PDA

View Full Version : haines 520sf feedback

hornets
09-01-2008, 08:49 AM
thinking of buying 520sf. can I get some feedback .I am looking to use for fishing @skiing . Is 115 yamaha good size.

Argle
09-01-2008, 10:34 AM
G'day mate, is the 115 a two or a four stroke? If its a two stroke you should have no trouble pulling a skier - two up might be a bit of a struggle depending on how big the skiers are. I used to have two props for my old boat, one for skiing had heaps of low down grunt and could pull up two skiers but not a huge top end, and one for fishing which would still get a single skier up(but not two) and much better top end, which was good for the dam fishing I used to do. If its a four stroke im not sure if it would be that crash hot for skiing, ive never tried but my thoughts would be it might be a bit sluggish off the mark. Haines boats are good things in most respects, take it for a test run and see what you think and dont forget to chuck a skier in to try it out too!

Cheers and Beers
Scott

Reel Blue
09-01-2008, 11:02 AM
In 1994 I purchased a new Haines Hunter 520 SF with a 90hp Evinrude Two Stroke motor. I kept the boat for four years and used it at Noosa and Rainbow Beach. I used the boat for offshore fishing mainly but did ski with it as well. The boat is extremely predicatable with its handling and is flawless in a following sea. I would think the 115 Yamaha would be a good match. My hull was only rated to 115hp in any case. I bought the boat after reading a very favourable right up in the Fishermen and Boatowner Magazine that compared the HH 520Sf, Cruisecraft 510, Signature 530, Seafarer Viking 5.5 and Southwind SF17. You will be happy with this boat.

death_ship
09-01-2008, 04:30 PM
115 will be heaps 2 or 4 stroke

Guido
09-01-2008, 04:52 PM
Hornets,

We were looking at this boat several years ago along with the 500 Cruisecraft Explorer. Both with 115's. Although we didn't see the Haines in person, all reports were that it was a very capable boat. We were swayed towards the Cruisecraft in the end because of its deck space and lower price. In the end, we didn't end up with a new boat anyway, but looking back now that 520 would have been a great riding hull with it's deep V.

Guido

dunmears
10-01-2008, 07:00 AM
I bought a new 520sf when they first came out, it was fitted with a Merc. 115 2st. I think 115hp was the max. you could power them with. It was fairly basic inside, no carpet no padded bunks no rear lounge but it was a fantastic boat for outside fishing and it could handle any conditions, it was fairly stable at rest and the 115hp was a good matchup with this hull. I had to sell it as I went half ownership with my son and he decided to do something stupid like buying a house and needed some money. I now have a Yaltacraft 535 cuddy with a 115 Yammy 2st on it and it reminds me of the Haines a lot. I think the Haines 520sf ( sf as in sports fisherman ) would be an excellnt boat to buy providing it is in good nik.