthing onto his parents back lawn.....no tyres..... but tyres could be an advantage.

Getting it off is the easy bit.....we just gently sliped it off onto the lawn

We rested the tail on the lawn and very quietly drove the trailer out from under it.

Carefull & quiet

To get it back on we backed the trailer up to it, chocked the wheels with BIG chocke and unhooked the trailer from the car.
we proped the drawbar up with a piece of big timber and started to winche the boat on...as wee edged the boat onto the trailer we moved the chocks back & edged the drawbar support froward, allowing the trailer to move under the boat untill the boat was looking happy.
Then we pushed down on the drawbar & winched the rest of the way.

hook it up & drag it away.

If you are carefull and you have some nice soft lawn you cant do much damage.

you need to plan well and have stuff like chocks, blocks and tyres ready close by.

Look At it plan it well and have a couple of calm & carefull mates handy...& discuss the procedure with them before hand.

Let us know how you go .... post some pickies....lots of people arent game to do this

Watch out for clearance of the outboard led and any "bits" like sounder transponders & stuff hanging out the back.

With a boat like the bro'inlaws, Id have no hesitation in doing it by my self... but thats me.

cheers

Chimo
21-01-2008, 11:39 AM
With a bigger boat I'd be tempted to see if you can borrow another trailer and stick your boat on it while you do the work.

Failing that, use the tyres but probably sit it up on tyres 2 or 3 high along the keel and you will need extra tyres to prop the boat to keep it level.

The idea being that you drop it down as little as possible and therefore its easier to get off and on the trailer. Also a couple of tie off points ie two well placed trees could also help to keep the thing steady as well as holding it while you withdraw the trailer.

Chimo

dnej
21-01-2008, 04:06 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?p=740808#post740808

Try that post
David

TINHEAD
21-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Thanks heaps everyone i will let you know how i go, will try to gets some pics and post them when finished.

Cheers Tinhead :D

freddofrog
21-01-2008, 06:19 PM
We did it a completely different way.

We jacked up the boat and trailer and put what was effectively stilts under the boats transom and bow/flare. When the jack was lowered, the boat stayed suspended on the stilts and just the trailer came down.

Then we simply rolled the trailer out from under the boat, did what we had to do and then rolled it back, lowered the boat and presto, all done.

Bit fiddly get the "stilts" arranged correctly but seemed easier than dropping it onto the grass/tires option.

good luck
ff