PDA

View Full Version : Checking Oil Level in Trim/Tilt Unit

VaSyd1
10-01-2008, 10:20 PM
I want check and top up the oil if necessary in the trim/tilt unit. I have read some info online that says you should top up the oil with the motor fully tilted up and resting on the trailering bracket. On the other hand the outboard service manual I have (Clymer's Yamaha service manual)states that it should be done with the motor in the down position?!?

Can anyone confirm one way or the other?

Thanks

Vince

stickbender
11-01-2008, 02:07 AM
The way that the service on my old boat the mechanic all way did it with the motor fully up on the rest. he filled it up untill oil run out of the bung.

90 hp yamaha

Far side
11-01-2008, 05:50 AM
Vince this is for a df 140

Raise motor to full trim tilt position. Lower manual tilt lock lever
Remove oil filler check level
If oil is seen at the plug then unit is ok

Roughasguts
11-01-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm pretty sure you can't even get to the filler plug on the suzuki unless the motor is up.

VaSyd1
11-01-2008, 09:33 PM
On the Yamaha you can just get to the filler plug with the motor down. But logically you would think that when the motor is up the fluid would be in the cylinders and at the lowest point in the reservoir. This would be the time that you would be able to top up the fluid. This is what I thought and the service manual must have got its up/down screwed up.

This is what the manual actually states:

CAUTION

Do not fill the pump reservoir with the outboard in the up position or the valve body assembly may be damaged.

Thank you all for your help.

Cheers
Vince

Dan5
11-01-2008, 09:55 PM
Maybe that's a warning not to over fill the resivoir and over pressure something?

polky
12-01-2008, 01:56 AM
If your cylinder and hyd lines are full then you had better be carefull when topping up resivoir, closed circiut where will oil go when lowering cylinder. Polky.

Far side
12-01-2008, 05:16 PM
I'm pretty sure you can't even get to the filler plug on the suzuki unless the motor is up.

Yes mate thats right

I got this from the service manual thats how they say to do it

VaSyd1
13-01-2008, 05:37 PM
All done now. PT&T works and sounds fine now.

Now all I have to do is replace the seals on the trim cylinders. That's where the fluid is leaking from (very small leak).

Thank you all again

Vince

Blackened
13-01-2008, 05:50 PM
G'day

You fill it when the rams are extended, on most new outboards they need to be in the up position.

On the old blueband merc, they needed to be in the down position, as the resevoir was on board so to speak.

Dave