PDA

View Full Version : Richmond river fish kill.

reelemin1974
15-01-2008, 07:36 PM
I took some pics and made this movie. Just one little spot around the corner from me. The river needs to be closed to stop all the old guys 'Bagging out' at the mouth atm. The mentality of some???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NRvEmMdxvk

Archer
15-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Thats just truly sad! :(
Something needs to be done this time to stop it happening again!!!!
The people in the govt departments need to stop thinking about there back pockets and keeping the farmers happy and start thinking about the health of this once spectacular river system!
Dont care how much it costs or what it takes just farking do something this time! Other major river systems have floods without BIG fish kills so theres clearly something someone/people are doing thats got to be stoppped NOW.

poundalead
15-01-2008, 08:55 PM
What a shame, and the govt. wants to close Moreton Bay to rec. fishing, but allow this to happen. What a copout. Why can't farmers have sustainable farming practices where their pesticides etc. don't harm the immediate environment. I bet the govt. does nothing about this, a little clean up operation and that's it. You, the voter, voted that greenie Garett in lets hope that he has the balls to make a difference. Rudd keeps on getting on his high horse about making a difference lets see if it happens.

I feel sorry for the beautiful township of Ballina and their rec. and pro. fisherman hope it all turns out for the best.

Cobia Kid
16-01-2008, 08:40 AM
what if the river where damed.
would this make a difference??

reelemin1974
16-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Your damned if you do, your damned if you don't! sorry couldn't resist, But i guess, I don't know

themissus
16-01-2008, 12:47 PM
heartbreaking!

Timfishin4fun
16-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Top work bud. Nasty stuff to see but it brings back a reality to all about what does happen.

Tim

jbscafe
16-01-2008, 03:55 PM
Devastation, a part of our lives here on planet Earth, when will we ever learn?

I hope you sent a copy of this video to your local member of Parliment, it would be interesting to see if you get a reply.

reelemin1974
16-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Thanks jb, I might do that.

vinckies
18-01-2008, 07:58 PM
This is a eye opening video. I would say very well done to get such a dramatic thing across to people who don't understand how fragile some of our water systems are. It is such an unfortunate event, but such is life(apologize for the cliche which ben cousins has famously produced on his stomach).

I guess its the natural order of things. I mean bush fires are hell for animals, but certain plants and trees need to to "reproduce". Everything comes back stronger. My hope is that the richmond river does. I live in brisbane and have never fished the richmond but i just imagine what if it happened to my own watering hole(maroochy river). I would be spewing in better terms.

I would want the river closed for a while and monitored for a while to see how the fish stocks go for a while. I know i would stop fishing there for a while so my kids could fish there in years to come.

Much appreciated eye opener reelemin. Well done.

Vitamin Sea
19-01-2008, 10:42 AM
Very sad indeed Reelemin, have spent many holidays at Ballina bream fishing from the Sundowner, even spent 2 weeks of our honeymoon there.

Thanks for showing the effects of another man made disaster:(

Thanks

Bill

reelemin1974
19-01-2008, 05:38 PM
A few days later the catastrophe got even worse, I went to take pics of that the next day, but the council cleaned that up too quick.

They have the place cleaned up pretty quick, I'll give them that!!

onerabbit
19-01-2008, 06:30 PM
Great job reelemin, almost a tear jerker.

It's been terrible to see this happens to our river again, so sad to see so many fish taking their last breaths, & no way to help them.

Muzz

TonyM
19-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Must be tough for you guys down there seeing this in person - it's bad enough seeing it on video :( A friend down your way was telling me about it recently.

Great job on putting it together reelemin - Would be great for a miracle to happen and see a change to the way the catchment areas are cared for so this doesn't happen again!

Debbie and Rob
22-01-2008, 07:55 PM
Very very sad, mother nature has a funny way at doing things sometimes.

onerabbit
22-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Dont be fooled D & R,

this is not the work of Mother Nature,

Muzz

reelemin1974
22-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Very very sad, mother nature has a funny way at doing things sometimes.

onerabbitt is right, this is not mother nature, if you read a few disscussions on the 'general' board it will give you a bit of an insight as to what is causing this.

From what I have gathered, a lot of people want a 'witch hunt' with the cane farmers being the target, I however think you can't really blame them. If it were you and your life was supplying sugar cane, of course you don't want your crop flooded, you want to drain the water as fast as you can, that is your money in those feilds.

I think we need to look at a much higher (and I don't mean God) level to root out the start of the trouble.

But I am NO expert, I only know what I have heard around and read on here.

corby12
25-01-2008, 08:32 PM
onerabbitt is right, this is not mother nature, if you read a few disscussions on the 'general' board it will give you a bit of an insight as to what is causing this.

From what I have gathered, a lot of people want a 'witch hunt' with the cane farmers being the target, I however think you can't really blame them. If it were you and your life was supplying sugar cane, of course you don't want your crop flooded, you want to drain the water as fast as you can, that is your money in those feilds.

I think we need to look at a much higher (and I don't mean God) level to root out the start of the trouble.

But I am NO expert, I only know what I have heard around and read on here.

thats all fine to say and yes i understand what the cane farmers need to do for thier income , but instead of the low interest loans the gov are offering the farmers, why not pour that money into finding safer chemicals which wont harm this fantasic system we have here. I fish the richmond 3 to 4 times a week and release every fish caught so to look out my back window and see 30 tonne of dead fish washing up onto the banks over a few days is devistating.

BUT on a brighter not the river is starting to clean up and things are looking up

reelemin1974
25-01-2008, 10:11 PM
Is there a ban yet???

tracing em
26-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Sad scenes, beautiful sound track.

Tetsuo
02-02-2008, 09:41 AM
Great video. Thanks. I would have thought the mudcrabs would have been less affected but obviously nothing was spared. Shame