PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 4 Stroke

Tiny Jim
16-01-2008, 07:29 PM
HI, Has anybody got an opinion of Yamaha 4 stroke outboards?Thanks

pursuit001
16-01-2008, 07:39 PM
hi mate bloody good donk a little sluggish off the off the mark and have a bit of weight to think if your thinking of buying one have you considerd the di etec there nearly as quiet and are fantasic on fuel .
cheers shane

SgBFish
16-01-2008, 07:49 PM
Tiny
Have a search on this site for more info. There are also comparisons available on the web that compare all the relevant variables to consider when choosing an outboard for your needs.
Ps. I have has 2 and they are very good.
Scott

poundalead
16-01-2008, 07:50 PM
Hey mate I own a 100hp on my centre console. Great motor not one complaint, starts first time every time even when its cold. It has clocked up 875hrs now and is still like new. I service it once a year and its always flushed. I know the E Tecs are great, my mates dad just got a 150hp on his new centre-cab absolutely awesome motor no questions asked. The only thing with the E Tecs I believe is they haven't got the runs on the board like the Yamaha's. The only thing that I can fault with them is, like Pursuit 001 said they are sluggish off the mark.

I am also lucky that my dealer is very helpful and extremely friendly, so if I ever did need to replace the donk I would probably stick with Yammie for that reason.
In hindsight whichever ever brand you buy these days you will get a good product.

Go the Yams, Benny

Tassie JR
16-01-2008, 08:02 PM
I agree with Benny, we also have a 225 yammie with a little over 500 hours and its still running strong. But like benny said there all fairly equil these days.

cheers tassie JR

captain rednut
16-01-2008, 08:56 PM
i couldnt be happier with my 225hp yammy with 220hrs in the 1st year, it was a good choice. thanks cr

snelly1971
16-01-2008, 09:01 PM
I run twin 115 Yammie four strokes...I was not a big lover of them awile back...but am now hooked...sure the etecs are probably good motors...but like anything that is new on the market...they seem to have little bugs that need ironing out...I would not but a new released outboard eg..etec unless they have been on the market for a couple of years or more...This is my opinion...The same can be said for Mercurys Optimaxs..they had a few probs early on...but after being on the market for a fair while now...they seem to be a great motor..

Mick

Scott nthQld
16-01-2008, 09:09 PM
I have a 60hp yammie, and its great. Was interested in the Etec when I was looking, but at nearly twice the price in this size range I gave it a miss. Bloody good engine, uses next to no fuel (I get about 20-30km out of about 10-12L depending on the weather). weight wasn't really an issue, only slightly heavier than the Etec. Mind you I have only racked up about 30hrs, so not much can go wrong in that amount of time. But yes, they do take a bit to get off the mark, but its not like we go speed fishing now is it?

I get to 30knt top speed pushing along a 1992 16ft Quinnie with a couple of big blokes and a boat full of fishing gear.

Luc
16-01-2008, 09:17 PM
I've had a 25/4 for the last 4 years and am quite happy with it.

I've not had any problems.

Luc

death_ship
16-01-2008, 09:18 PM
solid units, agree on hole shot but the difference was negligible when i swapped over to one from a 2 stroke, cant fault it yet

Tangles
16-01-2008, 09:31 PM
I have a yammie 50 4 stroke and love it, then again if i had a suzuki, merc or honda which started everytime and was reliable id love that too, but you wouldnt go wrong, boils down to what you know,

mike

Scott Ashe
17-01-2008, 07:11 AM
Hi mate,

I have an '07 25 Yamaha 4 stroke with electric start and power trim and tilt. Its a bloody good little motor. I won't be upgrading this motor for quite some time, and then I'd only buy Yamaha again.

Cheers
Scott.

deadbeatloser
17-01-2008, 08:05 AM
i had a 07 60 efi and could not fault it , i didnt think it was sluggish at all wot 36knts cruise 1/2 throttle for 24knts on a 4.7 tinny , exellent fuel economy....
now hav etec

beers DBL;D

revs57
17-01-2008, 08:15 AM
Hi TJ,

I have an f200 on the 6.5mt riptide Cuddy.. I don't know why people say they are slow of the mark, mine will tear ya head off outa the hole and has great and responsive performance offshore with a 17" Prop @ 75klm/hr 6000RPM. Good outa the hole and excellent economy on the cruise for the bay but ball tearing top end with a 19" prop @ 85klm/hr 5800rpm.

use 1 litre / nautical mile (1.6 klm or 18lts/hr) on the cruise between 3800-4200 RPM (around 40-44klm/hr)

done 140 hrs since may...couldn't be happier

Rhys

Hebb
17-01-2008, 08:40 AM
Have a 01, 60 high thrust on glass 16 footer, good economy, excellent reliability and aftermarket service and excellent accelaration. 400hrs and compression on motor is still like new.
Heb

wags on the water
17-01-2008, 08:45 AM
G'day Tiny Jim,

I have a 100hp on my 519 Stacer cuddy and have excelent fuel economy. 96kms for 35l - 2 trips out to the southern end of the banks. One trip out to top end of moreton and chasing macs around the top end of the bay - 142kms for 65l. For fuel economy it all depends on how you drive. Flat out all the time will use more fuel. 3/4 throttle seems to work fine.

black runner
17-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Hi Jim,

I have a Yammie 60 efi on a Stacer 460. Everything you read about the quietness, fuel economy and reliability is true.

When I was looking for my boat (used) I waited until one with a low hours Yammie 4st came up. I haven't been disappointed.

Warranty support is second to none as well. There was a slight weep in the power tilt ram seal. The dealer said that there was a batch that leaked and relaced the whole Ram assy without batting an eyelid.

Heaps of the commercial marine operators use them down here in Tas also, and they are tough on outboards.

The only thing I would suggest is to go efi rather than carbs if buying used.

Fred

boogsboat
17-01-2008, 08:54 PM
I have finally clocked up 10 hours on my new 60 Yammie 4 Stroke and have used less then 60L of fuel. So I was pretty impressed with economy less then 6L per hour and that was with mixed revs pretty similar to my normal running during a day out. Apart from that it is quiet compared to my 96 15hp merc and no Fumes

All the best I recomend one.

P.S.
They have also doubled their service intervals. They Are now 20 hours for first instead of 10 and 100h instead of 50 for normal services.

Nathan

noboatyet
18-01-2008, 10:39 PM
Hi Jim,
Just thought I'd share my experience with a Yammie 4 stroke.
I repowered a Haines Signature with a 100 hp 4stroke replacing a 90 hp Mariner.
The Yammie was great in comparison, started first time, no smoke, quiet and good on fuel. I cut my fuel usage to about 2/3 of what I was using.
Prior to heading out one day I checked the oil, to find that it was white. Straight into the Dealer who told me they had trouble with the seals in some of the oil pumps, which allowed salt water into the sump!!! This was fixed by Yamaha even though the warranty period was up.
After that experience I got into the habit of checking the oil before and after each trip. I never had another problem with the motor.
My mate on the other hand who also repowered at the same time has just had a new head put on his motor as the water jacket corroded through allowing water into the cyclinder, cost him $4500 to get back on the water, he's not so happy.

Cheers

Murray

flotsom
18-01-2008, 10:43 PM
yamaha = good motor. good service back up, good dealers...

Dean1
19-01-2008, 10:30 AM
yamaha = good motor. good service back up, good dealers... I agree floto!!! How's ya been mate?? Happy new year. So when are these 70 4 stroke yammies comin out?? Have to catch up for a coldie to run the new year in. Gotta give tony a ring soon too. Catch ya mate, Deano.

BigE
19-01-2008, 11:17 AM
nothing but good times with my 60/4 as well..... best thing is the fuel economy. mines on on an old old FG 1/2 cab 4.8m and at 30 -35 kph it'll will do 70-80 kms on a tote tank ..... dont know if my donk was a freak or not but at $1.30 a liter I wont be getting it replaced anytime soon thats for sure.

BigE

pop_eye
19-01-2008, 04:35 PM
I have had 4 yamaha outboards (2 and 4 strokes) and the only problem I have had is with rot/corrosion on the 4 stroke models around the base of the powerhead internally and externally, noisy. Brilliant motors, now have 175 suzuki current model it is better then brilliant pushing a tone of plate.