PDA

View Full Version : Floods & Fish Kills ?

Knotpretty
20-01-2008, 12:29 PM
I've been reading threads re fish kill in my home town ballina.
A question to members in other locations around aus when it floods in your area does it result in fish kills ?. The flood resulting in fish kills only occurring in the Richmond. After reading newspaper articles regarding the fish kill the same bullshit is being stated as the previous one, farmers claim they are not to blame a natural occurrence caused by rotting vegetation others say. But the one question that has to be asked is will it occur again and can we or anyone else do anything to stop it ?. Any thoughts ?

Slider
20-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Following the August floods of 2007 we had many dead bream wash in on Teewah Beach. Today mullet started washing in - some still alive - and 2 dead cormorants close to the mouth of the Noosa River. Also several large sweetlip last week near the 3rd cut. This sort of thing did not happen previously to my knowledge and I have fished the mouth after a fresh religiously since '85. On both of these latest occasions, the foam on the beach has been a filthy brown colour when it used to be more white in colour and less of it and photos I have going back to the early 70's demonstrate that. Rotting algae could be a factor but again run off is a major contributor to that. This is no 'natural' phenomenom as far as I'm concerned.

Lindsay

Volvo
20-01-2008, 11:45 PM
Mojo, farmers are partially right i'm afraid..Ive been living in the Gladstone region since 1980 and back when the good rains were more present and directly after a good downpour in the calliope River adjascent to where i work we used to have dead fish floating on the surface and also being sucked up into the intakes by the garbage bins..
Happens by the amount of silt being washed into the river so suddenly and starves the water of oxygen?? or gums up the gills of the Fish??..
Two versions ive heard of but yes have witnessed it directly after good heavy rains and feel will witness it again in the not too distant future if we get the rains i think we will get...
Only a matter of time as they are getting them elswhere around us..
Whether clearing of the mangrioves to make way for industry has /had anything to do with it ?? i couldnt tell ya and would only be guessing but some disasters do happen by natures hand i think:-/ ..