PDA

View Full Version : Garmin/lowarnce help

polky
16-01-2008, 12:38 PM
Fellas 2mths of Iam gunna buy Garmin, mate says get lowarnce, you can connect with suzie 70 df 2007 which I own, for fuel and motor info. Now not sure what to do. Fish depths from 22 - 50mtrs. I realy like the Garmin 525s Is lowerance the only gps to connect with suzie, or is they away to get same info using Garmin. I will be using fishon so maybe PP can give me some sound advice, I have a Garmin 340c sounder,would be hopping to use the transducer to connect up to the 525s if I go that way. I have $1500 to spend so would like help deciding which way to go. Polky.

Far side
16-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Mate the garmin will not give you the fuel consumption info like the lowrance
its nmea 2000 interface is very basic

honda900
18-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Polky,

NMEA2000 is a standard for device interconnections, what this means is if you have a device that is nmea compliant, then the device will advertise itself on the nmea network.

Once the device is able to be seen on the network then a display device will be able to query the advertising device to find out what information the device is capable of displaying.

In the instance of a fuel flow meter, it may have a configuration for the device such as fuel tank size, location. once the information for the device is configured you will then be able to display that information on your display device (sounder, chartplotter etc).

There are several requirements that need to be met on the network such as termination and power, just like a coaxial ethernet network.

So if your Garmin is nmea compliant and have the appropriate interface to connect to the network then you should be able to display all the available data from a device such as the suzuki ecu interface if you so desire.

The model you have quoted for your chartplotter does not have the nmea interface, what you should be looking for in the spec sheet of the garmin devices is;

NMEA input/output: NMEA 0183, NMEA 2000

This will also have a socket on the back of the unit for the NMEA network.

This model seems to have the goods GPSMAP® 4212.

I have a lowrance sounder and a gps172c, I installed and configured the Lowrance nmea network and have a ep-10 fuel flow meter installed and configured so I am able to see real time fuel consumption.

so you do not necessarily have to have a gps that is capable of displaying the information if you have another device on board that is capable of display the data.

Regards
Honda

Far side
18-01-2008, 07:37 PM
Honda your right about the lowrance it is a superb bit of kit for NMEA 2000 interface However the garmin will give you anywhere near what the lowrance will give you

The unit is severely lacking in fuel smarts on the Nmea2000 interface
http://www.panbo.com/archives/2007/06/garmin_nmea_2000_not_really.html (http://www.panbo.com/archives/2007/06/garmin_nmea_2000_not_really.html)

Check the link

Note the doco with the garmin says it can do a bunch of things but reality is something else
In my case I dont care because I have the SMIS gauges installed and get all of the fuel data I require Plus the Garmin has an awsome screen that you can see in any light with any type of polarised glasses

honda900
19-01-2008, 07:52 AM
Far side,

Yep I think the comment "how is garmin able to be nmea 2k certified if it doesnt have the full functionality" is the telling statement, the standard is there to ensure compatibility.

Polky,
I would want to see the whole network configured with devices on a bench before I handed over the dollars for it. However the GPS unit may be just fine as a standalone unit like mine, then maybe a sounder with a proper nmea interface. Having 2 devices will also give a level of security from a breakdown perspective.

The one thing I like about the garmin is Mapsource, you able to connect the unit to your pc, upload and download marks and waypoints for management of the data, extra cost but its worth the investment.

Regards
HOnda

polky
19-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Thanks heaps, Honda and Far side. Far side what are SMIS gauges. I guess I will have to rethink my plan, may have to purchase lowrance. I,am starting to head 60/70 nm off shore so fuel usage is important. Thanks Fellas Polky.

Far side
19-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Here is the link where i got mine

Also do a seach on nmea2000 on the forum there is heaps if good info

http://store.brownspoint.com/suzuki_page_31.asp