PDA

View Full Version : new windscreen help

mik01
14-01-2008, 03:45 PM
Hi guys,

if you have been around here for a little while, you will know I modified my windscreen to fold down to fit in the garage. it works good, but the plan was always to replace the whole lot hopefully with lighter material.

as it is the original 1988 screen, it is really heavy and I'm not sure if this is because of the type of perspex? I'm pretty sure the channel is ally so can't really make that any lighter.

so.... I need to source new ally channel and perspex but not sure where to go and what type of material to use for this? from getting on other more modern boats that have fold out windscreens, they are quite light to open.

what material should I use and where do I source the gear? (especially the aluminium channel - where do you get this from?).

lastly, how difficult is it to cut perspex?

cheers,
Mick

rodnreal
14-01-2008, 06:49 PM
Hey Mick,
Try Capral they are an Aluminum supplier they have a lot of different aluminum profiles, I am sure they should have something that will suit your need.

http://www.capral.com.au/_contact_us/

deadbeatloser
14-01-2008, 06:59 PM
maybe you could go topless as i have, the air con works better that way;D
yellow pages suss out that mob at redcliffe a.m.p. or something like that they are biggest boat screen manufacturers in aus you could steal an idea or two
beers DBL

mik01
14-01-2008, 07:09 PM
maybe you could go topless as i have, the air con works better that way;D
yellow pages suss out that mob at redcliffe a.m.p. or something like that they are biggest boat screen manufacturers in aus you could steal an idea or two
beers DBL

hahaha - good one! at least that would solve getting the boat in the garage!

yeah I rang these guys and another and was looking at over $600 just for the screen not including any changes to make it fold down..:o

what about cutting perspex guys? can i just use my circular saw with a new blade? anyone had any experience fabricating their own windscreen?

rodnreal
14-01-2008, 07:50 PM
Don't use circular saw you will melt the stuff, use a jigsaw with fine blade, stick masking tape down in the area where you are cutting this will stop you from scratching the perspex. After cutting tidy the cut up with a file.

BILLY THE KID
14-01-2008, 08:54 PM
hahaha - good one! at least that would solve getting the boat in the garage!

yeah I rang these guys and another and was looking at over $600 just for the screen not including any changes to make it fold down..:o

what about cutting perspex guys? can i just use my circular saw with a new blade? anyone had any experience fabricating their own windscreen?

there is a persplex/glass place in smith street in capalaba. they have a table saw to cut all there perspex . not sure of their name but they are near the bend on smith street if ya heading from doug barton end towards redlands 4wd. they are in a cul de sac on the right

mik01
14-01-2008, 08:58 PM
there is a persplex/glass place in smith street in capalaba. they have a table saw to cut all there perspex . not sure of their name but they are near the bend on smith street if ya heading from doug barton end towards redlands 4wd. they are in a cul de sac on the right

thanks mate - exactly what I was after. so maybe I can buy it pre-cut and save myself the hassle?
that would be my preference.
just have to chase up capral for the channels

mickc
15-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Mick

Go and see Paul at sailfish marine at unit 17 136 Ingleston rd Wakerly He does windscreens and hatches I found his prices reasonable and he's helpfull. He did a new screen and a few other jobs for me about 18 mths back.

Mick

Vitamin Sea
15-01-2008, 07:47 PM
thanks mate - exactly what I was after. so maybe I can buy it pre-cut and save myself the hassle?
that would be my preference.
just have to chase up capral for the channels

Mick,

Industrial Plastics at Morningside could do the screen. 33996888

Got mine done a while ago ( 27/07/03 how time flies!) for $82.80 inclusive, cut and routered to size.

As far as your surround goes, IF you need a new one, try Capral or similar, as others have mentioned.

If yours is ok, could get it sandblasted and re-powdercoated

Cheers

Bill

mik01
15-01-2008, 08:10 PM
thanks again guys - definitely need a new surround unfortunately. it uses screws in each corner to hold it together and the channels that the screws go into are corroded and the screws no longer hold.

cheers for the tips - will start shopping around for the best option.

Vitamin Sea
15-01-2008, 08:40 PM
[what about cutting perspex guys? can i just use my circular saw with a new blade? anyone had any experience fabricating their own windscreen?[/quote]

Mick

Cutting perspex is no problem at all, yes, sharp blade and perhaps a bit of masking tape to help minimise the break out, but really, no problem.

To melt it it would have to be a very blunt blade and taking your time doing it.

Regards

Bill

mik01
15-01-2008, 08:53 PM
cheers Bill - I reckon I'm much safer to pay someone to cut them to size. it would be all too easy for me to stuff it up completely!

plaztix
15-01-2008, 10:29 PM
To give you a bit more choice while shopping around. Any sign fabricators will be able to supply and cut perspex and polycarbonate to shape.