PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Whitebait?

Reel Nauti
10-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Hi all

My wife has been trying to recall a recipe she had for cooking whitebait but it seems to have been mislaid in our move. I've never eaten it, but Sue says it is absolutely delicious if done properly. I'm not sure if it's fritters or what.

Can anyone help me out with this one please?

Cheers and thanks

Dave

Leighton
10-01-2008, 04:21 PM
White Bait is a Kiwi thing, White Bait Fritters. Try a Google Search

Wahoo
10-01-2008, 06:01 PM
Dave
i just love them fried up and add salt

Daz

Bubba Gump
11-01-2008, 06:32 AM
I think the whitebait you are talking about are different to the ones you make fritters with in NZ. I have had the fritters on the west coast of the south island in NZ and the whitebait are like see through worms, sounds disgusting but they tasted beautiful.
On the other hand we had whitebait at Doyles in Sydney in a seafood basket and they were fried little fish, as I think Wahoo is referring to. Either the way the were both very nice, but I did love the fritters!

darylive
12-01-2008, 04:16 PM
What are you thinking? Put them on a hook! Catch something you can eat.

Mac_Attack
13-01-2008, 11:05 AM
Hi all

My wife has been trying to recall a recipe she had for cooking whitebait but it seems to have been mislaid in our move. I've never eaten it, but Sue says it is absolutely delicious if done properly. I'm not sure if it's fritters or what.

Can anyone help me out with this one please?

Cheers and thanks

Dave

Hey Dave check these websites out might help?
http://www.harvestfields.ca/harvest/cookbooks/cook/40.htm
http://www.foodlovers.co.nz/recipes/display.php?id=725
Cheers Nick 8-)

ausswi
15-01-2008, 11:46 PM
u cant beat nz white bait,i grew up on the stuff,love it .just mixed with a egg and fry in butter,dont use the chinese whitebait.which look like smelts,cos they r crap,all thee best

Reel Nauti
16-01-2008, 11:51 AM
Thanks everyone for your help.

Dave

Volvo
19-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Best and easiest way is to just roll them in flour, dust/shake off excess and drop in hot oil for coupla minutes..Nice crisp and :D ..
Otherwise , batter and deep fry...:) ..
Cheers