PDA

View Full Version : Etec 90hp Or 115hp

ON-THE-CHEW
14-01-2008, 10:18 AM
I have not long ago just ordered a 5.5m Galeforce. Tony the owner has recomended to get a 90HP Etec, he believes the extra speed etc you would get out of the 115HP isn't fully useable unless the weather is really good. He advised saving the $3000 extra it would cost and spend it on things you would use all o the time like getting a better sounder gps etc. Also the added bonus the 90HP will also have better fuel economy, I agreed it sounded like the better idea, but I was just after any one elses opinion.

By the way it is a fibre glass centre console, for any one who hadn't heard of them.

Andrew

FNQCairns
14-01-2008, 10:31 AM
Would the 115hp allow you to run an extra inch pitch?, 5.5 glass is getting heavy, does the 115 stand alone from the 90hp? ie not an uprated 90hp with no more CC or Cylinders?.

pretty much if you answer yes to any of the above consider the 115hp if you can - I think certainly I would.

Still 90% of the time you will not use the extra top speed even if you wanted to, but at all times the opportunity to use the extra cruise speed the 115 will give (if yes to above) will be priceless:)

cheers fnq

LINZ_74
14-01-2008, 10:39 AM
Hi Andrew

I have the 115 e-tec on my tinnie which weighs in at 540kg for the hull weight and i nearly opted for the 90 but glad i went the 115 instead. Top speed i get out of mine is 64 kp/h with this hull weight plus added weight of eskies and people

disorderly
14-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Would the 115hp allow you to run an extra inch pitch?, 5.5 glass is getting heavy, does the 115 stand alone from the 90hp? ie not an uprated 90hp with no more CC or Cylinders?.

pretty much if you answer yes to any of the above consider the 115hp if you can - I think certainly I would.

Still 90% of the time you will not use the extra top speed even if you wanted to, but at all times the opportunity to use the extra cruise speed the 115 will give (if yes to above) will be priceless:)

cheers fnq

the 115 is a V4 motor whereas the 90 is an inline 3.
I agree with fnq...If you have the money go the 115 for sure.

scott

sea raider
14-01-2008, 12:39 PM
And don't, whatever you do listen to all the narrow-minded, opinionated, partisan and blinkered opinions of the 4 banger brigade.

disorderly
14-01-2008, 12:51 PM
And don't, whatever you do listen to all the narrow-minded, opinionated, partisan and blinkered opinions of the 4 banger brigade.

LOL ....

In particular watch out for those suzuki owners.....they remind me of the Moonies...they would say anything to recruit you.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gif

Chimo
14-01-2008, 01:20 PM
The V 4 115 is a bullet proof motor with all the bugs sorted as they are very similar to the old V4 but with DI instead of the carbs.

My tech tell me he luvs the V 4 cause they are so good

The 75 and the 90 are the same 3 cylinder block, good motors but the extra grunt in the 115 will probably mean that with good proping it will be more economical than the 90.

Definitely go the 115

Chimo

LINZ_74
14-01-2008, 02:02 PM
A very silky smooth engine only have to touch the key and it starts, never need choke either.
I have a VIPER stainless prop on mine but not sure if it is 19 or 21 pitch, but is well suited to the outboard for both accelaration and top end speed

KAGEY1
14-01-2008, 05:02 PM
Go The 115. My Formosa Flys With It On The Back And Fully Loaded. The 90 Imo Would Be A Bit Sluggish. I Run A 17in Pitch Prop And Get 38kts Out Of It With 4 People, 150l Fuel And All The Gear.

Searaider, Good To Hear You Again Geoff. Been A Long Time.

Cheers, Geoff

LINZ_74
14-01-2008, 05:09 PM
KAGEY1 what kind of prop are you running on yours

Grey-Ghost
14-01-2008, 05:42 PM
go the 115 friend had the 90 he wish he had put on the bigger one

cheers

sea raider
14-01-2008, 05:43 PM
Go The 115. My Formosa Flys With It On The Back And Fully Loaded. The 90 Imo Would Be A Bit Sluggish. I Run A 17in Pitch Prop And Get 38kts Out Of It With 4 People, 150l Fuel And All The Gear.

Cheers, Geoff

Yeah, sorry guys, I've been away oversees and interstate but am now back.

Cheers

Geoff

pursuit001
14-01-2008, 06:17 PM
i also own a etec i have the 60 bloody great motor wouldn own anythink else great on fuel great hole shot speeds and quiet as i done 80km and used 20 litre of fuel with 4 on board and all our gear my self id be goin the 115 also as the other guys said better fuel etc
cheers

deadbeatloser
14-01-2008, 06:38 PM
as said before if you have the coin get the 115
i have 90 on 17ft cruise 4000rpm 26knts 5300rpm wot 35knts.
2.4ks to the litre
beers DBL;D

ON-THE-CHEW
14-01-2008, 06:47 PM
The galeforce 5.5mtr weighs about 600kg, I have already gone every option basically tony puts on the boat. The extra money would be pushing it a bit, the only thing I dont want to get a couple of years down the track and absolutely love the boat but wish I had got the bigger motor. Just an extra $3000 is a lot of money on top of everything else.

Andrew

PS. Thanks everyone for your help, I don't know what to do. If I had the money it would be easy.

LINZ_74
14-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Mate the final decision is ultimatetly yours with what you can afford. Hope your'e happy in what ever decision you go with, both are good motors no matter what

FNQCairns
14-01-2008, 07:00 PM
The galeforce 5.5mtr weighs about 600kg, I have already gone every option basically tony puts on the boat. The extra money would be pushing it a bit, the only thing I dont want to get a couple of years down the track and absolutely love the boat but wish I had got the bigger motor. Just an extra $3000 is a lot of money on top of everything else.

Andrew

PS. Thanks everyone for your help, I don't know what to do. If I had the money it would be easy.

Hey Andrew the galeforce is more or less a hull design from the 80s below the waterline (from what I have seen, thats why it is so nice on the water!)- from what I have read above from the blokes here you really do need the 115 to top it all off.

Suspect you will be wishing you did after a month or so. That said the 115 will get you nowhere thew 90 will not either and is 'adequate' which is a good word for it I guess. My boats engine is 'adequate' also and I am not unhappy with it.

cheers fnq

leezor
14-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Hi Andrew, my old man has a 5.75 Platey with a 90hp on it, and he always complaining to me that it's under powered. The days when the weather is perfect and she is loaded up you will be itching for that extra performance. As rule, I will always try to power my boats with the maximum HP recommended by the manufacturer.
Thats the beauty of these forums, you have all the knowledge on tap from members who have been there before and wished they had done things differently from the start.

Good luck.

tin can marlin
14-01-2008, 09:52 PM
HI iam new to all of this and i have seen the etec dvd and i must say that it looked like a great product but then my friend next door to me said that the yamaha motors are the toyota of outboards and he would not buy anything else. Who do you believe.

deadbeatloser
15-01-2008, 07:46 AM
HI iam new to all of this and i have seen the etec dvd and i must say that it looked like a great product but then my friend next door to me said that the yamaha motors are the toyota of outboards and he would not buy anything else. Who do you believe.

that dvd is utter shite..... i hav an etec...
and your mate is to(full of it)
beers DBL::)

sea raider
15-01-2008, 08:52 AM
Hi Andrew, my old man has a 5.75 Platey with a 90hp on it, and he always complaining to me that it's under powered. The days when the weather is perfect and she is loaded up you will be itching for that extra performance. As rule, I will always try to power my boats with the maximum HP recommended by the manufacturer.
Thats the beauty of these forums, you have all the knowledge on tap from members who have been there before and wished they had done things differently from the start.

Good luck.

Hi Leezor,

Is your old man's motor set at the right height?

I had the same problem with my 90 E-Tec. It had no power and the holeshot was crap and the boat would take ages to get up on the plane. When I mentioned it to my local dealer he suspected that it was installed incorrectly. He lifted the motor up and it has been a different thing ever since.

I'm not saying that that is the problem with your old man's but it's a possibility.

Cheers

Geoff

KAGEY1
15-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Andrew, I Run The Standard Stainless 17in Prop The 115 Comes With.
After A Few Tests, Me And The Dealer Came Back To That Pitch. It Is The Best Compromise Overall For What I Do. We Dive As Well And With 4 Blokes And Gear, She Gets Heavy. I Am Glad I Spent The Extra. Come To Think Of It, It Only Cost Me A Bit Over 2k Extra From Memory. Hit Ya Dealer Up For A Better Price!! Ps, The I-command Guages Are Also Standard And Are Good For Working Out Economy, Range Etc.
Cheers, Geoff

deadbeatloser
15-01-2008, 02:34 PM
prices quoted in latest F&B mag
90 $12875
115 $15569
freight cost will vary on your dealers location............
beers DBL;D

leezor
15-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Hi Leezor,

Is your old man's motor set at the right height?

I had the same problem with my 90 E-Tec. It had no power and the holeshot was crap and the boat would take ages to get up on the plane. When I mentioned it to my local dealer he suspected that it was installed incorrectly. He lifted the motor up and it has been a different thing ever since.

I'm not saying that that is the problem with your old man's but it's a possibility.

Cheers

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

The old man has a 90hp Honda not an E-tec on his Platey. Not sure how it is setup will ask when I talk to him next. He was advised by the local Honda dealer to try a different prop, but I don't think he has tried it yet. It is quite a big boat for the 90, a 115 would have been a better choice in my opinion.

Cheers, Lee

Wahoo
15-01-2008, 06:43 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/4xgold0/fonz.gif

leezor
15-01-2008, 06:53 PM
^^^^^^^^^classic^^^^^^^^^

Oog.
15-01-2008, 08:01 PM
Thanks wahoo, that is the best laugh i have ever had on this site

Oog.
15-01-2008, 08:18 PM
LOL ....

In particular watch out for those suzuki owners.....they remind me of the Moonies...they would say anything to recruit you.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gif
Maybe they should build a BIG lake down at Bathurst and have a Suzi vs Etec flat out endurance race and see who comes out grinning?
Just a thought
By the way, I own Holdens & Fords

notsa
15-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Some people are not much help mate they tend to get off the subject. I have a 5.2 cc formosa with a 90 e-tec and it will do 60 klh. I would go with a 115 hp .

ON-THE-CHEW
15-01-2008, 10:21 PM
It looks like in everyone's opinion the 115hp is the go, will just have to try and sort out the extra money some how. Maybe put off some of the other extras that could maybe fitted at a later date so that I can afford it. What will the fuel economy be like between the two going from a 3cylinder to a 4.

Andrew

deadbeatloser
16-01-2008, 08:25 AM
you will not be any worse off for economy having the v4
i would say that you will actually be better off with the 115 as it wont be gettn as much of a flogging as the 90 and your cruising revs will be lower hence the fuel savings will be noticeable.......
beers DBL:)

sea raider
16-01-2008, 09:17 AM
Wahoo,

Thanks for the self portrait, I'll keep an eye out for you in Cairns. You look familiar, I'm sure Iv'e seen you somewhere.

Cheers

Geoff

P.S. Dont you get all hot and sweaty up here with that leather jacket on.

KAGEY1
16-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Andrew, I Get Around 2km/l At 4800rpm Travelling At 23kts Loaded Up.
The Motor Is Purring At Those Revs, And If You Need To Fang It, It Will Sit You On Your Bum Real Quick.
Only Around 30 Hrs On Motor Yet. Still Improving.
Cheers, Geoff

fishing111
16-01-2008, 09:58 AM

Cheers, Geoff

Kagey, it must well and truely bloody take off from 4800 RPM (23kts) to MAX rev's to get to 38 kts:D
What does yours wind out to?

KAGEY1
16-01-2008, 10:15 AM
Paul, By The Gps, 38.3kts. Tried To Take A Pic Of It But It Was A Bit Bouncy Trying To Drive And Hold The Phone! Haven't Had It In Dead Calm Water Yet. Peaks At 5800 Rpm. Still Playing With The Trim Though.
Cheers, Geoff

fishing111
16-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Don't blame you for not getting a photo, it would be a real hang on job in anything less than mill pond conditions, especially with the weather of late. Pushing close to 40 knots is really hiking, got to be happy with that:D

KAGEY1
17-01-2008, 04:31 PM
So What's Happened? Will It Be The 90 Or The 115??
Cheers, Geoff

ON-THE-CHEW
17-01-2008, 06:09 PM
First up I would like to thank everyone for your opinions, I have decided to go with the 115HP. I have put back some other things on the boat that can be done later, so I could afford the bigger motor. The motor cant be changed later (can but very expensive) but other mods can. Will just have to check with the boat builder with his price compared to dealers.

Andrew

KAGEY1
18-01-2008, 08:44 AM
keep us posted on the progress mate.
geoff

LINZ_74
18-01-2008, 01:02 PM
Andrew, you will not be dissappointed in the 115
cheers
Linz

ON-THE-CHEW
21-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Have just ordered the 115Hp Etec off tony, in the white. Cant wait now, have had to put some other things back to getting fitted once I have had it a couple of months. Just cant wait to get it, this style of boat is going to open up so many different styles of fishing than my current half cabin.

Andrew

LINZ_74
21-01-2008, 12:06 PM
Good onya mate
i have just recently gone to a centre console as well and definately made my fishing adventures so much better after coming from using a bowrider.

Lindsay