PDA

View Full Version : VHF Purchase Criteria

Splash
11-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Hi team.

It's time to get a VHF radio now...

What criteria (besides cost) should look for when acquiring a VHF unit?

Ditto for the arial?

Pros and Cons of Handheld over permanent fixed units?

I am keen on the ICOM units.

Splash

bluefin59
11-01-2008, 04:04 PM
i recently bought a m304 icom it has all the features you could want for i believe, i got mine from fishon site sponsor it cost $149 us + postage it seems good to me ,i bought my antenna here in brissy ...matt

Splash
11-01-2008, 04:33 PM
Thansk MAtt.

What were the specs of your antenna?

Cam

snelly1971
11-01-2008, 05:37 PM
Yeah...Stick with Icom Splash..they weem to work better than alot of other brands...

Mick

hondaguy
11-01-2008, 06:31 PM
get your radio licience so you can use dsc function and connect it to your gps. get the tallest aerial you can

mik01
11-01-2008, 07:08 PM
was advised by icom to get a high db aerial to maximise the Icom unit. still haven't got my new aerial since getting the m422 cos I have been slack. Splash - have you read a couple of other threads on the icom units in this section?
you can't really go wrong with them IMO.
look for features such as quick buttons - ie - channel 16 having its own button etc. dual watch/tri watch, dsc if you got an mmsi number, also if you do have an mmsi the icom has an emergency button that all I have to do is push if I dont have time to broadcast a message and it will send a data message out of who I am and that I'm in trouble. when I hook it up to my gps (soon i hope), it will also broadcast my last position with every dsc compatible vhf around.
get your license is my advice, and then apply for an mmsi number and you will also be able to keep in touch with others out on the bay if you choose to let the unit broadcast that you are out there - your friends will be able to 'see' you.

also agree with the tallest aerial you can buy - i will be getting an 8foot aerial.
also have to agree with buying from Fishon - huge savings and trustworthy to do business with

oh - one last thing - save on the unit by buying o/s if it suits you, but don't buy a cheap aerial. the composition of the inside of the aerial will determine how long it will last you. use the money you save on the unit to get a decent aerial.

Splash
11-01-2008, 08:17 PM
Thansk boys - helpful as usual!!

Yeah, I ma sure many threads on the ICOM - will spend the next day reviewing all and decide.

Still, I need your opinions on hand held protable or fixed permanet??

Thoughts and why?

Oh - any idea how to get a VHF licence in Arnhem Land GOve?

Is it compulsory to have a licesnce before I use the unit?

Cam

marco
11-01-2008, 08:32 PM
fixed radios transmitt more power so you get further distances from them , the best way is to have both with the hand held making a good back up in case of failure of the fixed unit . but then it easy for me to spend your money hey :)

go the icom 304 or 422 with a 2.5 mtr aerial and have a look at the pacific aerials over the gme ones .

there is some good threads on here regarding quality of aerials as well that i was reading recently

disorderly
11-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Hi splash,How's it hangin.
I just bought an ICOM 422 as well.
Cant tell you how good it is because I havent fitted it.

Legally you are required to have a licence to operate one but more importantly as honda guy has said, once you have a licence you can get a mmsi number and be able to use your DSI .
Just another safety feature that may come in handy one day.

Scott

Splash
11-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Thanks boys! More reading to come...

mik01
11-01-2008, 09:00 PM
can you do the course online or over a video link??? you never know - as long as they can provide you with a test and monitor it somehow.
Subzero (Llyod) will be the guy to speak to about this possibility.

Snapp
11-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Hello Splash,
Just ordered 2 IC-M422 units from Fishon, I will let you know how it goes.

PS, thanks to other guys on Ausfish for help so far.

Grand_Marlin
12-01-2008, 07:56 AM
G'day Splash,

Some very good advice above.

These days I only supply & install Icom radios and Pacific Aerials - in particular the Pro range which has the aerial removable from the base, as well as being able to fold it down.
That way if it gets damaged, or breaks down over time, it is just a matter of screwing on a new aerial to the base and you dont have to replace base & aerial cable.
Also, it lets you remove the aerial for storage out of the sun etc that will make it last a lot longer.

Hand held VHF's are a good backup, but do not have anywhere near the range of the fixed units.
You also have the problem of keeping them charged.

The High DB rating is an important factor of an aerial, but not as important as length.

Cheers

Pete

Splash
12-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Thansk GM.

Splash

bluefin59
12-01-2008, 01:13 PM
Hi splash i am the same as the others i have a pacific ariel but i only bought the 1.8 mt one probably should have bought the longer one but i dont go too far ofshore or in a remote location i get great reception with what i have but the longest one would be better for your needs i suspect ...matt

Snapp
12-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Hi splash i am the same as the others i have a pacific ariel but i only bought the 1.8 mt one probably should have bought the longer one but i dont go too far ofshore or in a remote location i get great reception with what i have but the longest one would be better for your needs i suspect ...matt
hello Bluefin59.
I tried to do a search on Pacific aerials, not much luck, found the NZ site.
Where is Brissy did you buy.
I will be looking at the 2.5m, any idea what they are worth.?

bluefin59
12-01-2008, 04:15 PM
Got mine from i hate to admit it but i bought from bcf $48 for 1.8 $54 for 2.4 rail mount with cable about $30 i have lost the reciept about $75 all up ...matt

marco
12-01-2008, 05:26 PM
hello Bluefin59.
I tried to do a search on Pacific aerials, not much luck, found the NZ site.
Where is Brissy did you buy.
I will be looking at the 2.5m, any idea what they are worth.?

bias boating

http://www.biasboating.com.au/Images/radio_pics/1638pacific_aerial.jpg

PACIFIC SeaMaster 'Pro' Series Aerials Separate whip and prewired bases. Base can be left in place while whip is removed without the need to re-run the co-ax cable. Whip can be removed for towing or stowing - simply screw on and off. Made of UltraGlass fibreglass with thicker walls and smoother exterior, finished in two pot polyurethane for UV weather protection. Pacific 'Pro' 27Mhz Aerial Whips Cat. 1638X 6ft / 1.8 metre whip only. BIAS Price $51.90 Cat. 1643X 8ft / 2.5 metre whip only. BIAS Price $57.90 Pacific 'Pro' VHF Aerial Whips Cat. 1644X 6ft / 1.8 metre whip only. BIAS Price $46.90 Cat. 1639X 8ft / 2.5 metre whip only. BIAS Price $52.90
http://www.biasboating.com.au/Images/radio_pics/1640pacific_flat_base.jpg
Pacific 'Pro' Deck Mount Aerial Base Cat. 1640X BIAS Price $39.90 Includes 5 metre cable and plug for radio (radio not included). Base 94 x 67mm.
http://www.biasboating.com.au/Images/radio_pics/1641pacific_rail_mnt_base.jpg
Pacific 'Pro' Rail Mount Aerial Base Cat. 1641X BIAS Price $34.90 Suits 25mm Rail. Includes 5 metre cable and plug for radio (radio not included).

marco
12-01-2008, 05:28 PM
also did a test today with a gme and pacific aerial and the pacific was much better

Splash
13-01-2008, 12:37 AM
Can any others concur with Marco on this finding?

SPlash

deadbeatloser
15-01-2008, 04:09 PM
i have a cobra and i must say if you can get one with the conversation rewind function it comes in very handy as you dont have to call back 2nd party as the radio records the last conversation;D ;D
just a push of the play back button
beers DBL

Splash
15-01-2008, 11:01 PM
bias boating

http://www.biasboating.com.au/Images/radio_pics/1638pacific_aerial.jpg

PACIFIC SeaMaster 'Pro' Series Aerials Separate whip and prewired bases. Base can be left in place while whip is removed without the need to re-run the co-ax cable. Whip can be removed for towing or stowing - simply screw on and off. Made of UltraGlass fibreglass with thicker walls and smoother exterior, finished in two pot polyurethane for UV weather protection. Pacific 'Pro' 27Mhz Aerial Whips Cat. 1638X 6ft / 1.8 metre whip only. BIAS Price $51.90 Cat. 1643X 8ft / 2.5 metre whip only. BIAS Price $57.90 Pacific 'Pro' VHF Aerial Whips Cat. 1644X 6ft / 1.8 metre whip only. BIAS Price $46.90 Cat. 1639X 8ft / 2.5 metre whip only. BIAS Price $52.90
http://www.biasboating.com.au/Images/radio_pics/1640pacific_flat_base.jpg

Pacific 'Pro' Deck Mount Aerial Base Cat. 1640X BIAS Price $39.90 Includes 5 metre cable and plug for radio (radio not included). Base 94 x 67mm.
http://www.biasboating.com.au/Images/radio_pics/1641pacific_rail_mnt_base.jpg

Pacific 'Pro' Rail Mount Aerial Base Cat. 1641X BIAS Price $34.90 Suits 25mm Rail. Includes 5 metre cable and plug for radio (radio not included).

Marco,

How would fitting a Navman Areial go with the ICOM unit (in regards to compatibility, etc)? - as per link below:

http://www.navman.com/Navman/templates/productinformation____27916.aspx

How do these arials compare to the 'Pacific Pro' units?

Regards
Spash

marco
16-01-2008, 02:45 AM
it would work but i have no idea as to how the navman compares to the pacific . i just know the pacific pro works good because i have one .

Snapp
16-01-2008, 10:11 PM
Splash;
the picture above of the Pacific Aerial in Marco's reply is the Longreach aerial. (s-steel end), NOT the Seamaster Pro.
I couldn't help myself today & I rang Bias Boating web site and suggested that they should get the right picture of what they are selling. !!!!!

ps; no good looking at a Landcruiser if your going to get the Rav4.

marco
17-01-2008, 02:52 AM
Splash;
the picture above of the Pacific Aerial in Marco's reply is the Longreach aerial. (s-steel end), NOT the Seamaster Pro.
I couldn't help myself today & I rang Bias Boating web site and suggested that they should get the right picture of what they are selling. !!!!!

ps; no good looking at a Landcruiser if your going to get the Rav4.

yea you are right , sorry i didnt even see it had the stainless base on the aerial .