PDA

View Full Version : Mounting leccy motor

Crooked
17-01-2008, 05:49 PM
hi All,
I have just purchased a bowmount 54lb thrust watersnake and on the weekend will mount it to the 4.2m tinny.

The boats a stessco catcher with checker plate foredeck and wide sides.

I know most people have a welded plate to mount on, but I was hoping to make up a wood chock that would level it out and provide a platform out from the nose. I was going to mount off to the side a bit, about 30-40cm from front.

If anyone has any pics or has done this before some info or photos would be great. I did a search but then remembered in the forum software changover alot of the photos were lost!:-[

thanks, Evan

Hebb
17-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Evan,
I mounted motor to bow of my tinny as follows. Got a peice of 8mm alluminium plate and cut to width of mounting plate. I left overhang to desired length . I then bolted this down to the bow lip and cross brace that run across under the bow deck. (The bow had one stringer under skin). I had to countersink the alloy plate and used countersunk bolts so as the mounting plate could bolt onto plate ( bolted right through alloy and boat skin) without fouling on bolts. Ran some silicone around edge to tidy up and is solid as a rock. I had considered a using ply but had the alloy plate there and it is considerably stronger than ply and looks better. I coundn't see why it woundn't work with timber mount but i would be worried about mounting bolts chewing out the timber over time and spilling your motor into the drink. I would consider using timber for chock but would recomend some form of plate as securing area for mount.
I have same electric motor as you have purchased and wonder how i put up with a stern mount for so long.
Hebb

Crooked
17-01-2008, 08:08 PM
Thanks Hebb,
I reckon there's probably some ally plate laying around the old man's shed.....so I think I might raid it! Good idea to add strength.

Did you have to adjust your's to get it level? or was this not an issue. My bow doesn't have a large curve, but if mounted with no wedge etc it wouldn't be level. The motor would work best when level I imagine.

And definately looking forward to avoiding the frustration of having the tide/wind push me into the bank, starting the 2 stroke etc...etc. can't wait!

thanks, Evan

DJ77
17-01-2008, 09:05 PM
i used te quick release plate on the cat it works very well more points to fix to the boat