PDA

View Full Version : Wooli Bar crossing

reelemin1974
15-01-2008, 08:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13aR6IsflQI

bdowdy
16-01-2008, 10:28 AM
good stuff i was just getting told about this on the weekend by a mate (fez...browny) great footage, cheers and thanks for showing . bdowdy..brett

thelump
16-01-2008, 12:27 PM
i was there at xmas and wondered how they did it. Now I know. Not for the feint hearted.

mr_yamba
16-01-2008, 10:57 PM
used to do it fairly often in a 14ft centre console tinny with 40hp and 3 people when i was a teenager. had a few close calls, but my father would very rarely say no to crossing it.

fever
16-01-2008, 11:07 PM
That first bloke did a great job, he used some patience when he had a heap of waves staked up agianst him.

reelemin1974
17-01-2008, 06:33 AM
He actually looks like he reverses away from the wave at one point so as to avoid it as it's spilling over.

seamaid
17-01-2008, 09:38 PM
8-) 8-)
REELEMIN 1974
Mate that is awsome
Seamaid

Tetsuo
18-01-2008, 07:20 AM
Great video, thanks!

Unclefez
21-01-2008, 05:36 PM
Reelemin1974. Was talking to Dowdy (bdowdy) last weekend and told him about this video. These guys are mates of mine and I was fishing with them a few days before this at Wooli. Even the spear fisho's wouldn't go out and that's took the video. Wild stuff.

boodo
25-01-2008, 10:12 AM
Ballzy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ninja
31-01-2008, 11:04 PM
That first bloke did a great job, he used some patience when he had a heap of waves staked up agianst him.

It looked to me like the first guy doesn't know how to pick his sets to me. The other two watched for a while and had a good run;) .

larfin
03-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Mate he was sure keen to go fishing
cheers
greg

greenie.77
04-02-2008, 06:02 PM
that was boring as bat shit

wombat 100
04-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Greenie 77 I look forward to seeing your expert advice on Bar Crossings on this site sometime soon .

Pity more people don't put the time into producing "How to do it" videos , that way I may not need to put my neck or that of the SAR crew on the line next time one goes over on a bar or is swamped by the big ones adverse conditions.

I for one thought is was a good effort.

greenie.77
05-02-2008, 06:11 PM
my expert advice would not to be so stupid

Jabba_
17-04-2008, 02:53 PM
How big do you think those waves are.. Too me they look 4ft, 5ft max.... That 1.2m to 1.6m

Really, that is not a big day. But that's about as big as I would go when crossing a breaking bar...

Coontakinta
18-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Geez, is this what you east coaster have to put up with for a day out on the water? How often would you have to encounter that?

Sure makes me appreciate the ease of getting to our grounds here in SA's Gulfs

onerabbit
18-04-2008, 06:48 PM
If it was like that every day, we may change sports to jetskiing;D ;D ;D ,

thumbs up to the skippers on the day, sometimes you just have to cop what you have committed to, my personal record on Ballina bar :-[ :-[ is 4 arials, prop & all out of the water , in a row, not fun.

Depends how much you want to go some days.

Interesting that the ocean behind is flat.

Muzz

RAGINGBULL
19-04-2008, 05:48 PM
Its not how big the waves are, its how deep is the water under you.
If the water sucks out you are in it.
Some times you cannot judge the break especially in that light, and thats when you find yourself amongst it
When that happens every-one shuts up holds on and only experience and balls will get you out. as there is NO turning and running.

A LOT OF POWER BEHIND YOU HELPS SH*T LOADS

Love the adrenalin, when i was watch i could feel it, and when you get out and your legs are shaking thats a good sign.........................

Whoo hoo live life on the edge..

Cheers Mark

madmac
19-04-2008, 09:15 PM
excellent video, 1st guy got thrown sideways pretty bad

Dean1
19-04-2008, 09:42 PM
If the 1st guy would have swinged it to the right he would have missed the whole lot of the breakers. Watch the 2nd guy he was onto it, anyone who's riden jetskis etc would have picked it up. Why head straight into the middle of a breaking wave when you can easily go around it :-/ He made a hard job out of an easy one..

Pedro Jnr
20-04-2008, 08:13 PM
F*$% That!

gavsgonefishing
20-04-2008, 09:30 PM
I reckon the first guy made a bad call with the sets (most of us are human and make mistakes) then did his best to ride it through, and done a brilliant job. I bet the adrenalin was pumpin when he had to back up a bit then ride a couple more through

Coontakinta
21-04-2008, 04:17 PM
If the 1st guy would have swinged it to the right he would have missed the whole lot of the breakers. Watch the 2nd guy he was onto it, anyone who's riden jetskis etc would have picked it up. Why head straight into the middle of a breaking wave when you can easily go around it :-/ He made a hard job out of an easy one..

In no way a personal attack Dean, as I've perhaps elluded to here before, I'm no expert on bar crossings, but what u have to say is easily done from the vantage point of ones study or even from atop the rocks, but down there between sets with ya ring clenched tight and ya heart pounding at a million miles an hour, leaving u feeling like its gonna burst out of your chest, I doubt that anyone would have seen the easier way out

Dean1
24-04-2008, 08:14 PM
In no way a personal attack Dean, as I've perhaps elluded to here before, I'm no expert on bar crossings, but what u have to say is easily done from the vantage point of ones study or even from atop the rocks, but down there between sets with ya ring clenched tight and ya heart pounding at a million miles an hour, leaving u feeling like its gonna burst out of your chest, I doubt that anyone would have seen the easier way out I see your point and im no expert either but after riding jetskis for years in the surf and getting pounded, thrown off to the point you think your gonna drown or lose your ski, you soon learn how to read a wave i guess and work out how to get out of some very arkward positions. Its helped my boating skills, its suprising what you can get out of if you have a go and heaps of grunt ;D

blackjew
10-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Theres always got to be one tosser.
Great vid fellers cheers.

Dean1
12-07-2009, 08:28 AM
Ye I think I was a bit harsh on old mate. I had another look at that :-/ I hate bars at the best of times, hench why I try to stay away from them. You get pretty cocky on a jetski, my 60's on my boat aint a jetski ;D But I can say I had waves breaking over my canopy last weekend offshore I felt like a submarine :P

Fisherfriend
20-12-2020, 09:50 AM
Anyone here have any advice on how these fellas launch large fiberglass boats from the Wooli boat ramp. I have not been there but reading it seems to be a small ramp with no dock or pontoon. Must be a drive on drive off thing with passengers wadding out to the boat?