PDA

View Full Version : info on northbank glass boats???

pursuit001
14-01-2008, 06:44 PM
hi im looking at buying a used second hand boat ive never heard of the brand before its a 5.4 metre cuddy cabin with a 130hp honda four stroke its called a north bank and there built in adelaide just curious to know and here any comments on performence as well as ride as they appear a good looking rig
cheers

FNQCairns
14-01-2008, 06:52 PM
One of the best riding boats around due for 2 reasons mainly one is they have a well designed more or less traditional style of hull and two they are built with lots of glass, don't think you will find a bad word about them, at least I have yet to hear anything but praise but have only seen 1, never ridden in one.

cheers fnq

pursuit001
14-01-2008, 07:02 PM
thanks for your reply fnq they sure look a surperb boat im almost certain ill snap it up at the price i can get it for look forward to more replys
cheers

Chimo
14-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Their hull looks like a Seafarer without the strake development but should go ok

Chimo

Chimo
14-01-2008, 07:21 PM
Their hull looks like a Seafarer without the strake development but should go ok;)

Chimo

Coontakinta
15-01-2008, 12:29 PM
Pursuit, as an Adelaide boy and one who has riden in both the 540C and its younger sister the 490C let me say....I doubt you'll be disappointed! However, with the big honda on the back expect some hole shot problems.

I have a friend with an identical set up. He has since added a fin to the motor and reckons this has fixed the problem, but I'm not so sure and like others question the need for a fin as opposed to fixing the problem. Anyway, whilst they do have some quality issues overall they are a well built boat with fantastic handling characteristics. For a heavy boat, which they are, they require little in the way of horsepower with most here being powered by 115's The honda is at its rated limit and is no light weight when compared to the weights of the various 115's i've seen them with and this in my view is the problem with hole shot. Perhaps a 4 blade will assist with this. I'm not sure.

Where are you located? I wonder how our conditions compare to those found in your part of the country? We have to contend with a short but sharp chop in the afternoons as the seabreaze hits our coast line. This can make for a hard ride in lesser hulls but the Northbank (also found as a Sportscraft 185 Walk-Thru) provides a smooth ride in these conditions.

The quality issues I mention are probably VERY isolated however they are there. Those that I have experience personally are a bubbled gelcoat on the bow sprit of the 490C and my m8 had one of his corner bait tanks simply fall out and a split in the floor all items were fixed under warranty but it has left a sour taste in his mouth and me (privately) asking if this is not as a result of the heavy motor. Perhaps there is more being done than simply a cracked / split floor???? I may be way off the mark here but just my thinking. There are plenty of various ages in our boat club so this must say something about their pedigree.

How much is the asking price? Over here .....when they are available.....they go for around the mid 30;s depending on age and hours with some being picked up for high 20's these usually are the first crop that were built by Jaan prior to going over to the current owners of the brand........ Christies Beach Marine. A search of their web site will give you the lowdown on the specifications.

M8, I hope this info is of some help to and if I can help you with anymore info just ask.

pursuit001
15-01-2008, 04:04 PM
hi there mate thanks heaps for the info ive looked at there site and preetty inpressed with the 21 degree transom and ive also had a few other good comments on the ride we also get the after noon chop up here in qld the boat is a 05 motor 06 with only six hours the boat has all the gear sounders gps etc they are asking $37000 i went back today and am buying the boat
cheers

FNQCairns
15-01-2008, 04:31 PM
Half your luck ..enjoy!!!

Coontakinta
15-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Reckon, you'll be on a winner m8. $37K sounds good with plenty of fruit. Enjoy it !

Thought I'd add some pics of my m8's boat out front of mum & dads place

pursuit001
15-01-2008, 07:21 PM
thanks mate . cant wait ill try uploading a few pictures of her once ive picked her up so yous can take a look.;D

pursuit001
16-01-2008, 05:18 PM
thanks mate that looks a top rig like the blue top mines completly white and minus the rocket launchers but give me a few days and ill have a set swingin off the back for sure
cheers shane

Coontakinta
17-01-2008, 08:36 AM
Yeh with the stainless rocket launcher and bow rails along with the clears and bimini it sure looks a different boat. really sets them off I reckon.

pursuit001
17-01-2008, 05:10 PM
yeah mate not wrong mine has all the clears front clear and rear storm cover just not the launchers any idea on what he paid for his new ?
cheers shane

pursuit001
20-01-2008, 03:44 PM
hi all this thread is now closed sale fell through and i have ended up with the photo in my avatar cheers for all the info guys
shane

julian1
20-01-2008, 07:08 PM
my mate has one with a 140 Suzuki, they look well built but it didn't ride as well as i thought it would. nice and stable though. it went well with the 140 though

Coontakinta
21-01-2008, 08:09 AM
yeah mate not wrong mine has all the clears front clear and rear storm cover just not the launchers any idea on what he paid for his new ?
cheers shane

Around the mid 40's.

hi all this thread is now closed sale fell through and i have ended up with the photo in my avatar cheers for all the info guys

What happened Shane? Big difference btween this and that? Especially in the ride!

pursuit001
21-01-2008, 04:29 PM
mate all came down to no storage and ended i was a few k short so just settled with the side console still a great boat and easy enuff to take to morten etc
cheers shane

cooky
18-02-2009, 11:17 AM
I'm considering selling mine again. marriage breakdown. Hasn't been in water for almost 2 years. it's an 01 model - same hull as the current. has 115 merc with under 300 hrs. sounder, gps. should still be photos, etc on this site somewhere.
I don't want to sell, but I can't see me using it for another 6 to 12 months the way things are going. money might be handy. not sure value, but possibly around the $20 - $25,000. Guess you could sell the merc and buy a brand new 4stroke for those dollars and still be way ahead.