PDA

View Full Version : Seaway

seastorm
17-01-2008, 07:00 AM
As most of you are like me and have not been able to get outside due to weather, can anyone tell us if the southern channel in the seaway is still there, if you look at it on low tide on the surf cams looks like waves are breaking and the channel to the north is ok now?:-/

PWCDad
17-01-2008, 09:27 AM
I went out the Seaway last Sunday (twice) and used the southern side. Admittedly I was on my PWC not in my boat but it looked pretty deep still to me. I have a Garmin Sounder on board but dont really look at it anymore in the seaway ... keeping my eyes on the water in the bigger stuff.

A couple of big multi-hull sail boats came in the southern side while I was playing in the large swells. The tide was about 1/3 rd down from high though ....

Coast guard was doing training runs in and out (about 15 goes out and in) they seemed to favour the middle or just slightly towards the northern wall. I think the reason for that was the swell was running SE .... and if something goes wrong with the boat you are not on the rocks in 10 seconds.

I followed the southern wall very close as I went out ... like 15 metrers away from it as the swell was running S.East. Because of the large swell (with plenty of sea on top of it) at about 60 metres short of the end of the southern wall I peeled off the wall and exited about 1/3 of the way across from the southern wall tip ....plenty of white water around !!! This took me out at a great angle to the swells (verses head-on) and when in a large gully I swung around 90 degrees to then head in a southerly direction for a bit.

A mate with me went a bit further out (second run out) and at about 1Nm out came across a big school of sharks in between the swells .... our skis are 10ft 6ins long and they were much longer than ski !!! He came back in after 10 mins or so and we legged it back inside.

We did 160k's for the day ... great trip !

Regards
PWCDad