PDA

View Full Version : DIY Servicing for 2 stroke outboard

NormC
13-01-2008, 02:35 PM
In March, I'm heading up to the Gulf (NT side) and hope to spend about 4 to 6 months camping and fishing.
I have a Quintrex Dart 3.75m (carried on top of Hilux) and Yamaha 20 HP 2 stroke. I'll get the motor serviced before I go. It will be the first service (20 hr) as I've just upgraded from a smaller boat and motor.

I expect that the motor will get over 200 (possibly over 300) hours of use on the trip, so it will need service while away. The nearest service agent is likely to be over 750 KM from where we will spend most of our time, so going there for service is out of the question.

I'm looking for info on basic servicing I can and should do while away. I'll carry a couple of sets of spark plugs. What else should I carry and what servicing should I do? Although I'm pretty handy with most things, I know bugger all about 2 stroke motors.

Although the motor will be used in salt water, our most used camp site is about 30KM upstream from a river mouth, so it gets a run in lightly salty water on the way home. Early in the trip, the water at the camp site is near fresh (river is still running after wet season), but becomes more salty later in the year when the run off stops. On previous trips to the area (6 weeks duration), I have not flushed the motor for the duration. Just gave it a flush prior to pack up for the trip home. Is this reasonable for a longer time (4 to 6 months)?

While I'm at it, I also have a Minn Kota bow mount 55lb trolling motor. I don't anticipate needing to carry spares for this, other than in line fuse I have between battery and motor. That sound right?

Thanks in anticipation guys. For a trip of this duration to a remote area, I need to get the planning right.

Norm C

FNQCairns
13-01-2008, 02:48 PM
I can only talk from my experience and what would bother me or I would choose to do so as long as you get the leg oil changed before the trip and a few spare plugs the engine will do it standing on it's head, the salt water thing is a bit of a red herring overall, I would try to tip a bucket of fresh water over the engine every now and then when the opportunity presented.

A person wouldn't expect any loss of service life as a result of your trip, one thing though a grease gun with waterproof grease for the outboards nipples would be a good inclusion for use once a month use, grease and gunk is often your friend on outboards.

As best you can in light of all the dust try and keep the powerhead and any steel bits and pieces well covered in lanox etc, it's sticky stuff but gee it works well.

have fun fnq

Blackened
13-01-2008, 02:55 PM
G'day

Pretty much as what FNQ said.... with light to the following.

A spare impellor kit will be handy, and learn how to do one before you go... imagine a failure and rendering the outboard useless whilst in a remote area?

Spare plugs, gear oil, fuel filters, suitable grease and prop.

As for the electric, is a spare prop viable for it as well?

Dave

pickers
13-01-2008, 05:16 PM
the other guys have covered just about everything but a spare prop or 2 and shear pins/split pins , if your motor is a pull start your miles ahead of anything with a key ignition , less to go wrong.
worked with dory's years ago reef fishing out of mackay and if your motors new then you should have no trouble with them but still be prepared for the worst.....paddles/oars.
have fun
pickers

NormC
13-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. Some good ideas there. I thought I'd have to do a 'full service' during the time away, but perhaps not.

I guess some people go years between service on 2 stroke motors and they generally keep going.

oldboot
13-01-2008, 11:28 PM
Add a thermostat to the list of spares.
cheers

Blackened
14-01-2008, 05:49 AM
G'day

bugger the thermostat, take the bloody thing out altogether

Dave

PADDLES
14-01-2008, 07:51 AM
g'day norm, when you get your motor serviced before you go, get a mobile guy to do it at your place. talk to him about what you want to do and get him to show you how to do the basics (you might want to slip him a few extra bucks for the extra time). even get him to supply your spares that you want to take away. i'd be thinking impeller kit, some plugs and some gear oil. if anything real bad happens while you're away then maybe a drive to civilisation might be the go.

BM
14-01-2008, 08:01 AM
Don't leave the thermo out or the engine will not run at correct operating temperature.