PDA

View Full Version : New guy - first boat (but a project). (Now project/rebuild thread :D )

CharlieH
13-01-2008, 03:52 AM
Hi guys, I signed up recently and have been reading a lot of useful info on here.

I have been looking for a boat for the last few weeks, I wanted something on the larger side but ended up with a smaller one due to the right price heh.

Late last night I noticed an ad on an internet site for a boat that had to go by today (Saturday) for free. I sent him an email and went to have a look today with the girlfriends father (He's ex-navy, been a fisherman all his life and has been around boats a fair bit). We went over expecting the worst but it turned out to be not too bad. It's a 14 foot fibreglass half cabin 'Barracuda'

The hull feels pretty solid, the floor feels pretty solid but it's pretty rough and does need a lot of work put into it. I figured this'd be a good way to get my toes wet so to speak on working on a boat so if I get a larger one at a later date I've got some experience.

Anyway, it looks like the transom may need replacing (most likely), the seating in the cabin needs re-building/replacing, the console (steering wheel etc) needs re-building/replacing and a fair bit of other bits. I think we can manage a lot of this ourselves aslong as we can find a few pointers etc.

I'm pretty handy with mechanical, electrical and okish with woodwork/fibreglass work (I spent a few months building kayaks years ago and have friends who do glass work professionally).

It looks like there was a divider/wall closing off the cabin that's been removed (that can be seen in the pictures).

I'm going to start off Sunday by removing the roof and cutting out the side seats in the cabin, leaving a lip to attach the new ones we make up. I'm going to build them as storage areas.

So, does anyone have any pointers, helpful hints, advise etc or are we crazy even trying to do anything with this hull?

Sorry about the huge post and thanks in advance if anyone replys/offers any ideas :)

(see attachments)

tunaticer
13-01-2008, 07:21 AM
At 14' length as is and having to replace the transom, I would opt to make a pod and set the motor back from the existing transom to free up another foot or more of useable space in the cockpit. As for the cabin, it is entirely up to you, but my preference would be to remove it completely and make a good casting deck up front and mount an electric bowmount remote control trolling motor. I would probably also make a side console for all your controls.
At 14' it would be a very sweet little fishing boat and probably too small to be a comfortable half cab / fishing boat. Most of your room will be sacrificed to cabin making simple things like where to stow crab pots, using multiple rods, and fitting 2 or three people aboard a tad inconvenient.

Just my thoughts on a refit of what looks like a nice hull shape.

Jack.

Poodroo
13-01-2008, 07:27 AM
If you base your decision on how much money you are going to have to sink into the boat to get it seaworthy again then don't bother with it. If you see the potential in that boat and money is of no issue then go for it. There is a certain amount of satisfaction in restoration and launching it for the first time after all the hard work and effort was put in. Good luck with it. Not sure about the old Mercury on the back either. That was built in the era when they didn't earn a great reputation and got labeled as "The Black Anchor!"

Poodroo

BM
13-01-2008, 07:45 AM
I think you would be better off buying something a bit newer that needs restoring. That is an extremely old boat and the engine is a red band Merc (1967-1971) for which parts are hard to get.

I guess being a freeby it may be worthwhile but theres a lot of labour required and the resale at a later date is likely to be very low.

For approx $1000-1500 you could buy something quite useable but the trick is of course that you need to know what your looking for.

Cheers

paul cooper
13-01-2008, 09:12 AM
building a boat up from scratch is a big task and usually costs more than buying a boat in seaworthy condition it also depends on what your looking for in a boat
if you can see your vision when its finished, time and money are not important
but if your doing it with the hope of redeaming your money forget it
sit down and write a list of what youll need, then add it up plus your hours that you could be sitting out on the water, instead of working on that old barge .
ive done it and wasted 18 months of my time and still lost a pocket ful of cash in the process
coop

trev1
13-01-2008, 09:14 AM
Its not going to be a cheap thing to do all up, but the expense will be spread out over the period of the build. Take the motor to an outboard wrecker and while you are there, have a look at what he's got for sale ( you might pick up something worthwile). If you want to do the boat, the first thing I would do is look at the sort of boat that size you would buy (if you could) and work out the changes you will have to make to that hull on the inside to make it the same ( I mean things like consoles/casting deck/storage/cuddy cab/whatever) and form a plan. Dont deviate from the plan and do things in segments.Complete a segment before moving on to the next.
Theres nothing wrong with the project or the finished object(if you do it right) but at the end of it, you will be the only one who values it greatly (little sale value).
At the end of it though, you will end up with the boat you want. Some of those older fibreglass hulls had beautiful hull shapes and they could handle a sea (if you can)

CharlieH
13-01-2008, 01:53 PM
At 14' length as is and having to replace the transom, I would opt to make a pod and set the motor back from the existing transom to free up another foot or more of useable space in the cockpit. As for the cabin, it is entirely up to you, but my preference would be to remove it completely and make a good casting deck up front and mount an electric bowmount remote control trolling motor. I would probably also make a side console for all your controls.
At 14' it would be a very sweet little fishing boat and probably too small to be a comfortable half cab / fishing boat. Most of your room will be sacrificed to cabin making simple things like where to stow crab pots, using multiple rods, and fitting 2 or three people aboard a tad inconvenient.

Just my thoughts on a refit of what looks like a nice hull shape.

Jack.

Ahh yeah, that's a good idea though I think replacing the transom may be in our skill set but building a pod we would probably have to pay someone else to do. Would this increase the rego and insurance? I guess it doesn't matter too much, it's only $50 more per year if it goes 30cm+ bigger which is nothing compared to what we'll need to throw into it.

And yeah, I was thinking of getting rid of the cabin roof, I was looking at it yesterday and thought "Wow, there'd actually be a fair bit of room if I ripped it off" but I do like the idea of having some protection from the weather with it there (I've been out on a friends centre console boat a few times and no matter where I stood I got wet which would be one more reason for the girlfriend to not come out on it when it's done hehe)

If you base your decision on how much money you are going to have to sink into the boat to get it seaworthy again then don't bother with it. If you see the potential in that boat and money is of no issue then go for it. There is a certain amount of satisfaction in restoration and launching it for the first time after all the hard work and effort was put in. Good luck with it. Not sure about the old Mercury on the back either. That was built in the era when they didn't earn a great reputation and got labeled as "The Black Anchor!"

Poodroo

Well, the plan is to do as much of it my/ourselves, I know it won't be ready by next week I'm cool with taking time, buying things at the right price when they pop up etc. Also, I'm also kind of doing this to learn how to so in future I can do something better/bigger perhaps. I think I might keep a notebook with ever $ spend so I know how much I've thrown away haha.

The father in-law seems pretty keen on the project, I picked it up yesterday and he came back from the markets today with a fuel tank, jerry can, anchor with chain and new winch. So I have a feeling I'll be getting given a lot of parts over the course heh.

Its not going to be a cheap thing to do all up, but the expense will be spread out over the period of the build. Take the motor to an outboard wrecker and while you are there, have a look at what he's got for sale ( you might pick up something worthwile). If you want to do the boat, the first thing I would do is look at the sort of boat that size you would buy (if you could) and work out the changes you will have to make to that hull on the inside to make it the same ( I mean things like consoles/casting deck/storage/cuddy cab/whatever) and form a plan. Dont deviate from the plan and do things in segments.Complete a segment before moving on to the next.
Theres nothing wrong with the project or the finished object(if you do it right) but at the end of it, you will be the only one who values it greatly (little sale value).
At the end of it though, you will end up with the boat you want. Some of those older fibreglass hulls had beautiful hull shapes and they could handle a sea (if you can)

This is a good idea, I'll phone around for some wreckers next week some time, although first I'd like to have a suss of the motor to see what condition it's in. I downloaded the workshop manual for it last night and wouldn't mind having a toy around with it. Once again, it'll be a good learning curve I think. If I can figure out how to re-build one here I might have more chance of getting a dead one going again while out floating around hehe.

Thanks for the replys guys.

Probably getting a bit ahead of myself but one of questions I wanted to ask but forgot was;

With carpeting should I treat the glass with something first then glue it down? Should I glue it to thin ply so it just sits down or is there some other method people use?

Once again, sorry about the long post and thanks for the replies.

finga
13-01-2008, 05:07 PM
Have you got a side on shot of the old girl matey??
She looks bigger then 14" and with a 50hp on her tends to say she's bigger.
The first question I would have asked is what do you intend to use her for??
Off shore, creek work, bay jaunts etc etc.
This would dictate if she's worth mucking about with or not.

It look like it would be easy job to rip the roof off. It looks like an after thought.
A lot of options are open as to what to do with her.
If your deadset on doing something to her then do it.
Looks like a great little project to build up the skills levels and to find out what you can and can't realistically do for the next project.
You could also resell her (you'll have to at least double your money ;)) and buy something else to do up.
Personally I'd rip off the top and turn her into a tiller putt putt.

CharlieH
13-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Have you got a side on shot of the old girl matey??
She looks bigger then 14" and with a 50hp on her tends to say she's bigger.
The first question I would have asked is what do you intend to use her for??
Off shore, creek work, bay jaunts etc etc.
This would dictate if she's worth mucking about with or not.

It look like it would be easy job to rip the roof off. It looks like an after thought.
A lot of options are open as to what to do with her.
If your deadset on doing something to her then do it.
Looks like a great little project to build up the skills levels and to find out what you can and can't realistically do for the next project.
You could also resell her (you'll have to at least double your money ;)) and buy something else to do up.
Personally I'd rip off the top and turn her into a tiller putt putt.

No sorry, I wanted to get a side shot of it on the road out the front but it got pushed into a sorta tight spot before I got the camera out. I can't really get one where it is but will do next time I move it.

I'd say mainly just want it for creeks/river fishing but would love to have something I can take out to this side of Morton or something on a calm day (probably wishful thinking heh)

I actually just went out to take the roof off about an hour ago (was a bit warm during the day today as it's sitting in the sun) and noticed there are bolts on the bottom of the 30 odd screws holding it down so would need someone inside and out to undo them. Ahh well, next weekend.

CharlieH
23-01-2008, 04:38 PM
Small update. spent much longer then I thought removing 34 odd nuts and bolts holding the cab on, I take it they'd been on there for a few years haha

I picked up a compression tester also and supprisingly the results where (I thought) great for a motor coming up on it's 40th birthday next year. 125-130PSI all round.

jimbo59
23-01-2008, 05:13 PM
If you got plenty of time rip the top off then pva the middle of the hull make a mould then cut the boat half, lengthen it to 20 feet:o and it will make a awsome long boat then look for a 40 hp jonno or somthin cheap.Ya never know ya might come to love it::) ...jimbo

CharlieH
23-01-2008, 06:40 PM
If you got plenty of time rip the top off then pva the middle of the hull make a mould then cut the boat half, lengthen it to 20 feet:o and it will make a awsome long boat then look for a 40 hp jonno or somthin cheap.Ya never know ya might come to love it::) ...jimbo

Wouldn't that weaken it a lot?

The old 50HP Mercury is looking OK so far, though I'm keeping an eye out for another motor for the right price incase I can't get it running to the standard (safe) I would like.

CharlieH
26-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Finally got the roof off, there where three last rusted screws and nuts that wouldn't give even with a hammer drill. I was surprised how damn heavy the roof was.

For re-build junkys, sorry but this is going to take me a hell of a long time, probably will update once a week.

http://www.brismetal.com/charlie/boat/roof1.jpg

Damn that was heavy.

http://www.brismetal.com/charlie/boat/roof2.jpg

The super-helpful father-in-law getting the tools out of the boat.

http://www.brismetal.com/charlie/boat/roof3.jpg

I think I'll start out by cutting out that v-birth, leaving a lip and re-build them out of glass covered ply with storage inside.

http://www.brismetal.com/charlie/boat/roof4.jpg

I thought it would look bigger without the roof but I think it looks a little smaller. I'll build a brace tomorrow to hold the motor off the boat and probably start the first cuts into the transom.

tunaticer
26-01-2008, 07:46 PM
Its got the makings of a fine fishing boat with those lines. It's now up to you to bring out the best in the old girl.

Jack.

Poodroo
26-01-2008, 07:56 PM
In a way it is great that there are some people who will lovingly restore a classic old boat. In most cases they turn out better than new. Glad you are embarking on this project. The old girl is worthy of a second chance.

Regards,

Poodroo

Hebb
26-01-2008, 08:13 PM
[Hey charlieh,
Welcome to the world of the shipwright, Itchy, sticky, awkward angles and frustation. Just wanted to throw a suggestion to you about transom. Be carefull how you attack it. Current best practice is to leave outer skin intact and remove old transom timber from inside. If you cut the outside of the transom you create a couple of problems. One you have disrupted the structual integrity of the outside skin. You need to leave a lip around the transom so you can glass back onto this and bind it all together if you cut externally. Two if you cut the outside you then have to bring the stern back to a smooth and presentable finish which can be difficult for the amatuer boat restorer. My advice for what it is worth would be Remove floor first . Remove outboard well if you can by lifting gunales of boat and cut transom out internally. Get a small cutting disk, Bunnings carry them they look like a circular saw disk but fit a 4" angle grinder (about $30) to cut the skin away (be carefull cause they cut skin even easier) then jimmy bar to remove old timber. Flapper disc to clean up internal transom skin. Replace floor. Enough of me waffling I guess what I am saying is get a good plan to replace transom as cutting in the wrong place can create a huge amount of work! Check out attached picture of new transom timber in seafarer I am currently working on. Hard to see properly but by leaving outer skin on hull is still basically as it came out of mould. Good book to help you out would be Peter Websters 2nd hand boat workshop, got some good tips in there
Hebb

TCSunCoast
26-01-2008, 09:33 PM
She's got centre console written all over her.

I've been helping my old man keep his boat in tip top shape for 20 years. Still as good as new.

All power to you.

CharlieH
26-01-2008, 11:10 PM
Its got the makings of a fine fishing boat with those lines. It's now up to you to bring out the best in the old girl.

Jack.

Yeah, I'll see how I go, this is my first go so it may or may not be good at the end haha. I have built some fibreglass canoes before but this is a whole other kettle of fish. Luckily I have a father in law with loads of tools to make things go a bit easier, and a pair of hands for help.

In a way it is great that there are some people who will lovingly restore a classic old boat. In most cases they turn out better than new. Glad you are embarking on this project. The old girl is worthy of a second chance.

Regards,

Poodroo

I'm hoping to a new-look when I'm finished, I think this is a bit of a pie in the sky attitude as I'm not sure how we're going to go about making everything look new but hey, I'll try.

She's quite wide actually (was looking today) so might be able to handle some choppier conditions when it's finished. I can't wait to get it finished and in the water though heh.

CharlieH
27-01-2008, 01:15 AM
Sorry, I hadn't noticed it was on its second page and missed these in my reply earlier.

[Hey charlieh,
Welcome to the world of the shipwright, Itchy, sticky, awkward angles and frustation. Just wanted to throw a suggestion to you about transom. Be carefull how you attack it. Current best practice is to leave outer skin intact and remove old transom timber from inside. If you cut the outside of the transom you create a couple of problems. One you have disrupted the structual integrity of the outside skin. You need to leave a lip around the transom so you can glass back onto this and bind it all together if you cut externally. Two if you cut the outside you then have to bring the stern back to a smooth and presentable finish which can be difficult for the amatuer boat restorer. My advice for what it is worth would be Remove floor first . Remove outboard well if you can by lifting gunales of boat and cut transom out internally. Get a small cutting disk, Bunnings carry them they look like a circular saw disk but fit a 4" angle grinder (about $30) to cut the skin away (be carefull cause they cut skin even easier) then jimmy bar to remove old timber. Flapper disc to clean up internal transom skin. Replace floor. Enough of me waffling I guess what I am saying is get a good plan to replace transom as cutting in the wrong place can create a huge amount of work! Check out attached picture of new transom timber in seafarer I am currently working on. Hard to see properly but by leaving outer skin on hull is still basically as it came out of mould. Good book to help you out would be Peter Websters 2nd hand boat workshop, got some good tips in there
Hebb

I actually have a copy of Jeff Websters 2nd hand boat magazine. His instructions attack the transom from the outside. I think I'd feel better going at it from that side as I won't have to cut up the splash well etc. The floor actually feels pretty strong at the moment so I'm not sure I'm going to rip that up yet.

She's got centre console written all over her.

I've been helping my old man keep his boat in tip top shape for 20 years. Still as good as new.

All power to you.

Yeah, I was thinking about a centre console but the boat will probably be used for leisure as well as fishing, I'm sort of leaning towards cleaning up, maybe changing a bit and painting the roof and re-fitting it at the moment.

Blackened
27-01-2008, 09:16 AM
Yeah, I was thinking about a centre console but the boat will probably be used for leisure as well as fishing, I'm sort of leaning towards cleaning up, maybe changing a bit and painting the roof and re-fitting it at the moment.

G'day

IMO, It's really too small to get a roof on it and have a functioning boat.

Especially with the weight of that roof, A side console would be your best conversion, keeping it light and space/family friendly with a canopy.

Dave

CharlieH
27-01-2008, 01:11 PM
G'day

IMO, It's really too small to get a roof on it and have a functioning boat.

Especially with the weight of that roof, A side console would be your best conversion, keeping it light and space/family friendly with a canopy.

Dave

Yeah, we've tossed up over keeping the roof or turfing it. Still not 100% either way. Maybe we can figure out some way to have it kind of convertible heh.