PDA

View Full Version : would you swap?

crossy
12-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Dad wants to swap boats with me, so i take his boat up to darwin and he keeps mine, after all the hard work iv put into my boat i dont think im willing to part with it just yet. i love estury fishing so its ideal for me. but there are alot of advantages of having his boat but also alot of disadvantages. here are the boats and specs

dads boat. Ally Craft 455 BayRaider, with US 50hp merc 2002 model, live bait tank, rocket lancher, gps and sounder.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/1dar3u/boat/P1010614.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/1dar3u/boat/P1010613.jpg

my boat. 89 Quintrex 400 Sportsman, with US Johnson 25hp 98model, sounder, front casting deck.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/1dar3u/boat/P1010627.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/1dar3u/boat/P1010625.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/1dar3u/boat/P1010626.jpg

i know its a pretty unfare trade and i know what the answer will be from most people

Dan5
12-01-2008, 05:10 PM
Mate would your old man be dissapointed if you ripped out the front controls and changed it to rear/side console?Up home you need or want a big raised casting deck escpecially if your gunna chase barra which you will and which you will get addicted to doing.Personally i'd be going your old mans boat and the starting over again but hey that's me.Cheers Dan............

deadbeatloser
12-01-2008, 05:12 PM
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....................uuuuuuuuuummm mmmmmmmmmmmmm..................
ooooooooooooooooooooo.......yeah i think i would swap.....................
get that car packed for N.T.:D

beers DBL

rodnreal
12-01-2008, 07:21 PM
Swap Swap Swap.;D
Dont forget the seat he gave you, you will need that .
A high side boat up there is a must.
I know you have done a lot of work to your baby, but let it go mate.

Swap Swap Swap......:-*

wags on the water
12-01-2008, 07:31 PM
Sorry mate, I know you've put some hours into it, but the ally would be my option.

disorderly
12-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Totally depends on what you are after.
Obviously from a financial perspective your old mans is worth more......and its probably a more seaworthy boat.
On the other hand(and I have both a runabout and a tillersteer) if you mainly spend your time in estuaries fishing and crabbing then I'd keep the tiller steer.. its obvious that you have put quite a bit of effort into tidying it right up.(it's a real nice looking tinny)
Scott

rizzi jnr
12-01-2008, 08:09 PM
Hi, your boat is a very good estuary boat and your dads boat looks like it can take a few waves so if your living close to estuaries and calm bays stay with your boat but if your gonna live close to open water then i would go with your dads boat so think about it but its tyour choice.

Cheers good luck with making the right choice
Dylan

Roughasguts
12-01-2008, 08:35 PM
Your old man is doing you a favour, look he want's to give it to you so let him do the swap. That's what the old mans supose to do, so let him see you enjoy it.

SnagMaster
12-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Swap i would wish my dad had a boat to swap with me lol.

paul cooper
13-01-2008, 06:41 AM
i cant see one disadvantage in swapping his boat for yours i have a 4.6 quinnie that i use for every thing it floats in 12 inches of water . is great at sea and big enough to sleep in with a tarp over it .and
where your going it would suit .why dont you just borrow his boat until you get back im sure yours would be in the same condition as you left it . any way its family whats the difference who owns what.

2rods
13-01-2008, 06:42 AM
Mate if you won't hurt the old mans feelings swap it, then trade it in when you get here....

Forward control in the NT is a pain in the a#se. Our short sharp chop will have you peeing blood on an average day in your dads boat out in the blue water.

If you want to fish for barra your boat would be better IMHO. Your call though... as for high sides on a boat up here???? people who a scared of crocs or have never had anything to do with crocs will tell you that but don't let irt sway your dicision....... it is not an important factor.

cheers

larfin
13-01-2008, 03:48 PM
I would go the swap
cheers
greg

crossy
13-01-2008, 04:25 PM
No he shouldn't swap boats took years to go from tinney to a better boat
MUM>:(

Wahoo
13-01-2008, 04:29 PM
No he shouldn't swap boats took years to go from tinney to a better boat
MUM>:(

LOL ............mum crossy is not a happy Jan;D;D your in for it now dad crossy :-X

crossy
13-01-2008, 05:22 PM
hahaha mum jut logged in under my name. i dont think dad told her that he wants a swap. wooops.

Scott nthQld
13-01-2008, 07:17 PM
I would have a very hard think about it. Think what sort of fishing you will mostly be doing. If you will be in the creeks casting lures I would keep the tinny, but if you are partial to bait, and want to do a bit of open water fishing, I would take your dad up on his offer.

I'm going to assume the move to Darwin is permanent? If so, try just taking the tinny, and if it doesn't suit your style in Darwin, then take the old man up on his offer.

Chimo
13-01-2008, 07:21 PM
Well that solves that!;D

You would think that your Dad as a trained survivor:-* would know what he can get away with and when he is driving over a cliff; like a lemming::) .

Its a good thing you like your tinny ;)

At least you found out before you took off with the boat and caused a war:P

Chimo GOM ( trained survivor who cannot afford a divorce either)

crossy
13-01-2008, 09:25 PM
lol a trained survivor. im still under training. lol. yea i think i will keep the tinnie cause we wanna do alot of barra and toga fishing up the in shallow water.

WHALEOIL
15-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Tell you what Crossy, if you don't swap, make sure you leave a forwarding address so we know where to send the men with the white coats.

Angla
24-03-2010, 08:08 PM
Thats one angry looking rabbit in Mum's log in.

Is this swap for good or just for a trip.

I would prefer to earn my own boat than a unfair sort of a swap like that

Cheers
Chris

griz066
24-03-2010, 10:34 PM
Over 2 years old What tha

Axl
26-03-2010, 12:14 PM
I'd swap you can still do plenty of estuary fishing in a 4.55m boat.

Teabag73
26-03-2010, 01:42 PM
In a heart beat..............hehehehe

Interesting boat name on your old mans boat. Is he and ex-pusser by any chance?

The_Tub
27-03-2010, 11:27 PM
hey
all good and most fathers want the best for there son's/daughters,it does'nt matter the cost,it's a matter of trying to make sure yuo're going to be alright,go the swap,you can always give it back;D