PDA

View Full Version : eskys?

o bag
09-01-2008, 09:15 PM
my swivel seat on my boat has come out of the ply again, im thinking becuase it is ply screws would just get week over time and the pressure of someone sitting and leaning going over choppy conditions also i think would have contributed to it, and this is the third time its happened and they have all been new holes when i have put the seat back in as well, im thinking of just getting an esky with a cusion using it as a seat and of course an esky, what is the best way to fix it tho the floor??, some sort of bracket i can make, there is heaps of aluminium at work like 50x150mm i cut and fix it to the floor?any advice will be appreciated....cheers have a good rest of the week

finga
09-01-2008, 09:26 PM
Some blokes just glue strips of the hooky part of velcro to the bottom of the esky.
The hooky bit of the velcro sticks to carpet like poop to a blanket.

kitch76
09-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Maybe if you mount some tiedown points on the floor and get some straps fron the handles to these tie downs. or buy a waeco tiedown kit ( http://www.waeco.com.au/products.asp?id=419&catId=&subCatId=&subCatId2= )

BaitThrower
09-01-2008, 09:50 PM
Can you get to the underside of the plywood? If so, I'd try some Tee Nuts to secure your seat. These would be much stronger with less chance of pulling out. You drill the holes, wack these in with a hammer so the "teeth" dig in around the hole, then use an appropriate sized and threaded screw/bolt to secure the seat down.

Attached a piccie of the Tee Nuts. You can get em from any good hardware store.

PinHead
10-01-2008, 02:27 AM
i would be more concerned about checking the quality of the ply..the correct screws in decent ply would hold anything. perhaps some dry rot or similar in the ply.

Cheech
10-01-2008, 09:18 AM
Do you have an extra piece of ply glued or screwed to teh floor so that you are screwing your seat base into double thickness? If not, give that a try. 15mm ply is not enough for the screws to bite and keep hold. Cut out a piece of ply the same shape as the seat base. Glue and screw this to the current location, and then when it sets, drill new holes into the double thickness. Most use coachbolts as the thread is very course.

Cheech

PADDLES
10-01-2008, 09:39 AM
if the floor of your boat is carpeted then even just an offcut of marine carpet glued to the bottom the esky will not only stop it sliding around in the boat but also protect the esky when your drag it into the back of the ute or move it around on concrete etc. at home. that's all we do to our eskies.

o bag
10-01-2008, 03:30 PM
bait thrower, how thick does the ply have to be for them?it is only 15mm should i do what cheech said and add another bit of ply so the those teeth arent coming out of the floor?

death_ship
10-01-2008, 04:42 PM
try sikaflex under your pedestals, they wont move, even without screws

dogsbody
10-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Get some of that alli from your work and drill a hole in it and put it on the underside of your floor and use stainless bolts to hold ya seat down. That will stop it pulling out.

Dave.

BigE
10-01-2008, 08:38 PM
finga is on the money velcro on the bottem of the esky

BigE