PDA

View Full Version : Optimal Settings on 585 for Underway Operation

Splash
20-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Hi Team.

I need advice on what optimal settings I need to impart on my Furuno 585 sounder to achieve clear, undistorted image whilst underway.

At present, I get zippo when moving but great when anchored
up.

I have been told positioning of ducer may be an issue (hence turbulence etc.) but I am tryign to eliminate the easiest things befor I cut more holes in my floor...:-[ , and remold the oil container it now sits in....

My ducer is the Airmar 600W (wetbox) and it is as close to the bottom of the V as possible, but away from keel and any planing strakes and have avoided areas where bubble trails can be left by planing strakes / fitings etc.

Hope you can help.

Splash

seamonkey
20-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Splash

Something as simple as upping the gain when underway can help..have you tried that?

Sm

Splash
20-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Not yet. Shall try next time I'm underway.

How shoudl the gain assist me?

The manual does not really explain how to optimise settings for underway action.

Other points of view?

Splash

marco
20-01-2008, 06:20 PM

The manual does not really explain how to optimise settings for underway action.

Other points of view?

Splash

cam,
pm me your email and i'll send you a couple of files about tuning furunos

mark

seamonkey
20-01-2008, 07:26 PM

Other points of view?

Splash

If the signal is too weak returning from the bottom it may not be picked up, especially under way and especially with a wetbox. Give it a go...costs nothing.

SM

Cheech
22-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Hi Splash,

I have the same transducer and the same problems. I have tried lots of different settings and nothing changes.

I have had an oil leak in mine as well. And I am sure it is installed correctly. The last time I refilled it it worked good. Only lost bottom a couple of times. But then next time it lost it a lot more. I think I need to put a wetbox around my wetbox.

I regret ever getting it. I have it in a clear position away from strakes etc. Like you sead, you cannot just keep cutting holes in your floor to try other locations.

I would have gone for a standard transducer if I knew I was going to have these problems. At least then you can easily adjust it.

Cheech

Splash
22-01-2008, 07:38 PM
THank sMarco. Good oinfo.

Cheech.

Can you share (on here) the settings u have tried to obtian our common wish?

Splash

oddbudman
22-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Splash,

Can you show a pic how it is mounted in the boat in this thread?

oddbudman

Splash
22-01-2008, 08:57 PM
I'll have to remove the floor panel, rip off the sealant and undo top of wetbox - maybe...

The wetbox has be glassed in by a proffessional fiberglass man.

SPLash

oddbudman
22-01-2008, 09:14 PM
Splash,

Don't go doing that, didn't realise the extent of the install ;)

That tuning document that is going round should help you get a good understanding on what to tweak to help try and find a good echo.

oddbudman

Smithy
22-01-2008, 10:37 PM
99% of the time I am running in Auto Fishing Gain. I am very happy with that setting and this is from a person who runs most things 100% manual. I did go manual and full gain out on the shelf and was able to ping 500m with a transom mount transducer doing 20knots.

snelly1971
22-01-2008, 11:27 PM
Must agree Smithy...I have not used mine a great deal ...but usually i am in Auto fishing too..

Mick

ozlongboarder
23-01-2008, 08:35 AM
Slightly offtopic, how accurate is the fish id and fish size information that can be shown on the display? I know a guy with 620 who claims its accurate, I was just wondering what others opinions are of it.

Cheech
23-01-2008, 02:51 PM
Mostly related to the gain on manual and auto, and TVG on each setting of low/med/high. Tried with and without bottom lock, manually setting the range, scroll speed, 90 and 200, anything else that I thought could remotely be related to holding bottom in isolation or in combination.

About the only thing I have not tried is turning fish ID on. Though having seen ozlongboarders post, that reminds me of an old sounder I once had. It would not hold bottom at speed unless fish ID was on. I think I will give that a go next time out. You just never know. If it does hold then I can turn it on for the trip out and back, and just turn it off at the fishing grounds.

oz, I cannot comment on the accuracy of the symbols as I have never used them. You will find that most people with 620's and 585's run with them turned off. Though based on how mine goes (apart from when on the plane), I would expect them to be pretty reliable. They are a great unit.

Cheech

seamonkey
23-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Not sure about the 585 but other Furuno's had a Bottom level gain in the hidden setup menu...(power on whilst holding the menu button I think). with that you could make adjustments for thru hull fittings etc. Any mention of that in your manual?

SM

Splash
24-01-2008, 07:20 AM
Thanks boys.

SeaMoneky - To confirm press 'Power On' Button at the same time 'Menu' button.

Is this correct?

Splash

seamonkey
24-01-2008, 08:53 AM
Splash

Just looked at the manual.....go into menu>system>calibration. You can adjust the gain level here for both frequencies. Thats like a coarse adjustment if your running out of range on the gain knob.

There isn't a Bottom level adjustment on here although the Fish level seems to be a similar function. Don't know enough about it to suggest changing but you could see what it does when your out. Maybe drop furuno a line.

Sorry i can't be more help.

Cheers
sm

bobp
24-01-2008, 04:10 PM
splash are you run your range in auto ? if not try doing so as i have found that if you are in manual range and go out of the range set it will not pick up the bottom

bob

Splash
28-01-2008, 07:47 PM
OK boys - just gone out with some testing...

It worked. I tracked bottom at around 40-50 km per hour.

I turned up gain and changed to auto.

DOn't know what else I did as I fiddled but it's a start..

Many thanks boys,

Splash

Dan5
28-01-2008, 07:58 PM
Hey splash where did you get out to today? Have you done the bromby's yet or elizabeth bay? I'll have a look through my old mark's for you and send ya a pm.Dan............

Splash
28-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Hi Dan.

Only to Veronica, Bonner Rocks at moment.

WEather has only just started to calm down after nearly 2 months of total crap..

I also need to gain more confidence in my rig before I hit those distances....getting there though :-)

Thanks for the marks when u send the PM.

Splash