PDA

View Full Version : What make outboard?

boat boy
15-01-2008, 07:10 AM
Gday the Haines i was looking at got sold:'( but on the positive side I think i may keep my centre console for a while yet:) Its a good fishing boat and that is all I mainly do. I would like to upgrade the outboard It has a early model 60hp Yamaha enduro. Good motor but i would like ptt and electric start. So my question is should I stick with Yamaha or are there better outboards? I think i will buy new so am willing to look at any of the makes but i do like the Yamahas. Any advice would be appreciated.

Scott Ashe
15-01-2008, 08:22 AM
Hi Mate,

If I were you I'd probably stick with Yamaha, they have proven themselves over the years. Evinrude and Johnson have a good reputation for reliability too.

What I would do is compare the warranty avaliable. I'm not 100% sure but I think Yamaha may offer a three or four year warranty as standard practice now.

Hope this helps
Scott

Noelm
15-01-2008, 08:43 AM
almost all brands will serve you well, a lot will have "brand loyalty" and their Motor is the only one in the Universe, if you are happy with the Yamaha and the local Service guy is good, then stay with it.

DR
15-01-2008, 09:31 AM
i agree with noelm, get whatever you feel comfortable with, in this day & age they are all pretty much the same in reliability. you will read good & bad about all, so go with your preference in brand loyalty..

over the years i have had, an old Hanimex 7.5hp :P Evinrude 15hp, Mariner 15hp, Johnson 70hp & now a Mercury 40hp none ever let me down except the 'Rude & that was the mechanics fault for not fitting some seal properly when a rebuild was done, it makes an awful mess when water gets into a cylinder a piston hydraulics, blowing out the whole side of the head..:-/

Leighton
15-01-2008, 10:06 AM
Find a good dealer first and see what they have to offer. Its the dealer who services and carries out waranty issues. I think that is your biggest question. Like the lads said motors are much of a muchness

Noelm
15-01-2008, 10:32 AM
correct, the service guys can take away a lot of the pain if your new engine does have a drama, a bad dealer can make even a routine service seem like major surgery.

plaztix
15-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Find a good dealer first and see what they have to offer. Its the dealer who services and carries out waranty issues. I think that is your biggest question. Like the lads said motors are much of a muchness

Very good advise. Dealers attitude towards customer service is usually obvious from the minute you walk in. So go have a look/chat at your locals and see who genuinely seems to care.

Some seem to forget that the customer is why they are there.::)