PDA

View Full Version : stolen

sid_fishes
16-01-2008, 07:20 PM
as you guys are aware i do work for all sorts of poeple, including a really good mate who builds motor homes. well to day i call in to see him, and he was pissed, they had been broken into his last night, flatscreen teles, dvd, a safe , which had money, and paperwork, as thay were going away. both the cops, insurance poeple dont want to know. but the thing is i do their gear was marked, there are prints all over the place and no one gives a toss. can someone tell me where it all changed. i thiught cops had a duty to find out shit, they did when i was younger otherwise i wouldn,t have been in so much shit. i feel better now, cheers sid

Vindicator
16-01-2008, 07:24 PM
Gday Sid,

Hope things turn out, nothing worse than being done over then no-one wants to know about it. I would of thought the cops would have a duty of care, not to mention the insurance co. What insurance were they with?

Cheers
Kezza

tunaticer
16-01-2008, 08:06 PM
I'm not saying that your mate did the wrong thing but I have noticed that they really do not put in the effort if you admit to not locking up securely. Insurance companies follow the same line. My mate got stuff all pleasure from his insurance company when he tried to make a claim on a break and enter. They asked if the deadlocks were used at the time of the break-in. He replied that he was out for less than an hour and relied on the standard door locks. Because his policy states he has dead locks fitted and they were not used he got next to nill from the insurance company.
Sometimes you gotta wonder about the technicality of using the std door lock or the deadlock. One is a possible death trap and sometimes inconvenient and the other one suffices on the majority of houses in Aus.

Jack.

plaztix
16-01-2008, 10:33 PM
No wonder thefts are becoming more common. They've got nothing to fear.

And yes i agree with you on the deadlocks Jack, i often worry if i'm going to have to throw my 18 month old out the window in an emergency because of the nature of the deadlocks. But i honestly don't feel safe without them locked.

Simmo2
16-01-2008, 11:01 PM
Agree with your thoughts there Plaztix, we leave the doors open up here, but the security screens locked. Its a pain grabbing the key when a guest or the courier arrives etc...imagine in an emergency fighting to find that bloody key.... (dont get me wrong, we have an evacuation plan, but things happen.

On the subject of insurance companies...I work on building sites, new buildings, developments etc.
I 'lost' a Ramset rotary hammer battery drill one day. I rang the insurance co and told them it had been stolen. They asked me for the police report, and had the vehicle been securely locked... I said, 'well no, this was on the job, someone must have walked passed and just grabbed it when I wasnt looking....or another tradey... dunno??'
They said 'no cover!!!'
Anyway after saying 'well get plucked then'....
The next day another trady rang me and asked if I was missing anything!!!!

4x4frog
17-01-2008, 08:26 AM
No wonder thefts are becoming more common. They've got nothing to fear.

And yes i agree with you on the deadlocks Jack, i often worry if i'm going to have to throw my 18 month old out the window in an emergency because of the nature of the deadlocks. But i honestly don't feel safe without them locked.
I was once told a deadlock isn't to stop people getting in; it actually makes it hared for the thief to get out with your belongings once they are in the house. Food for thought.
We had d/l at our last place and I'd refuse to lock them at night for the exact reasons mentioned here.
If they want to get in, they will.

finga
20-01-2008, 07:37 AM
On the subject of insurance companies...I work on building sites, new buildings, developments etc.
I 'lost' a Ramset rotary hammer battery drill one day. I rang the insurance co and told them it had been stolen. They asked me for the police report, and had the vehicle been securely locked... I said, 'well no, this was on the job, someone must have walked passed and just grabbed it when I wasnt looking....or another tradey... dunno??'
They said 'no cover!!!'
Anyway after saying 'well get plucked then'....
The next day another trady rang me and asked if I was missing anything!!!!
Exactly the same thing happened to me once.
My brand new Hitachi hammer battery drill (this was years ago and they just came out and was the only hammer battery drill) went missing.
Now it was a closed site so I left the drill in my lockup (switchboard), the charger in a power point and the case in another area.
The lot went missing one night.
Anyways the usual no your not covered and the rest of the BS happened.

About 12-18months later this guy wanted me to put power onto his block.
No worries. He was a bit of a scumbag so I put an extra 100% on the price (if I'm going to wait for money I'm going to make it worthwhile), do the job and then he disn't want to pay.
So I knew he drank every Friday night so early (5.30 in the am) I goes to his place and blow me down the boots open of the car and guess what's inside??
My bloody drill...bastard.
I look in the butt and my initials are there.....bastard.
So I play it all as nothing has happened and get him out of bed and up him for the rent about my money. I didn't mention the drill at all.
He said he'd have the money by 8.00am and come back.
I said if the money wasn't there I'd take great pleasure in driving the drott through his home.
Anyways whilst I was waiting until 8.00am I go to the coppers and tell them the story and they say beauty!!!
They ask me if I want to go and get the scumbag with them (about 7 by this) and I say can it wait until after 8 so I can maybe get my money.
No worries...
So I go in myself to get my money and he had it. Beauty!! I must have scared him a bit ;D

I walk out and the coppers drive in.
He got 6 months. Ha!!!

Karma's a bitch sometimes. ;D

sid_fishes
20-01-2008, 06:01 PM
keeza, mate i,m not sure of the insurance company, but all is not good, they are saying that they will cover bs things like $2000 dollars worth of crockery , but wont cover lcd screen tv,s dvd, radio and the like. now i have to ask who the hell has a $2000 dollar dinner service in a mobile home? as for the cops well they wanted him to take the mobile to them, but where its parked 2 or 3 car carriers were broken into ,the keys to the cars on board taken, the prime movers damaged,about 20 hrs it took them i believe to get around to it. makes you wonder cheers ian

Scott nthQld
26-01-2008, 09:27 PM
There's one sure fire way to deter would be thieves...a BFD that is, A Big F'n Dog. I let my dogs roam free, and as long the utility blokes have a safe pass to the meters and people can get to your front door, no problem.... We've got him trained well though, if anyone but use tries to open the door he'll have a go at them. He even had cops bailed up one night because I was having a loud party (they only came to tell us to keep it down), but because we couldn't hear them knocking on the door, they decided they would just walk in...idiots, I don't care who you are if you're not invited into my home its trespass and anything that becomes of it you deserve. They tried to get the dog put down, but because they were entering without invitation AND I had a 'guard Dog' sign up, everything was dismissed and he still guards the house today.

trev1
09-03-2008, 11:26 AM
The onus used to be on the individual NOT to break the law wheras now it seems to be onthe individual to over protect against those who break the law. Police seem to be more centered on money making schemes than upholding the law (their directives from above anyway). As a white male taxpayer who does his best to live within moral and lawful guidelines I feel to be the most discriminated against single group of people in this society.
Sound familiar???

o bag
06-04-2008, 02:44 PM
cops are dogs, if they aint interested in helping they wont