PDA

View Full Version : raymarine ds500x wet screen

deadbeatloser
18-01-2008, 10:54 PM
my ds500x has always fogged a little but now when i go out i can hardly see the soundings as i cant see past the condensation on the screen which covers 95%. pull it to pieces 2 days ago all seems sweet. got me buggered as i had same trouble with my new furuno and taylor marine said it cant be helped as heat exchange with all the components cause the condensation.
maybe i need to drill pinhole at top of unit to expell the heat as the small hole in the back obviously doesnt do its job and having no windsceen doesnt help ,
does any one else have this problem???????????????????????????????:wut::wut:

Vindicator
18-01-2008, 11:09 PM
No, my windscreens still intact. Oh you mean the condensation build up, no

Cheers
Kezza

deadbeatloser
18-01-2008, 11:25 PM
No, my windscreens still intact. Oh you mean the condensation build up, no

Cheers
Kezza

we can fix that screen with an etec:lolk::lolk::lolk:

honda900
19-01-2008, 07:59 AM
Isn't the unit waterproof? if so drilling a hole in it will solve that pretty quickly.
.:o

honda900
19-01-2008, 08:04 AM
DBL,

looks like raymarine have been replacing the screen to a thicker piece of glass to solve the problem.

http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70865&page=3

Regards
HOnda

Vindicator
19-01-2008, 08:15 AM
I walked straight into that one didn't I

Wahoo
19-01-2008, 08:34 AM
or even a 25hp Merc;D;D;D;D;)

as for the screen fogging up, Furuno had problems with there 585s
they use a hair drier ( not heat gun) and spend 10min on low to dry it all out, then they placed those little packs of ........jeeezzzz i forget the name of them, but they suck up any moisture in the unit, they put two of these in the unit, maybe you can try this on yours

hope this helps

Daz

snelly1971
19-01-2008, 01:39 PM
or even a 25hp Merc;D;D;D;D;)

as for the screen fogging up, Furuno had problems with there 585s
they use a hair drier ( not heat gun) and spend 10min on low to dry it all out, then they placed those little packs of ........jeeezzzz i forget the name of them, but they suck up any moisture in the unit, they put two of these in the unit, maybe you can try this on yours

hope this helps

Daz

Silicon Gel....

Mick

BAR UP
19-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Hey DBL, i had one of them. Great sounder but also had that prob. Was still under warranty & Glascraft replaced it & the new one was ok but that was 3 boats ago.

Wahoo
19-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Silicon Gel....

Mick

thats the one, cheers Mick;)

luizfelipe
31-03-2008, 10:50 PM
Guys, this a post from a Brazilian, so forgive my English…

I’ve got a DS500x that had the same fogging problem, which was really disturbing me… Since we don’t have technical assistance for Raymarine in Brazil (local dealers have to send to USA for fixing problems) I had to decide whether to wait a couple of month to get it dispatched to the USA and back to Brazil or to try fixing it myself. So I decided to try myself…

I’ve opened the unit very carefully and I used a hairdryer for about 5 minutes to remove any moisture, than I placed a “Silica Gel” inside (those small bags that come with some electronics) to avoid further fogging… For me it is working so far, but I believe I’ll have to change it from time to time (maybe 6 to 12 months). One thing that has surprised me is the process to open and close the unit was very easy, so it should not be a big deal to do it yourself – YOUR OWN RISK.

I would recommend to be very careful with the hairdryer you are gonna use… some of them cam be very hot and powerful… just check the best distance with your backhand…

Hope it helps… and please let me know the results…

Good day