PDA

View Full Version : 130hp honda ??

pursuit001
14-01-2008, 09:16 PM
hi all im about to purchase a 130hp honda any idea on service costs and any idea of known faults on these motors any info would be great
cheers

sid_fishes
14-01-2008, 10:27 PM
have a chat to garry [spainard king]spelling. hes is the honda guru. and a damn nice bloke to. sid

pursuit001
16-01-2008, 06:07 AM
hi guys need some info some one has gotta own a 130 honda?
cheers shane

Coontakinta
16-01-2008, 07:38 AM
Shane, here in Adelaide my m8's honda sets him back around $400 annually for the servicing. He has no complaints about his honda. Only problem he has with his is a tendancy to blow fuses in the motor. Most time he finds out at the ramp but has had the misfortune to have it happen to him some distance offshore. Whether this is a wiring problem in the donk or in the set up of the unit as a whole is anyones guess as he has not yet been able to pinpoint the problem, neither can honda. Not sure of fuel consumption fiqures but WOT speed is 42mph from memory.

Anyway best of luck with the new rig. Am sure your gonna love it.

Hey, and let us know how it performs with the motor be interested to hear if you experience similar problems with hole shot as to those of my m8;)

bugman
16-01-2008, 01:39 PM
Shane,

I had an early 90's Honda 130. I could never fault it. It went on to be owned by member here Dean1. Not sure he had too many problems eaither. I put over 300 hours on it in 6 months after buying it second hand.

Servicing can be expensive (relatively) depending on who you use. There are a few mobile guys around now that don't have the overheads and are very good. Try to find one. As the boys mentioned Spaniard King (Gary) a member here is very good.

I don't have any bad things to say about them.

Brett

Spaniard_King
16-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Shane,

The 130 is a solid robust engine, no known continuing problems. Servicing cost can vary depending on the dealer.. where are you and who would you use for service. The problem with changing service places is the new people dont have the history of the engine and must start from scratch. On that 130 there are parts which need changing every 100 and some every 400.. if the dealer dosnt know thw engine he "should" do a 400 sevice then revert back to the 100's for the next few.

As far as the honda blowing fuses.. this is a rare occurence which I have been through on a 225 and found it to be how the electrics were wired off the ignition switch. I bvet when it blows the fuse the engine is dead??..which means the control power to the control box/gauges/ anything else that the sparky has wired into the circuit...also found that a radio/CD players were prone to being wired into the ignition circuit.. bad practice really.

pursuit001
16-01-2008, 04:10 PM
hi guys thanks for your replys coontakinta will let you know hopefully its right though or thats more money its only done 4.3 hours so wont be needing its first service just yet
cheers shane

Dean1
16-01-2008, 08:51 PM
Hi Shane, i bought bretts boat as he mentioned. I had no dramas with the 130, i found it very reliable and fuel efficient even though it was slightly underpowered. It pushed a 6.5m platey full of gear 4 blokes no wories and never let me down. The only thing i didnt like was the rust forming on the main support thingy. Hey brett late 90's it was mate not early 90's ;D 98 model. I got a pretty major service done by a mobile guy and by memory it was about $380. I lost the invoice. Now i have twin motors that bill is gonna hurt :o

Coontakinta
17-01-2008, 08:52 AM
Shane,

As far as the honda blowing fuses.. this is a rare occurence which I have been through on a 225 and found it to be how the electrics were wired off the ignition switch. I bvet when it blows the fuse the engine is dead??..which means the control power to the control box/gauges/ anything else that the sparky has wired into the circuit...also found that a radio/CD players were prone to being wired into the ignition circuit.. bad practice really.

SK, thanks for the advice, will pass on to my m8. Confirms what we have both believed all along poorly set up wiring from the day it was all put together.

pursuit001
17-01-2008, 05:14 PM
hi dean1 thanks for the info i think i saw your donk advertised on here correct? looked a nice clean motor that seems preetty cheap for a four banger so all is good is it first ten hours or is it twenty hours on the hondas?
cheers shane

Dean1
17-01-2008, 06:45 PM
hi dean1 thanks for the info i think i saw your donk advertised on here correct? looked a nice clean motor that seems preetty cheap for a four banger so all is good is it first ten hours or is it twenty hours on the hondas?
cheers shane No Shane that wasnt my 130 for sale, i onsold the 130 i had on the boat (lightning) about 6 months ago, it had about 470 hrs on it when i sold the boat. As for your 1st 10 or 20 hrs question, do you mean service from new?? Cheers Deano.

pursuit001
18-01-2008, 06:14 AM
hi dean1 yeah mine is a 06 model and only done 4 hours so is it ten hours for first service or is it 20 hours
cheers shane

Broomey
18-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Hi Pursuit 001, think you'll find first sevice is 20 hrs, an 06 model with only 4 hrs??? :o

Broomey

bugman
18-01-2008, 06:13 PM
Yeah sorry Dean. 98 it was.

The boat was early 90s but she had been repowered - Senility is a bitch for me:P

Even on the big Lightening she was on (it was underpowered) she was still fuel effecient.

Brett