PDA

View Full Version : Anchor Chain Length ????

bustastu
19-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Boys:

Just wondering what is the correct length of 10mm anchor chain I need for a 6 metre fibreglass boat.

As the weather has been bad for so long, I might as well spend some money on the boat seeing I'm not spending it on bait and fuel.

Cheers

BS

Hagar
19-01-2008, 11:05 AM
BS

A common question here and you will find plenty of info if you do a search . I use more than some guys as I regularly anchor in water deeper than 150 feet . I use 5 metres of chain on my 5.3 metre but I think it's 8mm from memory . A heavy pipe anchor is just as important for hassle free anchoring I reckon . Retriever buoy is a must for anything like deep water .

Chris

Chimo
19-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Probably the length of the boat plus a bit is good. I have about that plus a spare similar length that I sometimes join on to the first bit.

Also have a boat length of about 12mm but the deckie got a bit pissed off with it but that was when he insited in hand pulling the 12 mm rode instead of using the split ring and float.

I tend to find that the right length of good chain goes a long way to compensate for a smallish anchor be it reef or sand.

Cheers
Chimo

deadbeatloser
19-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Boys:

Just wondering what is the correct length of 10mm anchor chain I need for a 6 metre fibreglass boat.

As the weather has been bad for so long, I might as well spend some money on the boat seeing I'm not spending it on bait and fuel.

Cheers

BS

gday m8 how you go n?
you know the whitworths catalogue it has a guide in it which states quote
an anchor rode should always include enough chain to ensure a horizontal pull along the bottom. a minimum of ten meters of chain or the boat length (whichever is the lesser)isrecommended. an allchain anchor rode should be used for anchoring in coral reef areas. quote unquote
cheers DBL

ovakil
19-01-2008, 02:23 PM
I have a 6.5 metre fibreglass boat,I have 20m of chain & 20 pound plough anchor.So far have never seen it drift.As I go diving don't want boat to move.Also have electric winch.