PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha engine cowling drains

Any_Weather
13-01-2008, 01:35 PM
Hi, just after info from anyone else who owns a 150 Yamaha 4 stroke in regards to the drains for the engine cowling. When I removed the cowling the other day to check the engine I found one of the drains for the cowl to be broken off. They are cast alloy and had corrode right through and broken off. Only one side has broken off completely but the other side also is corroded within a fraction of also breaking. They are the drains for the top of the cowl that removes any water that is sucked in through the vent at the back of the motor. I am guessing they filled up on one of the first trips after purchasing because since new, I have had excessive salt water inside the engine area that I wash off after every trip. I thought this was just a design fault on behalf of Yamaha and lived with it. Now that I have found these drains blocked, I am thinking this may be part of the cause. Surely after only 3 years and 250 hours something like this should not be failing this badly. Has anyone else struck this problem???

Thanks
Lee

FNQCairns
13-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Yep mate very common problem, lot's of people complaining world wide about extra salt water corrosion on powerhead, yamaha will not honor warrenty on any of it either in the US.

cheers fnq

Any_Weather
13-01-2008, 02:09 PM
Thanks mate, is there any cure do you know???
Lee

FNQCairns
13-01-2008, 02:19 PM
I can remember a discussion on one of the boating chatboards about bow to get around it although I cannot remember any outcome, lots of googling may be in your future.

It's not good enough! Hope you work something out.

cheers fnq

Dan5
13-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Yeah my 07 60 yammie 4strk suck's salt air in also and other yammies i've used do the same.I have the engine coated in lanolin but it should'nt happen i quized yamaha about it a few years ago and they told me the hull or trancducer were to blame but that's not right, what happens when it's rough and the wind it blowing spray over the engine.I hav'nt had any thing corrode and break off yet though.Dan........