PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to fish here at night?

mad_pierre06
11-01-2008, 08:11 AM
Way back when, i used to enjoy packing up the gas lantern and heading to places like the Boat Passage, Deep Water Bend, Hornibrook, Pinkenba and the like at various places around Brisbane's northside for a fish at night. I never had any problems from local yobs and the like, but bearing in mind different stories I have heard re Pinkenba at night, I was wondering if anybody had any local info about the locations I mentioned above and how safe they are to fish at night.

Any info about other locations around the northside which are safe to fish at night ( AND catch a feed) would be appreciated.

baitwaster
11-01-2008, 08:32 AM
I have been fishing deepwater bend, hornibrook, and shorncliffe at night for the past few years with no problems at all. I have had the odd drunk at hornibrook, but all friendly enough.

Throwing SP's off the last groyne under the bridge on thelast of the run-in should usually produce a lizard or 2 for you.

mad_pierre06
11-01-2008, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the info mate. Muchly appreciated.

Cammy
11-01-2008, 10:31 PM
i have had some drunks that where lighting the shorncliff pier on fire this one time i went there for a fish at night, but that was ages ago. but i have been night fishing there since that and havent seen anything bad happen.i heard a story about dw bend, that some guy got killed or stabbed a couple of years ago fishing there but i dont know how reliable my source is.

oh and shorncliffe can produce good size bream, but they usually arent there often. its very good for prawns and live bait though.:)

cam

choppa
12-01-2008, 07:24 AM
makes you wonder what the world is going to be like in 5,,,10,,,15 years from now eh??????

its not only a thought of how safe you are fishing from a bank/bridge etc at night,,,

but how safe is the car,,,trailer etc if your out in the boat,,,??

how safe is the homefront if no-ones there whilst your all out fishing??

we're all at risk,,, i recently had a swag of stuff that someone else wanted,,, i was lucky,,, i got 99% of it back,,,, but if you read through the lost/stolen forum,,, read the papers we would all turn into hermits and not go fishing at all,,, probably wouldn't dare to leave the front yard,,,,;D ;D

i 'spose if your with someone else land based at night the risk is lower,,,, but if not take the """priest"" outta the boat and slip it into the tackle box;D ;D

choppa

mad_pierre06
12-01-2008, 07:47 AM
Youi're right Choppa, it's a matter of not letting the bastards beat us. While there's no way i'll allow things to stop me enjoying wetting a line at night, it's prudent to take precautions. Don't want to make myself an easy target for the local brainless population. I've heard that it's a bit suss out Pinkenba way now.

I haven't got a boat or a priest. ;D

maztez
12-01-2008, 08:09 AM
Many moons ago ,I used to enjoy a night fish sometimes with my younger brother and sometimes on the pat malone .I always had my dog with me (kelpie) in those days and never had a problem.
Might be the way to got M P take your dog (if you have one ).
cheers Terry

theclick
12-01-2008, 09:37 AM
I dunno. I always thought of myself being safe when fishing, because it would have to be a pretty brainless type crook to attack someone with a box full of sharp knives and rusty hooks, and even sometimes a gaff.

gaintsquid
12-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Was fishing around the kingsford smith drive area of the brissy river the other day and encounterd a few nutcase's dealing out some threats' wouldnt like to be there alone at night.

oldboot
12-01-2008, 12:22 PM
Keep a healhy distance away from public transport and licences premises and you luck improves considerably.

then all you have to worry about are the druggies and the hoons.
the hoons can be noisy but are mostly harmless.

the druggies on the other hand......

cheers

Poodroo
12-01-2008, 02:01 PM
I think in most cases you would be safe fishing anywhere at night however I still think it is a good idea to invite a mate or brother along just to add a bit of extra safety not to mention it is always nice to have a little companionship and someone to chat to while you are fishing.

Poodroo

onerabbit
12-01-2008, 05:00 PM
the druggies on the other hand......

target practice,

Muzz

BrandonH
12-01-2008, 06:00 PM
Deep water bend can be bad some times:'( As a kid I use to fish there a lot with my dad well past midnight.. nowadays I am fishing from a boat more often than not and won't leave the truck and trailer there after midnight.. one night last week I was going to launch around 10:30 but when i arrived there was about 10 teens there drinking.. I ended up fishing in cabbage tree creek:(

I once arrived at Deepwater bend around 3:30am for an early fish. Launched and parked my rig next to a BA XR8 with its rear window smashed, no rollers and sitting on all 4 disc Breaks:-/

That death your thinking of too Cammy was a sex worker that was taken down there and killed. Nothing to do with a fisherman. that is the only death I have heard of down there in my 28 years in the area.

Below the highway Bridge should be quite safe, I have fished there b4 and had no visitors all night.. Seeing the only access is off the highway (Gravel Quarry exit, don't park on the Highway!!) the only people that come here are other fisherman.

cheers
Skip.

SWANY22
12-01-2008, 07:33 PM
deep water bend is patroled by the police a fair bit more on weekends as they now a lot of crime and drugs are dow there .cabbage tree creek is pretty safe that would be my pick for a fish.

kingtin
12-01-2008, 07:56 PM
I can't fish anywhere at night land based. I'm such a grumpy old bastard that if someone was acting up, I'd probably end up challenging them and getting 10 shades of shit kicked out of me....................although I do carry a nice piece of 4x2 that I found by a building site.......... with some nails in it that I forgot to pull out ;D

Brandon's right about DWB. despite increased police presence, the yobs still break into the cars. The sad fact is that most of the crimes are perpetrated by younger fishos who think that they are invincible. The cops rock up and they just deny the damage...without catching them in the act, the cops are powerless.

kev

mad_pierre06
12-01-2008, 08:26 PM
It's a bugger about DWB, I always enjoyed it as a night fishing spot. I might grab a mate next time i go there, just to check out the landscape. Under the bridge sounds a nice option too.

Thanks for the feedback, fellas.

roz
13-01-2008, 12:11 PM
Unfortunately, I don't fish at night by myself anymore (land based)....I don't wish to sound cynical, but the only requirement is that one be female, and breathing to get hasselled. Beach fishing alone, is out also.

Sorry if I've put a dampener on your thread Alan. Fishing after dark for bream etc, can be one of the best past times :)

r :)

tiny_tinny
13-01-2008, 12:30 PM
Get a dog - only a fool will hassle someone with a good-sized dog. Then again......... they're probbly fools.

kingtin
13-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Get a dog - only a fool will hassle someone with a good-sized dog. Then again......... they're probbly fools.

And brave ones at that ::)................they always have something to prove when they're on the grog or other substances. 99.99% of 'em would shit themselves if confronted by a schoolgirl with a tennis racquet, if it wasn't for the Dutch courage.http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_1_114.gif

kev

mad_pierre06
13-01-2008, 01:09 PM
Been lookin at getting a dog for ages, trouble is my yard isn't suitable for my preference ( nice little rottie). But hopeful of making yard more rottie friendly in next twelve months. Might be a way of taking him out for a take away feed. ;D

Local yobbo torn limb from limb.

PinHead
13-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Been lookin at getting a dog for ages, trouble is my yard isn't suitable for my preference ( nice little rottie). But hopeful of making yard more rottie friendly in next twelve months. Might be a way of taking him out for a take away feed. ;D

Local yobbo torn limb from limb.

rotties are sooks..nothing scary about them. great family dog. The problems with rotties these days is that there are very few good ones around..all too big and cumbersome now. why isn't the yard suitable?

mad_pierre06
13-01-2008, 09:13 PM
The yard we have has been fenced halfway, and what there is needs repair. It's Housing Commission, but i'm hoping to fence it fully in next twelve months or sao. Don't want to put a big dog in half a yard, it's not fair on them. I'll be looking for a decent one.

mad_pierre06
13-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Unfortunately, I don't fish at night by myself anymore (land based)....I don't wish to sound cynical, but the only requirement is that one be female, and breathing to get hasselled. Beach fishing alone, is out also.

Sorry if I've put a dampener on your thread Alan. Fishing after dark for bream etc, can be one of the best past times :)

r :)

That's a real bugger for ya Roz, but i can understand ur being a tad peeved. Don't worry 'bout the dampeners. :) Yeah, night fishin' is a beauty. I love it.

Cammy
14-01-2008, 12:53 AM
i'd rather get a staffy as they are my fav dog, they may look nice a cuddly to ur family and stuff but when ur getting attacked by anything they will usually attack the thing thats attacking you and they wont let go because of there lock-jaw, so ur pretty much covered,:) they r an awsome dog. i think im just talking them up lol;D

cam

mad_pierre06
14-01-2008, 07:23 AM
i'd rather get a staffy as they are my fav dog, they may look nice a cuddly to ur family and stuff but when ur getting attacked by anything they will usually attack the thing thats attacking you and they wont let go because of there lock-jaw, so ur pretty much covered,:) they r an awsome dog. i think im just talking them up lol;D

cam

LOL...they're my second pick, i love 'em, they're great little mutts. And more importantly, the Secretary of Finances is a fan of them as well. She don't like big dogs. :-/

PinHead
14-01-2008, 08:45 AM
get the ultimate dog..great with kids..scare the crap out of unwelcome visitors.

Little grey men
14-01-2008, 10:55 AM
My fishing hours are now limited to day time only as my 5 1/2 year old is my constant fishing buddy. I certainly wouldn't want him to witness any rubbish from drunks, druggies or various other forms of lethal self confessed champion street fighters.
We have fished from the Redcliffe jetty a few times very early on a Saturday morning and a few blokes do come stumbling along to say G'day after a hard night on the turps but mostly they're harmless, but I do keep a very close eye on them ( bit over protective i suppose ) I once went to thump some bloke who reached inside his pram when he was a baby, I didn't realise the bloke was just returning his dummy which the little fella had thrown out. A little embarrasing:-/
The only place I take him to fish after dark is out on the Condamine river with my old man and two brothers...pretty safe out there.

mik01
14-01-2008, 03:19 PM
Deep water bend can be bad some times:'( As a kid I use to fish there a lot with my dad well past midnight.. nowadays I am fishing from a boat more often than not and won't leave the truck and trailer there after midnight.. one night last week I was going to launch around 10:30 but when i arrived there was about 10 teens there drinking.. I ended up fishing in cabbage tree creek:(

I once arrived at Deepwater bend around 3:30am for an early fish. Launched and parked my rig next to a BA XR8 with its rear window smashed, no rollers and sitting on all 4 disc Breaks:-/

That death your thinking of too Cammy was a sex worker that was taken down there and killed. Nothing to do with a fisherman. that is the only death I have heard of down there in my 28 years in the area.

Below the highway Bridge should be quite safe, I have fished there b4 and had no visitors all night.. Seeing the only access is off the highway (Gravel Quarry exit, don't park on the Highway!!) the only people that come here are other fisherman.

cheers
Skip.

the killer was a fisherman!!!! launched his boat at DWB

Taipan
14-01-2008, 04:40 PM
That sucks when you have to worry about that kind of crap when fishing at night. I remember as a kid fishing down in Tas, getting up at 3 and wetting a line till after sun up, nothing, no one hasseling, no drunks.
Even when I was 12-16 fish Wynnum at night we had no drama's.
I reckon I could fish up here at night with no drama's, but like most posts I reckon you'd get a few friendly drunks seeing if you've caught anything.
Glad I'm up here really.

swabio
14-01-2008, 08:06 PM
It is getting pretty bad isn't it.... not only fishing...boats parks etc.... but pretty much anything these days in the later evening is off limits without the risk of some kind of trouble.... :(

cuzzamundi
15-01-2008, 09:40 PM
This is a great topic mate! being an avid landbased fisho, it's always on my mind as well. a dog would be an option, but make sure you don't get it just for that. i guess maintaining vigilance is the key. always be aware of your surroundings, and when stragglers do aproach, really suss them out whilst nodding and smiling as they go on and on about somethng. never take your eyes off anyone in those situations, and don't allow thier friendliness to deceive you - sometimes the grog can make people change almost immediately, so never be lulled into a safe feeling. if the stink does go down, maintain an innocuous front until crunch time, then really go hard if there is no escape. pick the ring leader out and work hard on him (within reason), you may just dissuade the rest. you may bluff them if you yell and puff your chest, but if violence is imminent, best to lull them into a false sense of superiority - you will shock them so much more as they won't be ready for it. no shame in running if you can, it is always the best option as you can never win in those situations, even if you do win. having said all this, most are good people juiced up so it's usually a friendly affair anyway. i hope the only fight you ever have is a creature from the drink mate!

cuzza

loophole
15-01-2008, 09:55 PM
yer mate if ur livin by ur self and have a dog and u spend time with him and treat him like ya mate hes gunna protect UR house ur car and you rottys arnet that viscious any more. still goota love the old loyal blue heeler.

mad_pierre06
15-01-2008, 10:16 PM
This is a great topic mate! being an avid landbased fisho, it's always on my mind as well. a dog would be an option, but make sure you don't get it just for that. i guess maintaining vigilance is the key. always be aware of your surroundings, and when stragglers do aproach, really suss them out whilst nodding and smiling as they go on and on about somethng. never take your eyes off anyone in those situations, and don't allow thier friendliness to deceive you - sometimes the grog can make people change almost immediately, so never be lulled into a safe feeling. if the stink does go down, maintain an innocuous front until crunch time, then really go hard if there is no escape. pick the ring leader out and work hard on him (within reason), you may just dissuade the rest. you may bluff them if you yell and puff your chest, but if violence is imminent, best to lull them into a false sense of superiority - you will shock them so much more as they won't be ready for it. no shame in running if you can, it is always the best option as you can never win in those situations, even if you do win. having said all this, most are good people juiced up so it's usually a friendly affair anyway. i hope the only fight you ever have is a creature from the drink mate!

cuzza

Yeah, my main concern is that I want to be able to take my kids fishing of an evening as well, nothing better for them than heading out for a night's fishing with Dad. That makes it even more important to be in areas where it is generally regarded as 'safe'. If i was by myself, i would certainly have less qualms about getting into a stink if it was unavoidable, but it makes things less certain with the billy lids there as well.

Dnepr_family
17-01-2008, 11:40 AM
It might be worthwhile someone contacting the police to ask where THEY suggest the safest spots would be. I notice them patrolling Deep Water Bend during the day at times and surely they would have some data on incidents in common fishing areas.

If there are incidents that they are not managing it says a lot about their resourcing. Issue should be made of this because we have a right to be able to fish safely of an evening... Christ, this is a BASIC right of safety!

onerabbit
19-01-2008, 10:40 PM
yer mate if ur livin by ur self and have a dog and u spend time with him and treat him like ya mate hes gunna protect UR house ur car and you rottys arnet that viscious any more. still goota love the old loyal blue heeler.

Thank you loophole, you beat me to it, I've had 3 blueys over the years I lived in the scrub,

If you want something protected, give it to a blue.

Muzz

efc
22-01-2008, 04:36 PM
i know i would be more scared of a nice sized piggin knife then a dog. It looks dangerous and you dont have to walk and feed it.

the_real_rumbo
22-01-2008, 04:57 PM
I had my ute broken in to at deepwater bend last year early hours of the morning they only got some small change though at least the ute & trailer were still there.

Hardb8
22-01-2008, 10:29 PM
Hi Alan,
It's a sad fact that this is the world we live in.But don't let these punks stop you from enjoying your life.

Mate,I suggest ya take up the gaff idea.Your a pretty big bloke,And if i seen ya all angry and wavin a gaff around,I know I'd definantly take steps in the other direction.Not only will the ally pole split ya head open like a water melon ;) ,A big nasty hook in the back of the neck would have ta hurt as ya drag em in for a solid head butt ;D .

Cheers,Rick.:)

mad_pierre06
23-01-2008, 04:13 PM
A big nasty hook in the back of the neck would have ta hurt as ya drag em in for a solid head butt ;D .

Cheers,Rick.:)

G'day Rick, yeah i can see it now. Come 'ere pretty boy. SMACK!!! ;D

I've been thinking of going the 'gaff' route, there's no way i'm gonna let some little dropkick stop me heading out. And i've hit my old man up to make me a hardwood 'persuader' , he's pretty handy with timber. It'll come in handy if i got to slow down any big fish when they get uppity as well. I was thinking of giving my brother a ring, he always has a couple of spare pellet dispensers lying around for any emergencies. ;D