PDA

View Full Version : Humminbird 727 sounder. not impressed

Local_Guy
20-01-2008, 09:47 PM
Ok. maybe someone can help me with this before i ring the place i bought it from and ask to exchange it.

As title says.. I have a brand new Humminbird 727 sounder with GPS addon.

my problem is that when i'm at speed in the boat anywhere above 8kts my sounder doesn't see the bottom. It reads stupid measurements upto 450m in 4.5m of water.

so my questions is this....
Is my transducer placed wrong and should be lowered more on the boat.
is it an electrical interference problem.
is it some other problem associated with the installation of the unit.
or
Is it because it's a humminbird unit and it doesn't like reading the bottom at speeds.

if anyone can suggest anything in regards to this to help me out it would be greatly appreciated.. if nothing fixes this i'll be ringing the people i bought it from to sort this problem out as you don't pay $700 for a sounder that can't read the bottom... isn't that what they are suppose to do....

thanks in advance.
jase

ozbizweb
20-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Jase,

Don't ring them just yet. Wait for somebody to advise you on the transducer position.

Black_Rat
21-01-2008, 05:47 AM
Jase,

Play around with the transducer set-up. I bought the same unit 5 months ago and on the first outing had similar problems. Would also get 2 read outs of the bottom comming across the screen but was reading the correct depth.

In the end I lowerd it a bit and worked fine. Still won't read at full speed 60 klm/h but 40 klm/h is fine.

finga
21-01-2008, 06:33 AM
Yep, playing with the transducer and the sensitivity settings works.
I also found working with just one frequency helps a lot too. 200 (I think it was) works for me.
The transducer position is critical especially on a tinny.
Can you bung a couple of pictures up of the transducer??
One from the back looking inline with the hull and one from the side square onto the transducer.

Local_Guy
21-01-2008, 09:18 AM
i had a look at the transducer last night after downloading the humminbird installation user manual and from what i read i lowered the transducer to it's lowest point on the adjustment slides.

hopefully this will fix the problem.

udlman
21-01-2008, 06:10 PM
The bottom of the transducer should be in line with the hull, and tilted down a little at the back. You should be able to get a depth reading at speed but not a bottom plot.

Hth. Brad.