PDA

View Full Version : Canopy Zip wont open

keen_angler
21-01-2008, 06:57 AM
Hi Guys,

Took the boat out on the weekend, and tried to open the zips for the canopy and they wont open, it looks like the zips have corroded a bit.

Have tried spraying CRC/WD40 to no avail, also tried using alot of force but nothing.

Any tips on how I would be able to clean it up so that I can open them again.

Cheers

Chimo
21-01-2008, 07:29 AM
Not sure but what about some boiling water out of the kettle?

I use MolyTec silicon luricant on mine its for rubber, plastic, metal and wood so will not hurt anything and has a bit of body as its out of a tube.

Got it from the pool shop as they use it on pool pump seals etc.

Cheers
Chimo

PADDLES
21-01-2008, 07:34 AM
i've used boiling water and it works to get rid of the salt buildup. you've still gotta wiggle it heaps to free it all up and then i hit the full length of the zip with wd40 to try and prevent it happening again. at the same time do all your presstuds and stayputs as well so they stay corrosion free and easy to detach.

Noelm
21-01-2008, 07:35 AM
only thing to do is just 'keep at it" just give it another spray, some hot water and wriggle it about a bit, it is a fairly common thing, the main thing to remember is do not try to pull it too hard, you will tear the clear/canopy material or bugger up the zipper, just keep tugging and spraying, it will probably come loose eventually!

Chimo
21-01-2008, 07:47 AM
PS I also used the MolyTec on all the press studs too and its benefit seems to be that it persists whereas the spray on stuf like WD 40 works well but I found it only lasted a short time.

Chimo

Fatenhappy
21-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Hey Keen angler ...

On the odd occassion I get a zip that is stuck fast and won't undo, I also do the wiggle thing but spray them liberally with any one of the Silicon based zipper sprays before starting the process.

The're redily available from any of the boating chanlery places ... Bias, Whitworths even BCF I think carry it. Works heaps better than WD40!!

I also use the same stuff for the stud fastners and the like .... its never failed yet!!

Cheers
Greg