PDA

View Full Version : Hydro Steering Fitout help needed

Lovey80
08-01-2008, 10:47 PM
Hi all, I have to replace my steering cable on my 4.3 Webster CC and with a repower down the track from 40 to 60. There's no chance im replacing the cables now just to put Hydraulic on with the repower if i can help it. So I was thinking Hydro steering now. Problem is I know bugger all about Hydro steering.:-[

A few questions of my own (feel free anyone else contemplating your own)

1. I'm told 60HP yammies have their own set ups but other than these will Hydro steering be compatible from my current 40 Evinrude 2 Smoke to all other 60HP engines.

2. What parts all up do i need for the refit. I see cylinders being sold on ebay etc but with out helm pumps.

3. The room under the CC/floor is VERY tight so the bends will have to be tight also, is this a problem with hydro lines? Or can 90deg angles be cut into the line like a water pipe?

4. What units are good/what are rubbish?

5. Forgetting the rubbish units whats the cheapest way out of this as cash after chrissy is more than tight?

Any help will be greatly appreaciated.

Cheers Chris

Lovey80
09-01-2008, 11:32 AM
Bump!

cheers chris

PADDLES
09-01-2008, 01:18 PM
g'day chris, i installed a hydrive sidemount system just before chrissy. you'll be looking at around $800 for a side mount cylinder and a smidgin more for bullhorn type kit. (there's a kit for sale in the classified section for $725 i think) you'll probably need to chat to a rep about compatability between the 2 motors but it should be ok with the bullhorn type but you may need a different length extension rod (that goes through the tilt tube) for a side mount one. standard hydrive kits come with a black plastic pressure tubing that won't go around real tight corners but you can use copper piping (you'll need to buy new fittings) but if your boat's alloy, i'd be super careful with keeping it isolated from the hull. hydrive and seastar are the 2 big names i've had both and they're much the same quality i reckon with the hydrive being slightly cheaper. hydrive has a website by the way, google is your friend.

gofishin
09-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Hydrive, Sea (& Bay) Star will all have options to suit. I don’t know your setup, but I’m guessing you will need a bullhorn ram in lieu of sidemount. Best thing is to talk to some chandlers/marine merchants.

PS. Was your prop shaft OK after the bump?

Lovey80
09-01-2008, 03:46 PM
Yeh mate the shaft is fine. I think the pressure releif on the trim tilt saved me

Cheers Chris

Moonlighter
09-01-2008, 06:57 PM
Gidday Chris

I also self-installed a Hydrive side mount system about 4 years ago on a Yammy 70hp - you won't know yourself after you've gone to Hydrive - like having power steering, no more fighting the torque when trimmed in tight. The advice in previous posts to look at their website is good as it will tell you if there's anything special required for various motors.

I don't think there's any doubt that the best way to buy is to get a complete kit new. Sum of the individual parts will be more than a kit - I was lucky and got mine at a BIAS boating 15% off everything sale - usually around boat show BIAS, Whitworths or Glascraft seem to have these sales so I'd be looking out for one of them. Maybe could be some good deals in April around the tinnie & tackle show time.

Its a pretty striaght-forward job to install if you're reasonaby handy, good instructions and being made in Aussie they are only a phone call away if you have any problems. You will need at least 2 people when it comes time to fill with hydraulic fluid and bleed the system, but that's the final job in the installation and again if you follow the instructions TO THE LETTER you'll have no problems.

Had mine on now for several years and the only problem was when I replaced the motor, the dealer who installed the new Tohatsu TLDI 90 neglected to put one critical spacer/lock nut back on where the cylinder attaches to the tilt tube, and chewed a seal out as a result. However Hydrive knew straight away what the problem was and supplied a new seal.

Re going round tight corners, the others are right, the special HD plastic hyd tube they are supplied with won't do right-angle bends but you can definitely get brass or ss 90 deg and 60 deg fittings that will take care of this from most hydraulic suppliers and probably from hydrive themselves.

Don't know your location but FYI Hydrive's Qld warehouse is located at Cleveland.

Grant

Lovey80
10-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Thanks Grant, heaps of info there. So what should I expect to pay for a Hydrive front mount package?

Cheers Chris

VaSyd1
10-01-2008, 09:39 PM
So what should I expect to pay for a Hydrive front mount package?

Paid $899 for an Admiral HyDrive bullhorn kit just over a year ago. Best thing I've done on the boat. Fitted it to the tilt tube of a 115 Yamaha and it's like power steering under any condition.

Bias Boating and Whitworths currently list the same unit in their catalog for $949

Cheers
Vince

Grand_Marlin
11-01-2008, 09:35 AM
G'day Chris,

I supply and fit the Seastar / Baystar units which are a Teleflex / Morse product supplied through BLA.

The Seastar front mount (bullhorn) is the better unit, but is dearer $1050

The Baystar front mount (bullhorn) will be fine for your smaller outboards $800
This is what I would choose for your boat.

The side mount is about $600 and will fit most outboard tilt tubes, but you need a minimum of about 350mm space for it to opoerate in (being mounted on the side)
They are also more prone to damage from bein stepped on.
Theya re also an "unbalanced" sylinder which do not perform as well as the balanced front mount units.

These kits come with everything, including the correct hydraulic fluid.

It will be possible to get a unit to fit both your old motor and the new motor, if I know the following:

What is the year model of your Evinrude?

What brand will the new 60hp motor be?
2 stroke or 4 stroke?
What year model?

There are several different kits available, and you have to be careful that you get one that is compatible with both motors, or you will find yourself buying a new hydraulic ram.

If you get the right kit, all that varies between the old and new motors will be a readily available, cheap, spacer kit.

Cheers

Pete

Lovey80
11-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Thanks GM, I currently have a 40HP, 1997, 2 Stroke. I would like to repower with a 60HP 4stroke Yamaha if at all possible but am told that the 60HP 4st yammie is different to even their 50HP and needs the right cylinder.

In the Baystar unit do the hydraulic cables move at all? I am lead to beleive that it is an advantage to have the hoses stationary.

Cheers Chris

PADDLES
11-01-2008, 04:05 PM
there's 3 sorts chris,

- sidemount, the cylinder is attached to the tilt tube end and actuates a rod through the tilt tube to a drag link. the lines are stationary because the cylinder is fixed.

- bullhorn, the cylinder is linked to the front of the outboard body and actuates via a rod on each side of it that is linked to the two tilt tube ends via little bull horns. the lines move with the outboard and the other fuel/control lines etc.

- front mount, the cylinder bolts to the fixed part of the outboard (in front of the tilt tube) where it attaches to the transom and actuates via a rod on each side operating a link to the outboard. the lines do not move because the cylinder is stationary.

i wouldn't be too worried about the lines moving, you tie them to all the other lines going to the outboard and wrap them up with the big flexi plastic thingo

Grand_Marlin
11-01-2008, 07:22 PM
Yep, the 60 Yammie 4 stroke has its own cylinder.

The side mount cylinder would fit both motors, but it is your choice I suppose.

Maybe it is time to replace the donk and steering all at once? (ouch)

Also, dont be concerned with th emovement of the lines, they are very thick walled 3/8 heavy duty nylon hose which will take the movement no worries at all ... keep in mind it is only movig 6 inches each way.
I have never had a drama with these.

Cheers

Pete

Lovey80
11-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Thanks a lot guys for all your help. GM if I had the cash for the repower I would be doing it all at once. The motor I have now, although 10 years old is in fantastic shape and runs really well so I can't justify 9 grand for a repower at this stage. If i got a reasonable offer for the one i have that may change but for now I'll have to keep saving.

Cheers Chris

Grand_Marlin
11-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Cheers Chris, understand totally.

The Side mount, as I said in the last post, would do the job quite well, it just wouldnt be my first choice.

Is there anyway you can repair your existing steering until the time comes to change?

Cheers

Pete

Lovey80
12-01-2008, 01:18 AM
Yeh mate there is of course..... The reason I was making the enquiries is I'd like to have a go fitting it myself to save 300 in mechanics fee's (for the hydro fit out)and didnt want to pull up my floor and feed those hoses through the consol etc again as I have just done my Throttle/Gear cables and it was a pain in the arse. I think in the end that is exactly what is going to happen. I suppose when i sell the current engine having all that gear ready to go will be an advantage.

Cheers Chris

Grand_Marlin
12-01-2008, 08:13 AM
Just another tip, buy the 3/8 nylon tubing and run it through as you go - that way you may be able to slide your other cable out when you replace the motor?

Cheers

Pete