PDA

View Full Version : Motor Age Question

Chuckmeister
19-01-2008, 03:20 PM
G'day All,

This is going seem like a dumb question to some but I'm looking at buying a boat in the next couple of weeks. I've been doing a fair bit of looking around and picking brains, etc. I previous owned a boat (13ft6 Stessl with old suzuki 80hp) and knew I'd only get a short life out of it.

Now, I'm looking at a Qunitrex with a 2001 Yamaha 100hp on it. It's only done about 250hrs and been looked after pretty well. With a motor about 6-7 yrs old can I expect to forking out any extra costs soon after I buy it? Is there a rule of thumb with age and motors? I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing before I spend between 25-30K.

Any imparting of wisdom appreciated.

Cheers

finga
19-01-2008, 03:38 PM
G'day All,

I previous owned a boat (13ft6 Stessl with old suzuki 80hp) and knew I'd only get a short life out of it.

Cheers
Hooly dooly what a weapon.
Just slightly overpowered I's say ::)

Anyways back to the question...it's all a lucky dip.
If there's records of servicing and if the general condition of the motor is good and you get a good 'vipe' about the motor then there's some hope for the motor.
I hope it all goes well either way
Cheers Scott :)

Chuckmeister
19-01-2008, 06:21 PM
finga: Hooly dooly what a weapon.
Just slightly overpowered I's say

I know! It was like that when I bought it when I lived in NQ. It was too frightening if I gave it some stick.

Thanks for your advice, though. Kind of what I figured.

Much appreciated

sharkymark2
19-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Remember some years ago when I worked as a deckie for Hayles Cruises of a guy at Bishop Island with a 12 foot ally can with a 40hp evinrude on it. His mate had to stand on the foredeck and hang on to the rope to get them on to the plane otherwise he would bury the the stern. I thought they were crazy but an 80 on a 13 1/2 footer. Was the boat named ' Kamikaze" ? You might get a job over in the middle east ;).

Mac_Attack
19-01-2008, 06:52 PM
If you buy a 2-stroke i dought much maintance and if he flushed it after every use then there is a very rare chance of corrosion. Just check the carbon build up on the spark plugs and if they look ok then u should no problems but it different with a 4 stroke.
Cheers Nick