PDA

View Full Version : 18.7m easyrider safe to tow?

fender22
16-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Going away on holidays from Brisbane to Yamba and would like to take my boat but just concerned with all our camping gear, 2 adults and 4 kids may be a bit of a strain. My boat is an 18.7ft Vickers easy rider, older style glass boat which I don't know how heavy it is but it is pretty solid, I'd estimate at least 1800kgs? I always make sure the boat is as light as and apart from bulky light items like pillows, quilts etc I don't load it with gear. I have a 98 Jackeroo V6 which itself will be laden with gear and I think the load rating is 2500kg. The tandem trailer is very good and brakes etc have all been done up recently so there are no issues there. I suppose my biggest concern is the range going from Byron to Ballina may be a haul! Any advice appreciated.

Noelm
16-01-2008, 02:21 PM
don't think it will be a high speed trip, but I guess it should be OK!

Chimo
16-01-2008, 03:11 PM
I guess you have had the tyres checked and the bearings ?

I got caught with my trailer tyres that I thought were fine ie lots of tread and they looked fine. Had to fit 4 newones as they had started to separate and this became very obvious when the trailer was taken for a moderate speed run (80Kph) on a flat road without the boat on to mask the bounce.

I dont think I would have gone very far down the highway before things got v messy.

Enjoy the hol and just take it easy and let the impatient b........s go past once in awhile which I guess you would do anyway.

Cheers
Chimo

seabug
16-01-2008, 03:13 PM
So long as you do not exceed Gross Combination Mass

Extra loading in the vehicle reduces towing allowance

Regards
seabug

SNAPPERCOFFIN
16-01-2008, 05:36 PM
Better allow another 500kg with all the extra cash you will need for fuel.

stevos
16-01-2008, 06:40 PM
You got my attention trying to work out how anyone coul tow an 18.7m boat!!

Best of luck - dont think you will have any problems