PDA

View Full Version : Opti90 or Suzi90

andkat
10-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Hi all, I'm a newbie!!8-)
In the process of getting a new boat, ( 5.5 Surtee's,or if in Aus 530c Barcrusher),
Fully optioned.
The only thing that I am struggling with, is the power plant.
Reading the reviews on this site on outboards, leaves me wondering which way to go?:-/
I like the Suzi 90 4st, as alot of people seem to be happy, but yet a large number also seem to be happy with the OPTI90.
What I would like is your real honest opinion on both:)
cheers
Andrew C

breamnut
10-01-2008, 04:17 PM
there 2 different motors. ones a 4 stroke and ones a 2 stoke so its hard to say

Shanoss
10-01-2008, 04:28 PM
You dont want either Andrew. Etecs are the flavour of the month. Just listen to all the happy Etec owners on this site that feel compelled to tell you how bloody wonderfull they are.
But back to the topic...... I have a suzuki myself, and yes, they will cost you a little more in servicing than a 2 Stroke. But they are less noisy than an Opti, they dont blow smoke and they are very reliable. You wont have to worry about taking oil with you and the 4 Stroke will be a bit better on fuel. But then you have to weigh up the initial costs of purchasing the motor, warrantys etc. Horses for courses mate.

Good luck

andkat
10-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Sorry,

Only after the 90 4 stroke.
Interested in what others have fitted and whether they should have chosen something else?
Currently the Suzi 90 4str is out front, but after reading a few reviews in this site maybe the Opti 90 4str isn't that bad after all.?8-)

Shanoss
10-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Andrew, are you aware the Opti is not a 4 Stroke?

disorderly
10-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Andrew, are you aware the Opti is not a 4 Stroke?

Geez shanoss,he's a potential suzuki owner.
Awareness is not a prerequisitehttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gif

andkat
10-01-2008, 04:43 PM
Cheers Shanoss:)
Seems a few are happy with the Bomber's, but horese for courses, I'm not after a 2 stroke!!:)
I've narrowed it down to these two, but are keeping the Grey motor in the back of my mind, my mate runs a 6.1 Surtee's with a 200hp Suzi, he's happy as you know what, but I'm keen to get feedback on other 4 strokes.
Like with all power plants there are gonna be horroe storie's, but the more onfo and feedack you can get, the better decision's you can make.
My brother in law is a Pro Ab diver, he sware's by Yam's, but just recenlty made the comment that they were impredded with the Suzi donks, as there performance and fuel economy was up there with the two major's?
So I'm only hoping to get as much feedback to help me look at he pitfalls and plus's of the above donks!!!!:D

Shanoss
10-01-2008, 04:43 PM
Geez shanoss,he's a potential suzuki owner.
Awareness is not a prerequisitehttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gif

Unlike gullibilty is to Etec owners?:-X :P

andkat
10-01-2008, 04:46 PM
:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ Cheers Shanoss, I was under the impression that the optimax were a 4stroke!!!!:-[
Now put's the Suzi90 in a better postion!!!:-*
Might look at the Yam100!!:-*

Shanoss
10-01-2008, 04:47 PM
I must be missing something here...... You are asking about an OPTI 90 and a Suzuki 90 are you not? You then state that you only want a 4 Stroke, yet an OPTI is actually a DI 2 Stroke.. what am i missing?

Shanoss
10-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Disregard last post. I'm pleased to see you have it now.

andkat
10-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Cheer's Shanoss
So what are your Negatives and Positives about the Suzi? Or should you have gone for another motor!:)

Shanoss
10-01-2008, 05:03 PM
Cheer's Shanoss
So what are your Negatives and Positives about the Suzi? Or should you have gone for another motor!:)

i have the 200hp, so i cant vouch for the 90. but i'm assuming that most characteristics remain the same.

Positves: Fuel Economy, quiet running, Reliabiltiy, Good reviews, good warranty, looks good, etc.

Negatives: still have'nt come across any.

andkat
10-01-2008, 05:09 PM
i have the 200hp, so i cant vouch for the 90. but i'm assuming that most characteristics remain the same.

Positves: Fuel Economy, quiet running, Reliabiltiy, Good reviews, good warranty, looks good, etc.

Negatives: still have'nt come across any.;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Say no more;D ;D ;D ;D

disorderly
10-01-2008, 05:39 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Say no more;D ;D ;D ;D

Mate, shanoss is at least honest when he says he cant vouch for the 90.
His motor is a V6 whereas the one you are asking about is an inline 4 cylinder.
TOTALLY different motor to the one shanoss has.
Apparently he has had no problem with his, so he cant provide any feedback on Haines/Suzuki warranty work-if ever needed either.
Maybe you need to do a little bit of research initially to find out firstly weather a 90 4 stroke is actually big enough to adequately power the hulls you are thinking of and then to do a genuine comparison (weight, power etc).
ie. the Suzi 90 weighs more than 20 kg's more than the yami 90.(that's a hell of a lot in this class of motor).
Dont be to drawn too much purely towards brands these days as I personally think they are all pretty good.Better to ask questions about who will be your servicing agent and what they are like.
Good luck

scott

Luke G
10-01-2008, 10:13 PM
I've got a 115 suzuki and its brillient, a mate has the 90 and he has had no problems either.

Cheers

Dan5
10-01-2008, 10:55 PM
Hey mate you might want to look at the 115 suzi as it's the same weight/engine as the 90.I had the 70 suzi 4strk which i bought new in 2000 and used it on my work boat i kept the engine for 6 years putting over 4700 hrs on it.The only problems i had were 2 trim solenoid's,1 regulator/rectifiyer ,tacho gauge stopped working.A few other small normal maitenence thing's like impellor/water pump housing/gearbox seal's etc all in all it never failed to get me or my client's home once.A few mate's have the 115 suzi and have had no real problem's i don't know about the 90 as they tend to go bigger hp.I know of 3 other 70's that have done over 4000 hrs they seem to be a very reliable engine and very quiet and fuel efficent.Hope this help's Dan...........

gone_phishin
11-01-2008, 05:34 AM
I have a 115 Suzi 4 stroke and if you can afford it, and the boat you get will take it, that's the way I'd go. Just that much more power and no problems at all so far (200+ hours).

Geoff

Spaniard_King
11-01-2008, 02:45 PM
CHeck the specs on a Honda 90 compared to the suzi... the suzi has been out in that for for a while where as Honda has just released a new 90hp :)

Rodman
11-01-2008, 05:32 PM
Hi all, I'm a newbie!!8-)
In the process of getting a new boat, ( 5.5 Surtee's,or if in Aus 530c Barcrusher),
Fully optioned.
The only thing that I am struggling with, is the power plant.
Reading the reviews on this site on outboards, leaves me wondering which way to go?:-/
I like the Suzi 90 4st, as alot of people seem to be happy, but yet a large number also seem to be happy with the OPTI90.
What I would like is your real honest opinion on both:)
cheers
Andrew C
Mate they do make a 4st Mercury 90hp.
I have one and it goes well.

Ken

Moonlighter
11-01-2008, 06:35 PM
Andy

I did a lot of investigation into 90hp "new technology" outboards a while ago before I bought my Tohatsu TLDI 90. The issues in making the decision, as always, seem to be:

Reliability/reputation
Purchase price
Servicing costs
Warranty
Weight
Physical size

In my case, weight on the transom was critical and the 4 strokers were just so much heavier in this HP range, and still are! At least 30 to 40kg heavier, I seem to recall!

The e-tec and tohatsu 90's are by far the lightest weight in this hp range, and at the time I purchased the Tohatsu it came up trumps:

Being made in Japan = reliability

Very good purchase price, was nearly 3K less than an e-tec at the time, and e-tecs had just been released with ?'s about their reliability, that have since been overcome.

Servicing costs Tohatsu comparible or less than 4 strokes, but a bit more than normal 2 strokes

Warranty - about the same as most at the time.

Physical size = a tiny bit bigger than the standard 2 stroke. By the way, the Merc 90hp 4 stroke is huge, and the Opti is almost as big! Have a look at one, you'll see what I mean!!

The Tohatsu has turned out a good choice, run it for more than 3 years and 300hrs with no problems.

Fuel economy - well, lets put it this way, the way the e-tec converts on Ausfish prattle on about how little fuel they use, I'd be happy to put the Tohatsu up against any one of them, anytime!

I hear great reports about the Suzi, but agree with others that because the 90 is just a de-rated 115, if your boat is rated to 115, then that would be a better choice.

Good luck!!

Grant

andkat
12-01-2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks Grant,
I have also done a little more homework since posting,:)
At this stage the budget is stretched, I would love a 115 Suz, but the budget the won't stretch, the hull is rated 75-115, so I went for the mid range.
What I think it all bowls down to is what I feel comfortable with.
I am getting a very good deal on the Suz 90 with the boat, so I can't complain.
Mate just fitted a 75 Etec on the back of his Stacer, and he's wrapped.
So horses for courses.
Now I just have to make my mind up on whether Lowrance or Raymarine for the Fishfinder/Chartplotter!!:) Theres another post!!!!!:)

Wahoo
12-01-2008, 04:05 PM
gday andcat

no matter what mota you will end up with, you will think its the beez neez, i do and most fishos do, and so we should, alot of hard earned $$$$$ forked out
the Suzi are a good motor IMO

good luck on your new adventure

my next new boat will house twin motors, 225 E-tec and a 200 Opti just to even things out;D;D;D;D:P

Daz

disorderly
12-01-2008, 04:23 PM
my next new boat will house twin motors, 225 E-tec and a 200 Opti just to even things out;D;D;D;D:P

Daz

Now there's an idea Daz.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif
Wouldn't want to try an E-Tec/opti on one side and a suzi/honda/verado on the other though.
Could end up turning in very tight circles.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif
If you know what I meanhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

Wahoo
12-01-2008, 05:36 PM
Could end up turning in very tight circles.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gif;D
If you know what I mean;D

LOL ........................ now which way;D;D

Daz

disorderly
12-01-2008, 06:50 PM
LOL ........................ now which way;D;D

Daz

Mate,No doubt you have seen the original E-Tec DVD....now we have given the E-Tec marketing people some more food for thought..............Stand by for the sequel http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gif
How does a kevlar cat 2400 at full noise doing circlework strike you!http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif
Which way?...well I guess that all depends on which side the E-Tec is onhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif.

Scott