PDA

View Full Version : Lucky me --- old Stacer & corrosion

trev1
20-01-2008, 05:33 PM
I'm one of the lucky ones that ended up with an old Stacer and its associated corrosion problems. It already has about 140 spot patches (welded) on pinholes. It has developed more now and I am sick of fixing it. Is there anything out there that I can put on the underside of the hull to stop these leaks until I can afford a new hull? I was thinking along the lines of mixing hardener with mastic and spraypainting it on to try to seal it up.

TonyM
20-01-2008, 06:44 PM
I hate to say it Trev but there comes a point when they need to become scrap alloy (or a garden feature).

Whenever that is it's up to you of course, however personally it'd be sooner rather than later.

Once they get lots of pinholes it tends to be a downhill run from there - at least in my personal experience as I've had a few second hand tinnies over the years.

Covering the hull with a coating at this stage could possibly make the problem even worse as it could create an opportunity for salt water to ingress and get trapped under the coating.

Wish I had better news for you!

trev1
20-01-2008, 06:57 PM
yeah thanks but I'm not in a position to buy yet . problem is , I've got a good trailer,motor,console,fuel tank , ect , and only the hull is letting me down. I guess I'm just trying strecth it out a bit longer .

TonyM
20-01-2008, 07:18 PM
I know the feeling as I've been there.

On one tinny I had years ago I had a similar problem. Whilst it did end up as a garden ornament eventually I got away for a while using metal putty to fill pin holes. It ended up as a garden bed but I did get an extra year out of it, although I only used it in the bay in front of my house and wouldn't go further than I was prepared to swim :-/

I guess the important thing to consider is do you think it's a safety issue.