PDA

View Full Version : Max. boat loading?

Chris82
14-01-2008, 05:17 PM
I am looking at purchasing my first boat and noticed on the manufactures plate it says max. 5 people. Just wondering if anyone out there knows if this is a legal limit in tassie or could you take 6 depending on weather???thanks

finga
14-01-2008, 05:41 PM
max number of people but some kiddies count for 1/2 sometimes.
These recommendations are usually for smooth water only.
If it says 5 then IMO that's max. that I'd be bunging in. But that's me.

Poodroo
14-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Having just purchased a new boat I have just been through all of this. Mine is allowed a maximum amount of 4 adults in smooth water only. Smaller children count as 1/2 an adult so under the legislation here in Qld I should be able to carry two adults and three pint sizes in smooth waters with no worries at all although that will not happen because I only have enough safety jackets for two adults and 2 children. The Queensland Transport department has a website where you can also order capacity labels online for your boat which may not be a requirement in Tassie but here is the website anyhow.
http://www.support.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/eForms.nsf/CapacityLabelsOrderForm

Poodroo

rodnreal
14-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Tassie Hey, plenty of Jokes there but will leave it. Number on plate means adults. 70kg plus body weight = adult.

Enjoy the boat Chris the family will love it.

Simmo2
14-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Hey Chris, I am not sure about down there, but up here the lifejackets have to suit the wearer...
Same as if like Poodroo says, 2 adult jackets, 2 kids jackets means 3 adults cant be on board.... or all adult jackets, no kids on board.

Chris82
14-01-2008, 09:38 PM
So providing i have the correct fitting life jackets it would be legal to carry 6 people, is that correct?

Simmo2
14-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Errrm someone help me here!!!!

3 'normal' adults, 3 'normal' kids, seems to me in the QLD regs to be ok....

However, you are the skipper, be it a canoe, tinny or 80 footer...you are responsible, so do what you see fit, hopefully within the regulations. If you have bent the rules, and things go wrong...... you will never live it down. Ever.

mik01
14-01-2008, 10:08 PM
So providing i have the correct fitting life jackets it would be legal to carry 6 people, is that correct?

no.
if your boat is rated to 5 then that means MAX 5 adult persons.
if someone dies (god forbid) you would be in a heap of trouble if you overloaded the boat. plus your insurance would be void in case of accident or injury etc.

5 means 5. smaller children count for half, but as said earlier this maximum is only really in smooth water. you should reduce the people on board the rougher the water gets

edit - sorry, if by 6 'people' you mean adults AND small children (half each) then technically you MAY be ok but common sense tells me that it would be very dodgy. maybe across a lake or something?

VaSyd1
14-01-2008, 11:03 PM
The maximum boat loading is determined by the manufacturer of the boat and depends on a number of factors. The link below explains the ins and outs of the mandatory ABP (Australian Builder's Plate) which states the boat capacity in max no of persons and weight.

http://www.nmsc.gov.au/documents/ABPTargetsBoating.pdf

This site may also prove helpful

http://www.nmsc.gov.au/index.htm

Cheers
Vince

Far side
15-01-2008, 06:12 AM
All good advice
I thought the loading was based on weight not on No of persons
If you have 5 heavy people on board then you may be exceeding the maximum loading
You also need to take into account the gear you have on board this could push you down by a person